KTM 1290 Super Duke GT review

Anything you like about motorbikes
Hawkman

KTM 1290 Super Duke GT review

Post by Hawkman »

So my final test pilot ride as it were. I'd idly thought about trying a Tiger-something or the new Honda Africa Twin, but I don't have a Triumph dealer close to me, and before the KTM I'd had a couple of Hondas and fancied something different.

I managed to arrange a swift meet up with Mickmellons, previously of the TRC parish at the KTM Centre in Hemel. He's on a 1290 SuperDuke, and we've been chatting online about Super Dukes. The KTM Centre had supplied my current 990 SD, and had a 18 plate 1290 SDGT in stock, so I arranged a test ride on a drier day in the week.

The GT, has slightly less BHP - but still around 170 irrc, and obviously a touring screen and heated grips. As with the 1st generation of SDs they don't look big, and feel as if you sit in them rather than on them - they don't feel like you're riding a "big" bike either. I quick a quick brief on the controls and dash, and set off on a 30min loop from Hemel to Dunstable and back via the back roads. I'm used to how they handle, so I most probably connect better initially with the SD than I do with the other bikes I've test ridden. It carries it's weight well, and as the fuel light is already on the first stop is a petrol station nearby so I get to maneuver at low speed for a mile or so before I set off properly - no dramas there. I find the kickstand a bit fiddly to get down, and finding neutral is a bit finicky too. I get to close to a car in front off me when braking as the front brake isn't as strong as I'm used to - almost have the lever back to the grip, which raises an eyebrow.

Once topped up we bomb up the M1 to the first exit. It gets up to speed easily, but as traffic is heavy I don't crack on too much. Cruise control works fine and is easy to operate. The quickshifter is up only, and works, but isn't as smooth as the Tracer or Multistrada. The screen could be a bit taller, as I get wind noise, but most of it is deflected - if I was to commute in rain etc, then I'd definitely want a taller screen.

I finally get through town traffic after coming off the M1 and get onto some open back roads, and bumpy and twisty back lanes where I can put it through its paces. The first time I open it properly, it's in second when give it a fistful for an overtake, and true to form it pulls and engages warp drive - I can feel the traction control keeping rear in control - but it is a bit of "ye gods!" moment - but all under control and stable. The suspension, I thought felt a bit soft at the start of the ride, but copes well with all of the fastish bits and the slow corners and bumps. It soaks up the niggly bit and responds well to changes in lean and road surface - as seems to be the main theme in the bikes with electronic suspension I've ridden. I could get used to the this.

The main downside that I didn't like, as I progressed through the B roads, was that the front end dived a bit, and the ABS shudder was intrusive - you could tell it was activating. I'm 70ish kgs so it's not like I'm a fat bugger stressing suspension either. Overall though - it's fun, almost too much fun. It's too easy to ride fast without trying too hard, as the power is gradual and creeps up on you, and the suspension keeps it on track.

I head back to the dealer, and hand it back with a grin plastered on my face. I do consider it for a day or so - my only concern being tyre useage and cost. Dealers reckon about 5k out of a rear and Mich Conti setting me back at 160 for a rear and 120 for a front tyre. Bit more than I want to be paying for tyres, and I'm not usually a fan of Michellins. There's plenty of space on the bike to move around, and it should be comfortable over distance. It's up for 10.5k, but they won't take my 990 as part-ex as due to the bubbling on the fuel tank. So again - it writes it off, as I only have a couple of weeks to buy a bike that can commute and do some two up day trips. Most probably done myself a favour there though - there's still hooligan DNA in there, and I may get myself in trouble with the temptation to "make progress". I kept it in street mode, so didn't engage any of the other settings, I can imagine it would be a bit naughty, and I'd spend more time on the back wheel than a middle aged medic who should know better, should spend on vertical antics.

I'd recommend that you have a go on a 1290 Super Duke at least once - they really are a blast. I briefly consider going back to the Ducati dealer to test ride a 1200/1260 Multi, but common sense prevails - I don't need the extra speed, power and more importantly extra expense running a big bike.

