Palace racism row

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Ant

Re: Palace racism row

Post by Ant »

JamJar wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:02 am
ZRX61 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:58 pm
Mussels wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:41 pm The kind of ignorance when someone makes up a name to them sound African but doesn't bother to check the areas of ethnic groups the name comes from.
She went all out to pretend she was from Africa and then got offended when someone thought she was from Africa. More likely she got offended when she realised she was caught out as a fraud.
And now it's being reported that the origins of the name she picked were well known slave traders.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Are you that dim that you think only one person in Africa would have had that name?
Well what's good for tarring everyone else with (think whitey getting the blame for generations before being linked to slavery), should be good for her......

Talking about slaves, we never hear the Irish up in arms at the Africans?
Horse

Post by Horse »

demographic wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:28 am Go back far enough and all our ancestors were from Africa weren't they?
"Well, mummy and daddy particles found their way to Earth on a meteriorite. Then, after an awfully long time, including an absolute age in a swamp, we crawled out and evolved to a stage where we were captured and imprisoned - not by one if your relatives, surely? - and taken to the 'West Indies' for work as slaves.

"So, yes, I'm 'from' the Caribbean. Is that what you had in mind from the start?"
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

demographic wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:28 am
Meh, daft old bints words do seem rather more of an interrogation than a conversation but I'm sure the Daily Mail has other ideas.
I found out last weekend that random people do do that sort of 'interrogation' on meeting someone!! Went to a dinner with some friends - the dinner was at their neighbours place, so I didn't know anyone but my two friends. One woman literally seemed to have a list of questions at me. No chance of conversation, just quick fire questions of interrogation!!

I was a bit bemused! She wasn't 'that' old (late 50's maybe). So I guess it's just some peoples' style. (She didn't actually converse with me the rest of the night!! LOL). Mind you, she was also the most vocal on the 'brits will never sound french as you can't change how sounds are made in your mouth' - I have a couple of brit friends who the french can't tell are not french, but, given the interrogation early, I didn't want to disagree!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Quite a lot of conversion is question led as normal. It's how we build common ground to have...er...conversation.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Skub wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:02 pm Quite a lot of conversion is question led as normal. It's how we build common ground to have...er...conversation.
Oh it is. But I always thought conversation was a two way thing!!! Not just having questions fired, replying and not having time to ask the questioner a question in return!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Noggin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:25 pm
Skub wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:02 pm Quite a lot of conversion is question led as normal. It's how we build common ground to have...er...conversation.
Oh it is. But I always thought conversation was a two way thing!!! Not just having questions fired, replying and not having time to ask the questioner a question in return!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
What makes you think that? Please sit down while I question you further. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

JamJar wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:02 am Are you that dim that you think only one person in Africa would have had that name?
Are you that dim that you think names aren't tribal in Africa (or even in the UK)?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Noggin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:49 am I found out last weekend that random people do do that sort of 'interrogation' on meeting someone!! Went to a dinner with some friends - the dinner was at their neighbours place, so I didn't know anyone but my two friends. One woman literally seemed to have a list of questions at me. No chance of conversation, just quick fire questions of interrogation!!

I was a bit bemused! She wasn't 'that' old (late 50's maybe). So I guess it's just some peoples' style. (She didn't actually converse with me the rest of the night!! LOL). Mind you, she was also the most vocal on the 'brits will never sound french as you can't change how sounds are made in your mouth' - I have a couple of brit friends who the french can't tell are not french, but, given the interrogation early, I didn't want to disagree!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I run into that sometimes over here. Some guy recently asked my name, I reply "Rick" then he got quite offended that I didn't mention my surname & went on at some length in an attempt to force me to tell him as if his day wouldn't be complete without knowing.. which just made me more determined not to tell him. Eventually I just laughed at him which further annoyed him & made it even funnier.
Another guy wanted to know my entire life history like I was being interrogated by the rozzers, Told that muppet to "find another hobby"
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:53 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:49 am I found out last weekend that random people do do that sort of 'interrogation' on meeting someone!! Went to a dinner with some friends - the dinner was at their neighbours place, so I didn't know anyone but my two friends. One woman literally seemed to have a list of questions at me. No chance of conversation, just quick fire questions of interrogation!!

I run into that sometimes over here. Some guy recently asked my name, I reply "Rick" then he got quite offended that I didn't mention my surname & went on at some length in an attempt to force me to tell him as if his day wouldn't be complete without knowing.. which just made me more determined not to tell him. Eventually I just laughed at him which further annoyed him & made it even funnier.
Another guy wanted to know my entire life history like I was being interrogated by the rozzers, Told that muppet to "find another hobby"
I've had people get really pissy because my first name isn't exactly normal (it was a made up name and now the legal name). I ended up getting my driving licence out to shut one guy up. WTAF? I've told you my name, now just FO!! LOL (Alcohol usually causes that issue - their intake, not mine!!)
Ant

Post by Ant »

DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I mean yeah she's right obviously. It's a storm in a teacup, probably a misunderstanding, a minor culture clash, finishing up with some opportunistic free publicity.

