Favourite holiday destinations ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Favourite holiday destinations ?

Post by weeksy »

Where's the places (and pics) that have been the best holidays for you over the years and why ?

Topping my list for relaxing holidays is Lake Iseo
Image2017-08-13_03-43-33 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

It was just a lovely lovely place to visit, the food was exceptional, the people friendly, just epic. Went there a couple of years back for the wifes 40th.

Image2017-08-16_01-50-31 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Then up of course is Morzine, completely different type of trip and holiday, but over the years it's been incredible
Image2018-08-20_10-03-39 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
cheb

Re: Favourite holiday destinations ?

Post by cheb »

It's cities for me. Days of busyness, galleries, museums and cake are what I like to do on holiday.

I'm not really fussed where as long it has excellent cultural facilities. And cake.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

The two best holidays I've ever had were......

Corsica with the supermoto crew from Visordown, epic roads, decent food, great people, plenty to drink and waking up surprised not to be hungover.
So many great memories, probably the best being on the first day, we were just a few miles out the campsite, I'd reached both edges of my new front tyre and hadn't worn the bobbles off the middle !

Amsterdam with 3 mates, we smoked, laughed, eat waffles, smoked and laughed non stop for 4 days.
Again great memories here, my bald mate laughing so hard his whole head went red, another mate hugging a wardrobe are two that stand out.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Since I bought the motorhome we seem to have spent a lot of time in the Loire valley.

There's one campsite in Nantes on the outskirts of the city centre with a tramp stop just by the entrance

I liked Angers too, tapisserie de l'apocalypse was interesting :)

Drank lots of wine in Saumur, had a great night out in Blois, but the worst Indian meal ever!

Chateau Chambord, old town Tours.

That bit of Fronch is great.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

As a biker, it's hard to beat Spain. The weather, the roads are just made for bikes. Grab a ferry to Santander, Bilbao and ride through the Picos to Jerez and watch some racing at one of the finest spectator circuits there is. Then wander round the south.

But, ride to Lake Maggiore, nice hotel by the lake, nice ride to Monza and watch some racing at a poor circuit for spectators. Due to the trees you can't see a lot of the track. The scenery of the area makes up for it.

Or ride to Florence and then watch at Mugello, a track in the most beautiful location for bikes.

Or ride to Riccioni and watch at Circuit Simoncelli. A real sun and sea trip.

So, I think Italy wins for me but it is essential to do both.
Brian
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Anywhere with a chair, a decent pint, good food, a few rays of vitamin D and a pile of books.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Not been for many years, but a guy I know owns a place in the south of Spain, just inland a few miles.

Look uphill, there's Mijas. Look downhill, the coast. On a rare very clear day, I'm told you can see the Atlas mountains.

Once a week visit to the supermarket for food and drink, then sit in the shade by the pool and read. Then, once or twice during the holiday, show willing, and do a touristy visit (the Alhambra, Coin or Ronda).

Most wonderful memory was when friends came out there with us, one is an opera singer. Final evening, on the roof terrace, G&T, with her singing the 'British Airways' theme at full volume, filling the valley :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Best Family Holiday Destination - North Devon
Best Pre Children Holiday Destination - Algarve in February or maybe California
Best Tarmac Bike Holiday - the Peak District in the early 90s (it was a bit mental)
Best Dirt Bike Holiday - exploring Crete on a hired DR200, better than North Africa on my own XR600 as it was far safer and less stressful.
Honda Owner
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Safari in Kenya was particularly memorable, as was 3 weeks in Oz, but right now I'd be happy to go anywhere with open bars and no threat of quarantine on my return .... I've just had confirmation that villa holiday in south of France next month has been cancelled and money being refunded
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

I've never been one for beach holidays but maybe the odd day here and there during a couple of weeks hols. I prefer getting out and about, seeing stuff and exploring. Fortunately, my wife had the same dream holiday so we decided to do it before we had kids.

We went all in on a 5* three week trip to the Hawaiian islands. You've got everything : beaches, busy night life (in some places and absolutely not in others), mountains, volcanoes/lava flows (our big thing to see), helicopter flights over the cliffs (think Jurassic Park) to the more cultural stuff and also amazing places like Pearl Harbor :think:, the observatories, etc.

Cost a mint but no regrets. It was the big one for us. Hopefully at some point we may have something as grand again but we got to do that one and if we hadn't and for some reason couldn't then we'd both have regretted it forever.
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

Horse wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:32 am Most wonderful memory was when friends came out there with us, one is an opera singer. Final evening, on the roof terrace, G&T, with her singing the 'British Airways' theme at full volume, filling the valley :)
That's a duet innit ? Was there an echo or did she just do the wimmen multitasking bit ? :thumbup:
formula400

Post by formula400 »

honestly my fav place we have been is Cyprus, stay out of town, loads of sun and beaches and BBQ's. Loving walking and driving and exploring the island, some great restaurants loads of great food. We normal hire some buggies and rag them around, Love the place.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
millemille

Post by millemille »

For doing stuff - Las Vegas. Been twice, last time was 14 years ago. Combined going for a job interview at Dynojet with a holiday with the missus and getting married. To the missus, before anyone asks. Utterly bonkers place. I'd challenge anyone to be bored there. But you need a holiday to recover.