Bugger - I've gotten old haven't I?
Nordboy

Re: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT review

Post by Nordboy »

I’ve always liked and fancied a SDGT. Seems like a great compromise between comfort and hooligan.
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

Interesting that you comment on the lower power but kept it in Street mode. Admittedly you get the same power in Sport but it comes in a lot harder and that is the hooligan mode.
What mode did you have the suspension in? If Sport I'm surprised it felt soft whereas Comfort really is. There's also anti-dive in Comfort and Street but not in Sport mode. The theory is that if riding sportily you want fork drive to transfer more weight on the front contact patch.

I use mine for touring, commuting and fast rideouts. It seems to adapt to whatever you want but does work best when unleashed. :thumbup:
Hawkman

Post by Hawkman »

I can't remember what mode the suspension was in - iirc the ride mode was left in street. I purposely tried not too mess with modes while on a test ride, and give a level playing field across the bikes I tested. The diving wasn't pogo style, but noticeable - again more than likely the electronics dealing with my cack handedness ;) The one similarity I found with the 990, was that you could short shift and pootle in a normal fashion, or crank it open ride the giant waves of torque. They just pull and pull, don't they?

I'd consider a GT if I didn't have to do the same distance. The other issue was the dealer support - nothing against any of the other dealers who were helpful, but the Ducati dealers went beyond sales and answered a lot of questions and followed up any outstanding questions when they had the answers, and were helpful re being upfront about expected costs and how I could save on some. No pressure on the sales front either, just a general shooting the shit type chat about bikes in general.
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

If you said you put the suspension in the middle setting to compare then it would make sense but not knowing what mode you was in somewhat compromises the test ride IMHO. On the GT the ride mode only impacts the throttle. I know on other bikes it also does the suspension but it's totally separate on these and makes a much greater difference than on other bikes. Although there's a fair amount of automatic adjustment I do manually change modes quite a lot which some might see as a failing. For me I'm happy to have the option available.

The torque is crazy. Nothing like any of my previous bikes. I'm only have IL4's before though so a big change. You can be lazy and use the grunt and go crazy and wind it on to unleash it and get slung out of bends. The engine is probably the best part of the bike.

Dealer support is the biggest concern for me. I've not had issues but I do lack confidence and don't get the comfortable well cared for feeling that you get elsewhere. So far the grins have easily made up for it though.
mboy

Post by mboy »

SDGT owner here for the last 18 months or so... Sounds to me like you had the suspension in comfort mode. You wouldn't be complaining about it being soft if it was in Sport mode for sure! Either way, there's different characters in there that you can access, and I find comfort is comfortable enough for the more mundane riding, Sport is good enough for all but the most hardened of track focussed riding too. Throttle wise, mine lives in Street... Rain mode is useful if you're riding in a deluge, I tend not to though. Sport mode on the throttle makes it REALLY sharp (it's still pretty sharp in street!), it definitely makes it more of a hooligan but perhaps almost too much if anything, and I'm used to aggressive V-Twins with snatchy fuelling.

They're 173bhp where the R is 180bhp... I've not ridden both back to back, but if you could notice the difference in 7bhp between them (especially bearing in mind there's a weight penalty too) then you probably need to swap your road license for a race one! I don't think I've ever accessed peak power (around 8800rpm) on my SDGT, the bike is staggeringly quick even short shifting around 5-6k, running to 7-8k and it'll drop pretty much anything else of a similar ilk on the road. I read about 1290 owners (in all formats) wanting more power in various facebook groups, and the lengths they go to to extract another 5-10bhp and the costs involved etc... Honestly, the engine overwhelms the experience with this bike, it really doesn't need any more power! Had it come with the older 148bhp 1190 engine, it would still be an awesome bike and more than capable, but as it is, it's absolutely bonkers when you want it to be!

The stock screen is a bit rubbish. Just shoves all the wind into your helmet, and causes lots of wind noise at motorway cruising speeds. Fortunately there are plenty of worthy alternatives that do a much better job on the market.