Daily Mail readers should be forced to watch it with the lights off so they can be horrified who said it when the lights come up.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Mussels wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:41 pm
Bwana wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:46 pm
Mussels wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:01 pm
But which one is more ignorant?
That depends upon what you mean by ignorant I suppose. Ms Fulani is ignorant of her family tree due to a lack of record keeping. SH is ignorant of the history that resulted in Ms Fulani's ignorance.
If you're talking of the outrage over the event, I dunno, I don't have an acquaintance with either party.

I can see getting mildly frustrated over the conversation...

SH: Mr. Bwana, that's an odd name, where are you from?
Me: Maryland.
SH: No, Where are you from originally?
Me: Alabama, then Tennessee
SH: Noo, where does your family come from?
Me: Mom's from Iowa, Dad's From Pennsylvania.
SH: No no no, before that.
Me: Mom's side of the family from England, Dad's From Germany.
SH: Can you be more specific?
Me: No.
SH: Oh c'mon now, you must know in great detail, spill it please.
Me: walks away while thinking what an annoying woman she is
The kind of ignorance when someone makes up a name to them sound African but doesn't bother to check the areas of ethnic groups the name comes from.
She went all out to pretend she was from Africa and then got offended when someone thought she was from Africa. More likely she got offended when she realised she was caught out as a fraud.
Did she make up the name or was it given to her by her parents?
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

irie wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:17 pm
Bwana wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:59 pm
Yorick wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:30 pm
SH: “No, what part of Africa are YOU from?”

Ms Fulani: “I don’t know, they didn’t leave any records.”
Perhaps it should've ended here. Digging further does reveal a bit of ignorance of history.
Reported that Ngozo Fulani's (aka Marlene Headingly) parents emigrated to the UK from Barbados.

https://news.sky.com/story/who-is-ngozi ... e-12759220
That narrows it down a wee bit.
From teh googlyworksmachine (search barbados history slavery):
Where did the slaves in Barbados come from?
The slaves came from Sierra Leone, Guinea, Ghana,the Ivory Coast, Nigeria and Cameroon. Many slaves did not survive the journey from Africa, but many thousands still reached their destination. See Barbados Saga -Slave Ships and Human bondage. The Barbadians dominated the Caribbean Sugar Industry in these early years.
Ant

Post by Ant »

So it turns out that the Charity Commission has been speaking DIRECTLY with multiple complainants over Ngozi Fulani's 'Sistah Space' in relation to accusations of racial discrimination by the charity and fraud..........
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Ant wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:33 pm So it turns out that the Charity Commission has been speaking DIRECTLY with multiple complainants over Ngozi Fulani's 'Sistah Space' in relation to accusations of racial discrimination by the charity and fraud..........
Right? And?
Ant

Post by Ant »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:36 pm
Ant wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:33 pm So it turns out that the Charity Commission has been speaking DIRECTLY with multiple complainants over Ngozi Fulani's 'Sistah Space' in relation to accusations of racial discrimination by the charity and fraud..........
Right? And?
Right? Yes, quite right.

And I guess we'll see.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Ant wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:57 pm
Right? And?
Right? Yes, quite right.

And I guess we'll see.
I'm still not sure what your point is, your thoughts are, whether you agree or disagree.

Just posting a random provocative comment then not giving any more, just really makes it pointless
Ant

Post by Ant »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:59 pm
Ant wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:57 pm

Right? And?
Right? Yes, quite right.

And I guess we'll see.
I'm still not sure what your point is, your thoughts are, whether you agree or disagree.

Just posting a random provocative comment then not giving any more, just really makes it pointless
I didn't make a point, I shared information.

I'm sorry you find entering a thread where this is the topic of discussion as provocative. I like talking about current affairs, however I know it's not for everyone.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I'm surprised anyone's still talking about it.

There's a theoretical opposite scenario to muse on - where a naturalised whitey of proud Brit heritage turns up at a reception in a Bedouin Prince tent in the desert, dressed in Morris dancing outfit and with a cross of St George as a cape - and is evasive of his heritage
But it just sounds like an episode of It Ain't Half Hot Mum.
Ant

Post by Ant »

https://unherd.com/thepost/now-ngozi-fu ... qC8Fzk3DKc

I bet she wishes she didn't do that now...... :lol: