What bike?

Anything you like about motorbikes
cheb

Re: What bike?

Post by cheb »

Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:02 am I've been looking at the 920's, but I suspect they'll be uncomfortably small for me, maybe I need to go sit on one.

I'm off Triumphs.

The KTM's do interest me.

I really like that Mille. It's got all the right bits and is from a time when they built properly sized motorcycles.
I'd personally steer clear of those MVs.
I don't like the SD.

But I'd have a go at the Aprillia, I rode one ages ago and it was blisteringly fast and handled well, it was a bit of a racing crouch but I don't remember feeling uncomfortable, but you did have to concentrate to ride it, it wasn't a bike to be lazy on.
My mate had one for a few years and had no issues with it, apart from crashing it but that was his fault.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

cheb wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:44 am How about a funny front end: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154234660898 ... SwzVxgdDXp
He's already got the big red bus...aka BMW K.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I didn't think the K series of that era had a FFE.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah its telelever front and paralever rear AFAIK.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yamaha rocket 3
Druid

Post by Druid »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:02 am I've been looking at the 920's, but I suspect they'll be uncomfortably small for me, maybe I need to go sit on one.
The 4 cylinder Brutales are quite roomy. I'm pretty much average height/weight and mine was quite roomy. They're nice bikes with lots of quality touches, even on the cooking versions
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Get the Mille-R. It looks hard to fault. MVs are nicely styled but when you see them in the metal they're all dead wee and nesh.

Personally I'd prefer a Tuono to ride but IMO they don't look as good. The one Weeksy linked to does look nice but he's fucked around with the pegs / rear brake and that's ruined that one for me.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I like Cheb's GTS and I do get that is a funnier front end than most. And a piece of history.

IIRC they were ok to ride but very much a sports tourer. And heavy. I'd be half tempted if they hadn't managed to make such a radical piece of engineering look so bland.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm on Cleethorpes Prom and a bloke just rode past on a mint black and red GSXR1100K.

Ho hum.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:50 pm I'm on Cleethorpes Prom and a bloke just rode past on a mint black and red GSXR1100K.

Ho hum.
Have you tracked him down yet?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Why is there a prom at Cleethorpes?
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The never ending fiasco of will he won't he buy a bike continues....

Went to look at the local GSXR...

It was exactly how you'd expect a reasonably looked after 30 odd year old bike to be.

It was mechanically sound (except for the slightly weeping fork seals). The engine sounded good and it was all very very stock. No bodges, not missing any trim/parts, etc..

Cosmetically it was tired, very tired. You can't see it in the pictures, but there's paint rubbed through on all the high points and the alloy has the blooming you'd expect. It's not that difficult to sort out... if the bike was a grand cheaper I'd be tempted. There's just too much to do on a bike he wants £4500 for. He hinted that he might negotiate, but I wouldn't expect more than £150 off the asking price.

I'm a bit disappointed, I was hoping it was going to be nicer and I'd have it in the garage tomogga.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Photos do flatter quite often,as that looks really smart for a 30 y/o bike.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:23 am Yeah its telelever front and paralever rear AFAIK.
Real men ride Duolever! 😉
KungFooBob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:45 pm The never ending fiasco of will he won't he buy a bike continues....

Went to look at the local GSXR...

It was exactly how you'd expect a reasonably looked after 30 odd year old bike to be.

It was mechanically sound (except for the slightly weeping fork seals). The engine sounded good and it was all very very stock. No bodges, not missing any trim/parts, etc..

Cosmetically it was tired, very tired. You can't see it in the pictures, but there's paint rubbed through on all the high points and the alloy has the blooming you'd expect. It's not that difficult to sort out... if the bike was a grand cheaper I'd be tempted. There's just too much to do on a bike he wants £4500 for. He hinted that he might negotiate, but I wouldn't expect more than £150 off the asking price.

I'm a bit disappointed, I was hoping it was going to be nicer and I'd have it in the garage tomogga.
He'll probably get it though, every day that bike sits there, it's gaining a wee bit in value, eventually someone will want it bad enough.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Skub wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:49 pm Photos do flatter quite often,as that looks really smart for a 30 y/o bike.
Indeed, but the GSXR on the tail is actually three different shades of yellow, the corners on the single seat seat cover are rubbed through.

The clutch hose has rubbed through the fairing paint.

The 30 year old brake parts are rusted to fuck, which isn't unexpected, but 30 year old rubber brake hoses are a very bad idea!

Half the paint was missing from the sprocket cover, etc...

It wasn't bad, not for a 30 year old bike, but to me it was a £3500 bike, not a £4500 one.

If you compare it to the M model that was £4999 from that dealer in Rutland, there's no comparison.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I think you're right to leave that one.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It was the same bloke that sold the one with 12 different holes drilled into the top yoke. He's got a 750 on Market Place too. Says he's more into Blandit 12's. There was at least two more under sheets in his outbuilding. Came across a bit of a wide boy... had four chavved up three series beemers in his front garden.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I don't think I'd buy anything from him.