MCN : New KTM RC390 moves on the A2 game in a big way

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

MCN : New KTM RC390 moves on the A2 game in a big way

Post by weeksy »

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... spy-shots/

We've known since 2020 that KTM are working on a high-tech new RC390 but now we've had our best glimpse yet of what the finished model will look like including a gorgeous MotoGP-inspired paintjob.

The current machine is no slouch but it’s lagging behind the competition and is even out-classed by KTM’s 390 Duke. Now though, the RC is going to be something really special.

Visually the bike has had a complete refresh, with the divisive headlights of old gone in favour of a large, clear mask with new LED lights behind. The fairing has been adapted with new lines although the two-part set up remains.

The tail unit is new, too, and sits on a new steel trellis subframe, which bolts onto the mainframe where the old one was welded together.

Behind the fairing lies a whole host of new electronics, which is where the big changes come. Just like the 390 Adventure, the lights are now LEDs, while the old-school dash has been replaced with a full-colour TFT.

From here riders will be able to access the electronics, which we assume will have been updated to include riding modes, traction control and cornering ABS just like the Adventure.

Not only will the TFT dash allow you to access performance and safety functions, the dash will also unlock Bluetooth connectivity functions at last.

There are more performance features lurking – including new suspension, which appears to be adjustable for the first time, proper clip-on handlebars, new wheels and a new exhaust system

It’s possible the engine has received a mild update to maintain Euro5 compatibility but given the Duke and Adventure models have both stuck at 373cc, we imagine the RC will stay the same too.

There’s nothing official from KTM at the moment, however we imagine the bike will be released in the coming months, arriving in dealerships in time for late 2021.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: MCN : New KTM RC390 moves on the A2 game in a big way

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Nice looking bike
Honda Owner
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:21 am
Visually the bike has had a complete refresh....
I don't know what the definition of a complete refresh is but visually it looks very similar to me, if you play spot the difference then it's had some changes, but a complete refresh?

Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Yup my view too from the above info and pics- looks like an MCN over-statement to me
For the past couple of years or so the RC has been behind the Duke in not getting the new TFT dash and the re-styling, this one has now plus a bit more it seems- I like the look of the new wheels and seat, and the exhaust is completely different to both the current model Duke and RC, but with the same engine etc, not sure it warrants the " big way" statement
Le_Fromage_Grande

I'm quite tempted to get one of these small sports bikes, (R3, Ninja 400 or RC390) for the road, I think it would be good fun, but I'd look like a gorilla on a moped
Honda Owner
Skub

Post by Skub »

I like the shape of most KTMs,but not the garish splatter graphics.

Understated isn't in the Austrian credo!
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:17 am I'm quite tempted to get one of these small sports bikes, (R3, Ninja 400 or RC390) for the road, I think it would be good fun, but I'd look like a gorilla on a moped
Yeah yeah, you're always saying stuff like that though and I'll eat my pants if you ever buy a " modern" ( which I guess roughly means post turn of the century, with all that new-fangled fuel injection, ABS and the like :D ) bike ;)

Seriously I think you should though- from what you post that you like about bikes , I reckon you'd enjoy one, well the riding f it anyway if not the overall owning experience, as you wouldn't need to fettle anything- you can buy my (2016 so old-ish) RC390 if you like :thumbup:
Le_Fromage_Grande

I need to try one, it's one of those should I, shouldn't I things, I really need to test ride one, I'll either love it or hate it.
What's a realistic cruising speed for one, and what's a realistic top speed with a 14 stone 54 year old on board.
How much is yours worth?
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

95mph is ok.... they're not the quickest thing in the world but not slow.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

weeksy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:29 pm 95mph is ok.... they're not the quickest thing in the world but not slow.
I bet that’s with a 10st 28 inch waisted teenager on board……………
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

That is blooming gorgeous :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:21 pm I need to try one, it's one of those should I, shouldn't I things, I really need to test ride one, I'll either love it or hate it.
What's a realistic cruising speed for one, and what's a realistic top speed with a 14 stone 54 year old on board.
How much is yours worth?
With all the experience you have on two wheels you should know if you'll like it or not, I know for a fact I wouldn't because the race rep riding position for anything more than the length of a club race kills me. The Duke is a good bike, my lads is a great little thing, the only downside is that compared to a two stroke of similar size and weight the KTM 4T feels like a sewing machine, but if I'd never ridden a 2T then I'd love it.

