Should America grow up and seriously restrict gun use/ownership?

Current affairs, Politics, News.

Should America restrict gun use?

Yes
21%
No
21%
Also yes because for fucks sake
46%
I live in the redneck territories of Kent and Essex and think we need more guns.
13%

Total votes: 24

Hoonercat

Re: Should America grow up and seriously restrict gun use/ownership?

Post by Hoonercat »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:06 am
ZRX61 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:54 pm Right now, Biden is the most dangerous person on the planet. Between being a belligerent, egotistical cunt & a senile imbecile the dumb bastard (& General Milley) is going to drop us all into WW3. At least all the other major players are predictable.
Some chap (Matt Taibbi) is being grilled by congress over the Twitter files. The Dems are annoyed that all of their "secret" backroom manipulations are being revealed to the world. Like the embedded FBI agents effectively running Twitter as a propaganda machine for the left or the "Russia collusion" story invented by Hilary Clinton et. al.

On the day he was due to testify, the IRS inexplicably TURNED UP AT HIS HOUSE for no good reason. Clearly someone thought it was a good idea to remind this journalist who he is fucking with.

All it has done is shown more partisan behaviour where the mechanisms of public office are being weaponised by the left.
Got to be the worst attempt at intimidation ever, turning up when he's out and leaving a note which he read after testifying. I wouldn't call identity theft 'no good reason'.
The taxman left a note instructing Mr. Taibbi to call the IRS four days later. Mr. Taibbi was told in a call with the agent that both his 2018 and 2021 tax returns had been rejected owing to concerns over identity theft.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:20 am
DefTrap wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:37 am Is this sort of President-talk worrying or chest-beating for the dull masses or wut? Certainly it's becoming more frequent as 'we' 'choose' (quotes for added drama) increasingly unsuitable Presidents.
It does seem like a constant one upmanship battle of "who can be the biggest macho dick". Speaks volumes on the American psyche really.
What do you do? All but two of the presidents in the past 40 odd years have been macho idiots, Reagan wanted to bomb Russia, Clinton chased anything with a hole and a heartbeat, W was an idiot who wanted a gulf war like his daddy and Trump, well, enough has been written to explain without me doing it.

Only Bush Sr, who had seen actual combat, and Obama came across as relatively sensible.

They should put an upper age limit on the job, there's not a hope that an 80 year old man will have the faculties of a 50yo.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

The US presidential election system is a farce.

Apart from the complex system of Primaries, Caucuses, Electoral Colleges and whatever, only millionaires need apply.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Hoonercat wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:59 am
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:06 am Some chap (Matt Taibbi) is being grilled by congress over the Twitter files. The Dems are annoyed that all of their "secret" backroom manipulations are being revealed to the world. Like the embedded FBI agents effectively running Twitter as a propaganda machine for the left or the "Russia collusion" story invented by Hilary Clinton et. al.

On the day he was due to testify, the IRS inexplicably TURNED UP AT HIS HOUSE for no good reason. Clearly someone thought it was a good idea to remind this journalist who he is fucking with.

All it has done is shown more partisan behaviour where the mechanisms of public office are being weaponised by the left.
Got to be the worst attempt at intimidation ever, turning up when he's out and leaving a note which he read after testifying. I wouldn't call identity theft 'no good reason'.
The taxman left a note instructing Mr. Taibbi to call the IRS four days later. Mr. Taibbi was told in a call with the agent that both his 2018 and 2021 tax returns had been rejected owing to concerns over identity theft.
Yes I saw that claim which was made after the fact. Given that you appear to accept that IRS agents did in fact turn up at this reporters address, how often do they make such house calls? Is it relatively common or as has been suggested, vanishingly rare? Don't you think they'd write first to express their concerns?

Is it then just a "coincidence" that at or around the time of this journalists testimony :hmmm: somebody decided now was a good time for the IRS to pay him a visit? Just a coincidence right? Really? You believe that?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Pretty sure that literally everyone who has done something serious enough to warrant a house-call from the authorities, also claims that they never ignored the one million warning letters, it was the first they ever heard of it. If you're a council house dweller not paying your bills you call it "unfairness from The Man", if you're middle-class living in a shiny house probably you call it "mechanisms of public office ... being weaponised by the left"
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:37 am For parity, just a reminder that Trump threatened 'fire and fury' on Kim Jong Un (after Trump, the second most volatile World leader) and to 'totally destroy' NK back in 2017, whilst also planning to blame it on someone else. Nice. When you've ousted sad-sack Biden, this is who is waiting in the wings. Win.
Is this sort of President-talk worrying or chest-beating for the dull masses or wut? Certainly it's becoming more frequent as 'we' 'choose' (quotes for added drama) increasingly unsuitable Presidents.