The brakes... Sounds like they just need adjusting to preference. The Brembo M50's can cause your eyeballs to leave their sockets and smack on the inside of your visor if you pull the lever hard enough! But by the same token, the feel and modulation available is peerless on production road bikes.

ABS judder though...? What were road conditions like? I've NEVER felt my ABS judder even slightly in use, even in the wet, loaded and 2 up. But then I don't grab handfuls of brake, I'm smooth and progressive with my braking, and find that I never need more than a single finger in all but the most extreme situations with the lever set "just so" for my preference.

Tyre wear... The dealer is having a laugh (or has never taken a bike out of rain mode) if they are quoting 5k miles for a rear tyre... I'm a smooth rider, I'm not gassing it in a straight line, my tyres don't square off... I'm getting about 2500-3000 miles out of a "Sport Touring" rear (Angel GT's so far), but surprisingly the front has died at less than 5k too! Most bikes I've had it's been a perfect 2:1 ratio, I'm about to have to bin a rear with 1k left in it cos a front has died prematurely, to change the pair. Seriously though... There's 140Nm and 173bhp on tap from a 1301cc V-Twin. These bikes are heavy on tyres!

The flip side is for the performance, they're very good on fuel... Also the servicing costs are MUCH cheaper than an equivalent Ducati.

You talk about wanting a bike that can commute, but also cope with 2 up day trips, and provide some fun and thrills too... I don't commute on mine, but would be very happy to given how practical it is and how sensible it can be when required. It's brilliant 2 up, and it can be an absolute animal when you want it to be too!

I disagree on the comment about it being too easy to ride fast without trying... The engine ALWAYS makes its presence felt, and never more so than when you shut the throttle and the engine braking kicks in. I've ridden lots of bikes that are easier to ride quickly, mostly because they are less dramatic and don't have such an enormous engine commanding respect all the time! I test rode a Duke 790 a couple of years ago... An absolute license loser I concluded, cos you get on it and pin the throttle to the stop all the time cos it feels so easy and unintimidating to ride, yet it still has over 100bhp and will shred your license in no time just with a lot less drama than a 1290 would. The 1290 SDGT commands respect at all times, it's easier to ride than say a Ducati Panigale 1299 or a 1098/1198 say, but you can't ride it like you would a 600 in-line 4... Christ, by comparison, my old CBR1100 Blackbird was a pussycat (albeit a heavy one) compared to the SDGT. You can ride the SDGT in rain mode and it makes it relatively easy for a newer rider not used to a massive V-Twin, but it's a very mechanical riding experience and it needs quite a lot of input.

Sounds to me like you're looking for excuses not to buy it if I'm honest... I can't think of anything else that does the boring and the bonkers, the sublime and the ridiculous both quite so well and so readily as the SDGT... Otherwise I'd have bought it already!
Hawkman

Post by Hawkman »

I'd happily own a 1290SD or SDGT - just not now. It was a second hand one that I rode, so maybe the front brakes were due to that - but it did put me off. I'm used to KTMs as I had may 990SD for 13 years, and only sold it as I need a more comfortable and commuter friendly bike. The 990 was still a huge load of fun, but you have to put more into riding it than the more modern bikes with TC, engine maps, ABS, IMU etc imho. I felt more connected to the bike on the 990 than I did with the Ducati, Yamaha and KTMs.

I was lucky to get 3k out of a 990 rear - same as you got a 1:2 ratio front/rear replacement. So couldn't see how a more powerful bike would be kinder to tyres either. In the end it came down to "little" things, like the screen on the Multistrada being quieter, the pillion seat being better, and the sales and service care from the dealer (again not a dig at any of the other dealers), they listened to my questions and concerns and made them their own and came up with honest answers and useful suggestions.

I've not owned a Ducati before and am looking forward to playing around with it and the various modes and settings, it comes with a 4 year warranty - so will take a view then if I want to orange again.