Like Tricky says, I'll be a monkeys uncle if you part with your brass for anything other than another cheap old shonker :lol:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Yeah, you're probably right, would you say the Duke is as quick as a 250LC?

TBH what I should do is get my arse in gear with my YPVS, as that's the performance I want.
Honda Owner
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:21 pm I need to try one, it's one of those should I, shouldn't I things, I really need to test ride one, I'll either love it or hate it.
How much is yours worth?
Top speed 100-110 on the speedo with me (13st 59YO) on board, maybe a bit more on a longer straight or road and different gearing .
Get's to 90-95 really quick (relatively speaking :D )- any more takes a little bit longer, but would comfortably cruise at 80 or so on the road- vid of it in action here in case you didn't see the thread already- viewtopic.php?p=73113#p73113 - it was hitting 90-95 on Lydden straight, which isn't that long really , and I reckon I' should crack 100 easy on it at Pembrey :lol:

As for how much it's worth, I guess the answer to that is it's worth how much someone's willing to pay for it- If I were advertising it on forums now, I'd be asking for approx £2.5k as is with all the extra bits and spares etc, less if I put it all back to standard

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:34 pm Yeah, you're probably right, would you say the Duke is as quick as a 250LC?

TBH what I should do is get my arse in gear with my YPVS, as that's the performance I want.
Yup, not as quick as a well-sorted 350 or probably TZR either, IMO but defo as quick or quicker than a 4L1 speed wise and massively better tyre choice, and brakes/handling , and the riding position on it is surprisingly non-race-rep really- I've got higher rearsets on mine but the bars are above the top yoke, stanadard its sort of old-style CBR600F riding position really IMO
Le_Fromage_Grande

That sounds really good, performance sounds more standard 350LC than standard 250LC, and better than what I've read R3s will do.
I thought the riding position looked more TZR250 than TZ250.

I'm friendly with the local KTM dealers so I'll arrange a test ride.
Annoyingly a friend sold an RC390 cup bike a few weeks ago that's only been used as a press demonstrator.

My mate keeps talking about getting an RC390 so if I bought one he'd probably get one as well.I

And £2.5K is throw away bike money, doesn't matter if it only lasts a year or two.
Honda Owner
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Exactly my thoughts really, mines been a fun little project so far, and isn't really a lot of £££ to lose
Potter

Post by Potter »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:34 pm Yeah, you're probably right, would you say the Duke is as quick as a 250LC?

I think in real terms a KTM390 is going to be as quick as a 350LC, perhaps a YPVS would have a slight edge but its hard to judge because both RDs would feel faster, the KTM has very linear power, I had it bouncing off the limiter a few times by accident. It feels like a sewing machine but before you know it you're at 100kph without trying and my lad cruises with me at 120/130kph no problem - it's certainly got enough power for UK roads so I wouldn't worry about that.

I reckon it will also out handle any stock RD, the KTM is built to a budget but then so was the RD.

If you were buying one for hooning around then IMHO it wouldn't be as much fun as your valve, but it wouldn't make any difference on lap times to the chip shop and back.

They're about £4,500? Get your finger out and spend that on your valve and you'll have a more fun bike, IMO.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:17 am I'm quite tempted to get one of these small sports bikes, (R3, Ninja 400 or RC390) for the road, I think it would be good fun, but I'd look like a gorilla on a moped

A mate of mine’s son has got a 390 and he likes it. It’s a nice little bike and goes well.

Unfortunate he’s a big lad and just swamps it.

He’s trading it in for an SV 650 with a restriction kit on it. That way after he’s got his full license he can use it for a while unrestricted.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I looked at RC390s on ebay and there's a brand new 2017 one on there for £3500, then I was looking at something else on the LC forum and there was a picture of a YPVS on there https://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/ ... 385?page=4 (half way down) and I knew Iccy was right, what I want is a YPVS and that's what I should get on with, still the best looking bike ever made

Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:55 pm still the best looking bike ever made

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc, but that statement can only come from nostalgia.