Trump also told Putin that if he invaded Ukraine it would be the last thing he did... & Trump was the only President I can think of that didn't start bombing the fuck out of another country.
As for who is waiting in the wings, the Democrats have no one. We can only hope for Desantis.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:07 pm We can only hope for Desantis.
And then you can whinge about that too
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Bigjawa wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:03 am What do you do? All but two of the presidents in the past 40 odd years have been macho idiots, Reagan wanted to bomb Russia, Clinton chased anything with a hole and a heartbeat, W was an idiot who wanted a gulf war like his daddy and Trump, well, enough has been written to explain without me doing it.

Only Bush Sr, who had seen actual combat, and Obama came across as relatively sensible.

They should put an upper age limit on the job, there's not a hope that an 80 year old man will have the faculties of a 50yo.
Have you sen Yellen testify recently? We have Minnie Cauldwell running the Treasury
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

weeksy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:08 pm
Have you been back on the booze this week?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:12 pm
weeksy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:08 pm
Have you been back on the booze this week?
Back? You know something I don't? I've not stopped.

But I'm not sure 1 bottle of beer in an evening really counts as drinking
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:07 pm
DefTrap wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:37 am For parity, just a reminder that Trump threatened 'fire and fury' on Kim Jong Un (after Trump, the second most volatile World leader) and to 'totally destroy' NK back in 2017, whilst also planning to blame it on someone else. Nice. When you've ousted sad-sack Biden, this is who is waiting in the wings. Win.
Is this sort of President-talk worrying or chest-beating for the dull masses or wut? Certainly it's becoming more frequent as 'we' 'choose' (quotes for added drama) increasingly unsuitable Presidents.

Trump also told Putin that if he invaded Ukraine it would be the last thing he did... & Trump was the only President I can think of that didn't start bombing the fuck out of another country.
As for who is waiting in the wings, the Democrats have no one. We can only hope for Desantis.
Trump fired off a loaf of cruise missiles when he saw dead children on CNN IIRC.

Probably Fox News thinking about it.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Wiki says you're right:

On the morning of 7 April 2017,[5][6] the United States launched 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles from the Mediterranean Sea into Syria, aimed at Shayrat Airbase controlled by the Syrian government.[6][7][8] The strike was executed under responsibility of U.S. President Donald Trump, as a direct response to the Khan Shaykhun chemical attack that occurred on 4 April.[7][9]
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Horse wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:30 pm Wiki says you're right:

On the morning of 7 April 2017,[5][6] the United States launched 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles from the Mediterranean Sea into Syria, aimed at Shayrat Airbase controlled by the Syrian government.[6][7][8] The strike was executed under responsibility of U.S. President Donald Trump, as a direct response to the Khan Shaykhun chemical attack that occurred on 4 April.[7][9]
Short memories. Trump firing actual cruise missiles is fine, we can fergit about that. But the World is Ending because Biden has his puppet strings on Twitter maybe and is using the IRS to intimidate witnesses probably.

I think they're both mental old fools as it happens, but I'm just an old Marxist who's not scouring the YouTube basement looking for tidbits of 'proof'.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:28 pm Trump fired off a loaf of cruise missiles when he saw dead children on CNN IIRC.

Probably Fox News thinking about it.
The US had already been bombing that shithole for years, it wasn't a *new* target... which I thought you could/should have figured out. Biden did the same thing, but is unable to explain why US troops are there.... but he did whine about Iran also doing the exact same thing.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Its just selective memory.

If you'd asked me to guess "how many US presidents in the last 50 years bombed a foreign country" I would guess "all of them". I don't actually know the record of each of them when it comes to "starting" wars, but I suspect any claim that Trump didn't is on pretty shaky ground.

Literally 5s of Googling on Trump for example...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.busine ... 0-10%3famp
Horse

Post by Horse »

Never mind banning guns, Sunak is banning potholes!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65137351
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:12 pm Never mind banning guns, Sunak is banning potholes!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65137351
That photo makes it look like the pothole is being subjected to some sort of public schoolboy hazing ritual.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:29 pm
You won't get any arguments from me. But I think older folk get a lot of unkind extra flack for demonstrating traits that folk decades younger also often show, and get away with. I'm in my 50s - Can I remember random peoples names? Nope. Because I can't be arsed.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:12 pm You won't get any arguments from me. But I think older folk get a lot of unkind extra flack for demonstrating traits that folk decades younger also often show, and get away with. I'm in my 50s - Can I remember random peoples names? Nope. Because I can't be arsed.
I think a case could be made for charging his wife (& possibly others) with elder abuse.