General sun and pool holiday - Greek Islands, probably Zante or Kos as favourites. If I ever win big on the lottery I intend on buying a decent villa on Zante and having a fleet of supermoto's and having all my mates and their families visit. Kids and other halves by the pool during the day while the others dick around on supermoto's and then all round the BBQ in the evening.

Road motorcycling holiday - the Ardeche and south of France/Northern Italy. Used to be down there regularly with the original Fast Bikes magazine crew, filming videos and the like, in the 90's. I suspect you'd not get away with half that shit now.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Treadeager wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:30 pm
Horse wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:32 am Most wonderful memory was when friends came out there with us, one is an opera singer. Final evening, on the roof terrace, G&T, with her singing the 'British Airways' theme at full volume, filling the valley :)
That's a duet innit ? Was there an echo or did she just do the wimmen multitasking bit ? :thumbup:
Yes to both. She had been rehearsing with someone else for an imminent performance, and there was a lovely quality to the sound as it drifted across the valley ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Went to the place below on and off for over 15 years. I kept a caravan down there so would either drive down or a couple of times we flew down. Normally spent around 3 weeks there. We kept bikes for the kids there and they learnt to ride them down there and learnt to swim etc.

When we first went it was mainly Spanish, german and Dutch people that used it and you'd rarely meet any other english there. It was quite basic when we first went but then they added statics and a pool and now there is less camping pitches year by year. Outstanding and safe beach with a few beach side bars and restaurants to be walked to.

I did get a bit fed up with same ol same ol, but its so safe there our kids would get up and go out and we'd only see them when the got hungry! Haven't been there for over 5 years now and we keep saying we'll all go back for one last trip, but I don't suppose we will...

http://www.laspalmeras.com/en/
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Horse wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:36 am She had been rehearsing with.......

A bit like this then........

Brian
Docca

Post by Docca »

Another fan of cities. My favourite city break has been Vienna.

Pre-kids: did 3 months in Kerala ( southern India ) and 6 months touring Thailand.

Family: Cornwall. Lots of camping. Which we love. Also France, Germany and Holland. Its too expensive to go further afield ( £12k to fly us all to Japan next year)

I love the sea but hate beach holidays. If I'm at the seaside, I'm in the sea.

Lockdown has helped us appreciate what we have local to us too. So, lots of woodland and escapes where we can just take a picnic thag wouldn't have got a look in
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

When I was stationed in Germany our favourite place was Berchtesgaden. We headed off to the Black Forest one year but it was raining when we got there and still raining the next morning. "Let's go to Berchtesgaden" says the wife. "It's the other side of the flipping country!" I answer. "Yeah come on dad let's go to Berchtesgaden!" say the boys so off we went. We usually spent a few days there and then headed into Austria and then over into Switzerland, usually to Interlaken but B'gaden was a great place to stay and usually first stop.

After we left the army we tried Tenerife but it was awful and the next year (1995) we found Turunç in a brochure and gave it a shot. We didn't go anywhere else after that first visit and then started coming twice a year. In 2004, the wife said "I'm sick and tired of keep coming back here!" I asked her where she fancied and she said "I don't want to go anywhere else and I don't want to keep coming back, lets come and live here." So we did our sums and moved here.

I'm home, sadly single now but home.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Yambo wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:11 pm When I was stationed in Germany our favourite place was Berchtesgaden. We headed off to the Black Forest one year but it was raining when we got there and still raining the next morning. "Let's go to Berchtesgaden" says the wife. "It's the other side of the flipping country!" I answer. "Yeah come on dad let's go to Berchtesgaden!" say the boys so off we went. We usually spent a few days there and then headed into Austria and then over into Switzerland, usually to Interlaken but B'gaden was a great place to stay and usually first stop.

After we left the army we tried Tenerife but it was awful and the next year (1995) we found Turunç in a brochure and gave it a shot. We didn't go anywhere else after that first visit and then started coming twice a year. In 2004, the wife said "I'm sick and tired of keep coming back here!" I asked her where she fancied and she said "I don't want to go anywhere else and I don't want to keep coming back, lets come and live here." So we did our sums and moved here.

I'm home, sadly single now but home.
I honeymooned in Turunc in 1998 and absolutely loved it. We may go back for our 25th in 2013. Just a lovely place with lovely people :thumbup: :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Every day is a holiday here. Amazing weather and scenery.
Can ride bikes 99% of the year.
Paradise.