What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:06 pm
Potter wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:51 pm Woke at 3am, got on an aeroplane, landed, did loads of jobs, got one bike going and now I'm rebuilding a cylinder head.
On what ?
It's a big thing with wings :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:30 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:26 pm

I've just had two Long Island Iced Teas @ £13 a pop.
Not-very-happy-hour? :lol:

I remember popping into Claridges for a couple of pre-dinner drinks some years back. Cost almost as much as the dinner, and it we didn't go cheap on the nosebag, either.

Still, can't take it with ya.
I did a stag do in West London a few years back. We (groom, both dads and groomsmen) had pre drinks in a bar who's name I forget....its the one Ian Fleming used to go to and loads of the cocktails are named after Bond things.

2 rounds of drinks and one cigar each for 5 people. £505. :D

Fortunately the father of the bride was a generous sort.

EDIT: Dukes bar, that's the kiddy. I can highly recommend Mayfair as a starting point for a night out. :thumbsup:

https://www.dukeshotel.com/dukes-bar/
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:26 pm
Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:10 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:05 pm Trying to get drunk in Oxford Circus, without getting bankrupt.
Go on then. Give us a giggle.
Two pints of Peroni, £12.90.

I've just had two Long Island Iced Teas @ £13 a pop.
Ahem ;) And big measures here :)
20210810_201839.jpg
20210810_201839.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 614 times
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

If I'm in a bar and they do Long Island's, I'm having one (or more), damn the cost.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:30 pm If I'm in a bar and they do Long Island's, I'm having one (or more), damn the cost.
I've watched them make them here. All 4 spirits get the 10 second pour.

I'd need carrying home :obscene-birdiedoublered:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:23 pm

20210810_201839.jpg
That's very brave admitting you like to hang out in gay bars
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:11 pm
Yorick wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:23 pm

20210810_201839.jpg
That's very brave admitting you like to hang out in gay bars
Buy me a Long Island tea and woo hoo :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

My knee physio was cancelled so I got to meet some friends for a cuppa instead!! Such a lovely couple, it's always a good afternoon when I can pop round - sadly they live part way up a mountain on the other side of the valley, so we don't catch up often. More sadly, it's a decent drive back, so no long island tea!! LOL

Did some shopping for some friends with a chalet - they had a late booking, so needing some more supplies. Since I was in hte valley it seemed daft for them to drive down for a small amount of shopping. Bit stressful to shop for someone else!! LOL But made them happy

Caught up with a couple of friends in resort and then home for food and ice cream!!

Not got anything booked early, so will snooze as long as the delivery lorries allow in the morning!! :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Just checked on the passport.

MY EU PASSPORT IS IN THE POST!!!!

O. M. G. It really is incredible just how relieved I am. Not only is it in the post, it's arrived in France. Ok, it could still take a few days to get here but damn, it's almost arrived!!!!!

:bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Noggin wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:57 am
Bloody forriners.... :roll:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:38 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:57 am
Bloody forriners.... :roll:
My brother has started calling me Good Paddy!! (Cos my Scottish grandma was called Paddy but she was close to being evil Paddy!! LOL)

Even more so now cos I checked the post box after lunch and -

I HAVE MY IRISH PASSPORT HERE AT LAST!! :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

The relief is incredible. I knew I was stressed about getting the paperwork to stay here, but damn this is good!! :banana-wrench:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Noggin wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:57 am Just checked on the passport.

O. M. G. It really is incredible just how relieved I am. Not only is it in the post, it's arrived in France. Ok, it could still take a few days to get here but damn, it's almost arrived!!!!!
bualadh bos :clap:

https://www.duolingo.com/course/ga/en/Learn-Irish :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:55 pm
Noggin wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:57 am Just checked on the passport.

bualadh bos :clap:

https://www.duolingo.com/course/ga/en/Learn-Irish :thumbup:
:lol:

Yup, my date of birth said 7 Nol - which with my dyslexic reading got me briefly paranoid till I realised it said Nol / Dec!! LOL :lol: :lol:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Not slept properly, bloody insomnia
Walked dogs
Mowed Lawn
Put fuse back in Scottoiler after it went wrong during Saturday's biblical weather commute home. Its still poorly so I suspect it's a warranty job
Tried (and failed) not to be grumpy.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Rode to the Welsh coast, had a panini, had a spirited ride back
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got a refund from amazon on something I needed so was a bit pissed off it'd been lost in transit. Then I got notification saying its in the UK? Then an email saying UPS had "missed me" so would deliver to my local pick up shop? :think:

Today we went to see my Daughter. This involved being attacked by their 4 French Bulldog puppies. Spent about half hour playing with and watching them fight each other etc. Then I took all us out to lunch. A lovely day. :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Had a slightly stressful morning, sodding french banks making it so difficult to use a bank card even when there is money in said bank :roll: :roll: :roll:

Came back, saw a sort of social worker about what being classified as disabled actually means, she's gonna contact a proper social worker to ask them to meet me to clarify!!

Spent random moments of the day laughing because my lovely physio, on me telling him yesterday that I have an Irish passport, responded with "so, we have to call you Ginger now" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Same guy that told me the other week that I should be careful in the sun. He's previously told me that I mustn't get the scar sunburnt, so I replied that I keep it covered or put sunblock on it. No, he replied, you are too tanned on your arms and shoulders, so the Irish will reject your passport application :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Told my brother and a friend here about the Ginger comment - I think I'll be called Ginge for a few weeks :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chilling tonight as walked half a kilometre up a mountain at a 45 degree angle (apparently, so I was told) then 2.5 kms down the other side on long windy paths! A LOT faster than my friend expected and only ten mins slower (the down bit, I walked up on my own!) than he normally does the walk, so that was good!! Shoulder is fine, knee a smidge miffed!!

Swimming tomorrow then see the knee physio :shock: :shock:
David

Post by David »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:28 pm Rode to the Welsh coast, had a panini, had a spirited ride back
Which bit? There is quite a lot of it. Though even if it was near our bit, it woukdnt have helped...i was fetching a wardrobe we dont need from market drayton.
Bit of a barstard on the LE.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

David wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:06 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:28 pm Rode to the Welsh coast, had a panini, had a spirited ride back
Which bit? There is quite a lot of it. Though even if it was near our bit, it woukdnt have helped...i was fetching a wardrobe we dont need from market drayton.
Bit of a barstard on the LE.
PD's Diner Aberystwyth Promenade, they do decent grub and are right next door to a shit ton of free parking
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Last night to be exact but still within the last 24 hours. :D

Yesterday was the Glorious 12th, not so good for the Grouse but it's also the culmination of the Perseid meteor shower. A few weeks ago a friend suggested that we do an evening boat trip and do some meteor spotting. It was a good idea.

Thirteen of us climbed on Çetin's boat (the only one licensed for night trips) and headed round to Kadırga where there are no waves and the sky is dark. A couple of beers and a swim while the crew prepare dinner - fish, chicken or köfte then stretch out, drink more beer and look up while putting the world to rights. It had just got dark when a big fireball streaked across the sky to the north. Most on board saw it and thought that they were in for a real treat but Perseids are generally short fast streaks and that was the sightings for the rest of the evening.

There were a couple of people not much younger than me who had never seen a meteor before but they managed to pop their cherry so everyone was happy and it was a great evening. Some large areas of forest missing to the south. :(