What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Taipan »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:19 am
Taipan wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:52 am Reached my limit ! On a 3 day break with the in-laws to a mobile home in Great Yarmouth. The place is an absolute shit hole. Full of chavs and pikeys. Kerrist I live in a tough town but it’s pleasantville compared to this! My wife isn’t happy with me but I’m calling it and going home tomorrow regardless of what anyone else says! Honestly, this place is like one of those documentaries about “ benefit scum”! I was in Yarmouth today and saw a pissed up bloke puke over his kid in a pram! I’m outta here!
Funny you should say that, we had a week on a boat on the broads back in May. We did the usual, Wroxham, potter Heigham etc, and then we planned to arrive at Yarmouth on the morning, spend the day there, stop the night at Yarmouth yacht station and then on to the southern broads.

We pulled up at Yarmouth yacht station, and I suppose the barbed wire fences should have given it away, but we braved it and had a wander through the churchyard (carrying the dog so she didn’t tread on a needle) and onto the beach. The beach and seafront were ok, but then we cut back into the town and back towards the boat. Jesus! Even the dog was uncomfortable. We didn’t stay the night and legged it (at a steady 4mph) back upstream towards the northern broads.

Norfolk is a beautiful county, with loads of great villages and towns. Norwich is lovely city. Yarmouth is definitely the place to avoid there though.
Got outvoted anyway, but no way am I staying in town today. Traffic is pretty heavy round here but I’ll venture out to Cromer I think…
Skub

Post by Skub »

Left early on the bike,four seasons in one day weather.

I'm continually impressed with the wet and damp roads grip from the P5s.

No abandoned vehicles spotted yet.

Bike cleaned.

I have yesterdays BSB to catch up on,hopefully a relaxing day ahead. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Went to the memorial - always emotional. Not totally sure why, a combination of the UK no longer being in the EU (which, in my limited way of thinking, was born from the collaboration of european countries fighting together - I know, too simple) and my grandpop having served in both world wars.

Sad that so few people go to the ceremony tho :( :( So I'm glad that I do

I was wrong earlier. The flags are carried by people that are related to those who served in each resistance group. 12 flags. There is always one guy there who was in the resistance the night of the drop 10-3-44 - he's very old now but wasn't even a teenager then, 77 years ago (if my translation of the numbers was correct!)

I was a bit more brave this time and went to talk to one of the VIPs to ask if I could put one of my poppies on the container (it's one of the containers that was dropped) with the flowers that the dignitaries put on it. He was kind enough to say yes, so there is now a little British poppy of remembrance with the other flowers :)

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Just been for a Covid test :roll:

A friend that I went out with on Weds evening had a test this morning (after saying she might have a chest infection) and has tested positive :( :( Fully vaxxed as well. But working in the UCPA (sort of kids camp holiday place) so, as she and some other teachers say, in contact with a lot of filthy disgusting kids!!

Luckily mine was negative. Now need to get in contact with one of her colleagues and see if I can deliver, from a distance, some comfort food tomorrow!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Had my hair cut by Cockfosters FC 1st team latest signing :D
Apparantley he's fresh out of Crystal Palace reserves - a goalie, fervent Fenerbahçe and Arsenal supporter , and a mountain of a man, physically -he's apparently filling in doing some shifts in his (Turkish) brother's barbershop whilst he's back in Turkey on sorting out other business

I hope he's a better goalie than a barber as It's definitely not to their usual standard ( and in fact is right up there amongst the worst ever cuts if I'm honest :lol: ) but I don't really care, I don't have that much hair these days and it was very entertaining conversation-wise and a fun way to spend 30 mins or so :)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Went out, had lunch at The Ivy, came home. Nice to be back in the greenery and away from all the Typhoid Marys.

Think I'll become a hermit.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Had a lovely tour of North of the island hugging the coast road.
Did a coupe of beaches to let dog run about.
Had a coffee in lovely village square.
Met a pal for cheeky beer in Famara.

Then had tea in La Santa as one of our fave restaurants has just reopened.

