Modern day TDR250

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Re: Modern day TDR250

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm looking forward to this jacked up YPVS with YZ forks and SM wheels he's going to build :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:38 pm I'm looking forward to this jacked up YPVS with YZ forks and SM wheels he's going to build :)
It won't have jacked up forks, it's going to look standard, my current thinking is to get the internals of the standard forks reworked with cartridge emulators.

I'm in a very happy mood this afternoon, yet again I've done something at work that someone who claimed to be a network expert said was impossible.
Honda Owner
Potter

Post by Potter »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:36 pm I am well paid, I could buy it and not make much of a dent on savings, but no thanks, I've got a 1983 YPVS 350 that does a very similar job.
That's fair enough but then you don't really want one at all, not even a little bit.
If I can buy something easily without it troubling my finances and I even want it a little bit then I buy it, the only reason I wouldn't is if I really don't want it at all.

Your valve is nothing like the TDR, unless you mean it's got two wheels and a 2T engine. When the TDR came out it was a pretty radical (for the time) step away from the race replica TZR and RDs, it shares an engine configuration but it feels very different to ride than either.
In all the bikes I've owned the TDR is the one that feels the most unique, my LC and Rudge have more in common with each other than either have with the TDR, they're both race reps and you can see the lineage in terms of what they are, but the TDR is something entirely different and I still don't think anyone has made anything that feels the same.

If you don't want a TDR then fair enough, but if you want one, or even something that feels like one, then you'll have to buy a TDR.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I don't want a TDR, I would like a modern bike that does a similar job.

But I'm unlikely to buy anything, but our of what's been suggested so far the XSR700 would be most likely, if Yamaha made an XSR500 that would be a higher candidate.
Honda Owner
Potter

Post by Potter »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:17 am I don't want a TDR, I would like a modern bike that does a similar job.
It doesn't exist, if it did I'd also have one.

You might find something that captures the concept of being a bit different and quirky, which I think a few bikes have done over the last few years, the Caballero 500 being one of them, but you're not going to find a Japanese bike that has broken the mould because you're about thirty years too late for that.

Same for the LC/Valve, people are always on the lookout for the "modern LC" but it doesn't exist, that's why we buy the old ones.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:04 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:59 pm So I've thought about this a bit more, and I've thought "what is it I want about a TDR250" answers below

1. Riding Position
2. Free revving engine around 50bhp
3. Handling suited to poorly surfaced, bumpy B roads
4. Comfy seat
5. Easy to live with

This also made me think what don't I need

1. Loads of ground clearance
2. Big fuel tank
3. Fairing
XT660X

What he said! :thumbup:
Gregor