Underrated bikes

Anything you like about motorbikes
Whysub

Re: Underrated bikes

Post by Whysub »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:40 am I've no idea why the VFR1200 was such a flop. Honda gave it their all and who wouldn't want a big bore version of the 800?

They're cheap as chips.
We had four at work, and universally hated. The suspension was dreadful, with the rear shock getting stiffer and stiffer as it heated up. One at five years old had just 4000 miles on it as no one rode it. Crap.
inewham wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:38 pm I wouldn't mind having a go on a Skorpion Sport though
I had three of those at various times. Tigcraft designed frame, easily tuned Yamaha XTZ 5 valve motor. I also had a Skorpion Replica, but it had been raced in Germany and bodged up after one crash too many.

I'll chuck in the MZ Baghira "Supermoto". Again, the XTZ motor was brilliant (mine was tuned by Steve Ruth) and reliable. Did 13,000 miles on my one in 6 months. Even saw Couchy getting one to wheelie.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Whysub wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:06 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:40 am I've no idea why the VFR1200 was such a flop. Honda gave it their all and who wouldn't want a big bore version of the 800?

They're cheap as chips.
We had four at work, and universally hated. The suspension was dreadful, with the rear shock getting stiffer and stiffer as it heated up. One at five years old had just 4000 miles on it as no one rode it. Crap.
inewham wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:38 pm I wouldn't mind having a go on a Skorpion Sport though
I had three of those at various times. Tigcraft designed frame, easily tuned Yamaha XTZ 5 valve motor. I also had a Skorpion Replica, but it had been raced in Germany and bodged up after one crash too many.

I'll chuck in the MZ Baghira "Supermoto". Again, the XTZ motor was brilliant (mine was tuned by Steve Ruth) and reliable. Did 13,000 miles on my one in 6 months. Even saw Couchy getting one to wheelie.
The baghira was a very good bike, one of the hardest to wheelie though but got there eventually👍

Horse

Post by Horse »

Whysub wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:06 pm

They're cheap as chips.
Was that what the Met SEG had for a while?

They're back on BMW RSs now.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Horse wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:01 pm

Followed a SEG VFR from the traffic lights at Tower Bridge down Lower Thames Street up to Monument. His bike was pissing out water and billowing out steam.

I found them to be hateful bikes, and we never had another 1200 on the fleet. Plus the underside of the shield on the end can is razor sharpe, so clean the bottom of it with extreme care. I didn't and had a bloody great cut to show for it.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Whysub wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:55 pm
Horse wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:01 pm

Followed a SEG VFR from the traffic lights at Tower Bridge down Lower Thames Street up to Monument. His bike was pissing out water and billowing out steam.

I found them to be hateful bikes, and we never had another 1200 on the fleet. Plus the underside of the shield on the end can is razor sharpe, so clean the bottom of it with extreme care. I didn't and had a bloody great cut to show for it.
My mate had a VFR 12 and really liked it. He only had it for a while before he did this to it though so I never got to try it (not the mate in the pic he was still in hospital)