Lovely day.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got back from Yarmouth at lunchtime.
Started stripping my Daughters furniture down ready for her house move. Now I've got to decorate her room for my Son to move into.
Gave up on the Wankstas that are UPS ever delivering my variator tool, so I've bought another one. Lets just hope that turns up!
Walked my Jack Russells as the lively one hasn't been walked for 3 days and is full of stir crazy, mental energy!
Now having a glass of vino...
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I haven't achieved a lot, but I'm knackered and did lots

Did a load of French homework this morning, then met some friends for coffee - they are only here for a week then back in October for the winter start up!

French lesson in the valley - collected some fresh veg for me and some friends, then home, via a drop off for their veg! Met another friend for a hot choc and went to physio

Between spending a lot of time thinking, writing and talking French today, the tinnitus having a bad day (tonight very bad) and the stress of seeing someone different about my knee/foot (the nice physio, but different issue for him) I'm seriously knackered.

One day soon the HRT will kick in and I'll get my brain and energy back. But damn it's taking it's time :( :(
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Finally finished that bloody jag today.
Had to rebuild the chassis outrigger before I could attack the sill!
First time welding with fluxed mig, christ dont they spatter! You just cant buy co2 over here unless you're a registered business. Bastids
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Taipan wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:52 am Reached my limit ! On a 3 day break with the in-laws to a mobile home in Great Yarmouth. The place is an absolute shit hole. Full of chavs and pikeys. Kerrist I live in a tough town but it’s pleasantville compared to this! My wife isn’t happy with me but I’m calling it and going home tomorrow regardless of what anyone else says! Honestly, this place is like one of those documentaries about “ benefit scum”! I was in Yarmouth today and saw a pissed up bloke puke over his kid in a pram! I’m outta here!
I agree, i live a few miles outside the town in the coastal villages and we avoid the town unless we have to. If you stick to the seafront then its a normal seaside town, go in a street or 2 and it shows just what is is. I worked there for years in my former life and it was like shooting fish in a barrel
wheelnut wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:19 am
Funny you should say that, we had a week on a boat on the broads back in May. We did the usual, Wroxham, potter Heigham etc, and then we planned to arrive at Yarmouth on the morning, spend the day there, stop the night at Yarmouth yacht station and then on to the southern broads.

We pulled up at Yarmouth yacht station, and I suppose the barbed wire fences should have given it away, but we braved it and had a wander through the churchyard (carrying the dog so she didn’t tread on a needle) and onto the beach. The beach and seafront were ok, but then we cut back into the town and back towards the boat. Jesus! Even the dog was uncomfortable. We didn’t stay the night and legged it (at a steady 4mph) back upstream towards the northern broads.

Norfolk is a beautiful county, with loads of great villages and towns. Norwich is lovely city. Yarmouth is definitely the place to avoid there though.
Should have said, i would have found you some nice spots to moor up away from the crap ;)

Sums it up really. The town itself is a shithole occupied by the "pay me to stay at home" brigade at one end of the spectrum and then add in the huge foreign worker contingent who work all hours in the local food factories but are resented by the benefit locals for just being there as Portuguese and Lithuanian are dominant languages in parts of the town.

I was in town today so went to have a look at the latest art collection added to the town...the first one is a definite Banksy and surrounded by people and i cant comment on the address its painted on as i know the occupants and if they make any money from it then its a disgrace but the council were putting up screen to protect it :shock:

The missus did laugh as even though i have been retired 2 years i was still able to spot and name about 6 scrotes in 3 or 4 minutes all on a mission to score from their latest Class A dealer as we drove through

This other one i found down a quite back street is the right style but not convinced ....maybe as it was so small and no media circus round it but i think its a copy seen elsewhere

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:20 am
I agree, i live a few miles outside the town in the coastal villages and we avoid the town unless we have to. If you stick to the seafront then its a normal seaside town, go in a street or 2 and it shows just what is is. I worked there for years in my former life and it was like shooting fish in a barrel
It is a lovely place. My mate moved up there, just inland from Sheringham somewhere and raves about it constantly on Facebook! We went there last year and was keen to visit again, hence returning. Even though its busy, I love driving along the coast road. Certainly much busier this year than last, but still enjoyable. My Wife loves Sheringham so we went there for lunch and they can certainly cook a bit of squid in The Two Lifeboats!

Most of the gobshites on our camp sites weren't from round there. Dunno if campsites attract them or something and as for Jikes, well they're a PITA where ever they go!

We'll certainly visit Norfolk again but will deffo avoid Gt Yarmouth!

Lolz!

best cartoon images for dp
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Found out that I won't lose my right to vote in UK elections next month. It seems the government has dropped the 15 year rule for ex-pats - it was mentioned in the last budget apparently, so I'm going to re-register and elect a proxy. :thumbup:

I had a proxy when I was in t'army but it was my dad and well . . . he don't vote no more. :(
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yambo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:28 pm Found out that I won't lose my right to vote in UK elections next month. It seems the government has dropped the 15 year rule for ex-pats
Oh fuckit I was almost looking forward to losing that - now I have to carry on reminding the UK natives what a mess they're making of it.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:44 pm
Yambo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:28 pm Found out that I won't lose my right to vote in UK elections next month. It seems the government has dropped the 15 year rule for ex-pats
Oh fuckit I was almost looking forward to losing that - now I have to carry on reminding the UK natives what a mess they're making of it.
:lol:

Voting or even registering to vote is not compulsory. Seems that remaining sore about previous votes, is. :wave:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I've got a vote here. I assumed I'd lose my UK vote.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yambo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:50 pm
:lol:

Voting or even registering to vote is not compulsory. Seems that remaining sore about previous votes, is. :wave:
I get the impression that you are happy with/voted for Brexit. So, since you live elsewhere and don't intend to go back, why would you even want to vote there?

Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:51 pm
I've got a vote here. I assumed I'd lose my UK vote.
Like DefTrap, I kinda hoped I'd lose my vote! (Although I've not been away long enough!!) I've felt previously that, as I had no intention of staying in the UK I shouldn't vote.

I've just signed up to be added to the voting registry here - only local and EU stuff but the big thing is that it means I should get a very cheap lift pass this winter :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Noggin wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:17 pm
Yambo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:50 pm
I get the impression that you are happy with/voted for Brexit. So, since you live elsewhere and don't intend to go back, why would you even want to vote there?

I'll repeat myself, voting is not compulsory and I may vote in the future or I may not depending on personalities, party manifestos or whatever. What I shouldn't do though is be disenfranchised because of where I currently choose to live by the very people who I may well have voted for in the past.

There's a principle involved here. I am still a UK tax payer, and if they still want my money I should be able to have my say, the same as everyone else, about who spends it. I certainly did vote for Brexit (and I voted against staying in the Common Market or whatever it was called back in 1975) and living neither in the UK or the EU had nothing to do with it. I voted to leave because I though it was the best thing for Britain. :P

I'm English/British and I have had the right to vote in UK elections and referenda since 1969. I shouldn't lose it because a governing body decided that living abroad for 15 years meant I shouldn't or wouldn't be interested. They were wrong. Getting rid of that 15 year rule is the right thing to do (maybe especially for the party that scrapped it).
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Sanded down skirtings, picture rails and a fireplace. PVA'd some walls and got the first coat of white on the walls and ceiling.More of the same tomorrow! :roll:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Taipan wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:47 pm
Bigyin wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:20 am
It is a lovely place. My mate moved up there, just inland from Sheringham somewhere and raves about it constantly on Facebook! We went there last year and was keen to visit again, hence returning. Even though its busy, I love driving along the coast road. Certainly much busier this year than last, but still enjoyable. My Wife loves Sheringham so we went there for lunch and they can certainly cook a bit of squid in The Two Lifeboats!

Most of the gobshites on our camp sites weren't from round there. Dunno if campsites attract them or something and as for Jikes, well they're a PITA where ever they go!

We'll certainly visit Norfolk again but will deffo avoid Gt Yarmouth!

Lolz!

best cartoon images for dp
I'm from Lynn/sheringham - A mate bought a house in Yarmouth after his divorce - managed 12 months and he's a tough cookie - it's always been Norwichs uglly sister - had all day drinking back in the eighties - I remember arriving their with some friends one afternoon about 3 0'clock seeing someone passed out in the immaculate flowerbed outside a hotel on the seafront (he had a suit and tie on)
I'd love to live in sheringham - long haired general not so sure .....