KTM 890R- The Super Scalpel!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Skub

Re: KTM 890R- The Super Scalpel!

Post by Skub »

Ah.
I read this post after my earlier comment in the XSR fred.

The Yam's still a keeper then.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Would you of been happier with the engine if proper revs allowed. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:36 pm Would you of been happier with the engine if proper revs allowed. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'll find out at Pembrey, but I'd be inclined to say, not really.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's slow or lacks power, but I just prefer the feel of the XSR in terms of power and delivery
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

I've been ringing around trying to get the first service done before Pembrey, which has given me a bit of an insight into how well the dealers are doing at the moment- Premier, my No1 choice, and also most local KTM dealers are booked solid right out into September, as is Blade, the Swindon KTM dealer, I told them both I was going away on it on THursday 19th but were still rammed, but thankfully Blade have called back and managed to squash me in for the day before Pembrey (for a not particularly bargainous £230 ) , so it'll likely have a good few more than 600 miles on it by then but at least it will be done before the track day.

I also looked through the wallet and books etc for it last night, another thing that's changed since last time is the size of the toolkit- the one in the last 890 and the 790 before it consisted of just a couple of Allen keys, but look at this little lot- even some proper sockets (and of course, the all-important RAC cover :D ;) )

Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

230 notes for a first service! My 690 was labour only, about 80 quid I think.
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

Not long back from spending 24 hours or so with @Tricky 's new steed......

Initial thoughts, after 50 miles or so, - didn't like it, seat too hard, uninspiring motor, handling a bit fidgety, QS/Blipper very agricultural compared to the last bike I rode with one , the Triumph 765RS. Nah, move on, Kev, nothing to see here.....

But, all this should be put into context by telling you what I had been riding for the previous 50 miles - my Z1000SX - motorcycling white goods, if there is such a thing. It does everything pretty well and goes about its business in an efficient, unassuming way albeit without any great personality or special features.

Fast forward to this afternoon when I handed back the keys, with more than 260 miles on the speedo than when I had collected the little KTM.

Totally changed my opinion of it....it's fun, agile, responsive, handles well, terrific brakes, even using only 7k rpm will take you into licence losing territory - 6th gear is good for 17mph per 1k rpm - and reminded me so much of the V2 Tuono, but better, lighter, more responsive......it's a hooligan's dream bike, if that's what you want it to be, or it's just as happy pootling through Berkshire villages at 30/40mph admiring the scenery.

It's a twin though, so is not as silky smooth as the XSR motor or as benign as the Zed - it's better off when you're using the gearbox. It doesn't give you the ability to pootle along in 6th at 30mph as the Zed would, if that's your bag. This lack of smoothness manifests itself in mirrors which, when pressing on, are so blurry as to be pretty much useless. Also I would add a small screen to assist in the pressing on - my 61yo neck muscles can feel the work out they have had...again I' used to the comfort that the Zed screen affords me.

Yep, the seat is still a bit on the firm side - I got a bit fidgety after 150 miles non stop but it was time for a drinks n petrol stop, so no biggy. Not too much worse than my Zed. And when you do stop for fuel, you will find that you've probably been averaging north of 60mpg, even when making good progress.

In short I like it, a lot, and would consider buying one but I'm not sure I'd have one as my only bike or indeed in preference to a 765RS or a 1050RS, both of which I would like to ride on the road sometime.

Do I prefer it to the XSR - unequivocal yes - the Zed, probably not because the Zed suits my needs more as an everyday bike and I can always borrow @Tricky 's again :o)

Kev
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Tricky wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:29 am I've been ringing around trying to get the first service done before Pembrey, which has given me a bit of an insight into how well the dealers are doing at the moment- Premier, my No1 choice, and also most local KTM dealers are booked solid right out into September, as is Blade, the Swindon KTM dealer, I told them both I was going away on it on THursday 19th but were still rammed, but thankfully Blade have called back and managed to squash me in for the day before Pembrey (for a not particularly bargainous £230 ) , so it'll likely have a good few more than 600 miles on it by then but at least it will be done before the track day.

I also looked through the wallet and books etc for it last night, another thing that's changed since last time is the size of the toolkit- the one in the last 890 and the 790 before it consisted of just a couple of Allen keys, but look at this little lot- even some proper sockets (and of course, the all-important RAC cover :D ;) )

Could you just do oil / filter yourself before Pembrey and then get it to the dealer after sometime. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

2xtwins wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:12 pm Not long back from spending 24 hours or so with @Tricky 's new steed......

Kev
Excellent review Kev :thumbup:
Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:48 pm
Could you just do oil / filter yourself before Pembrey and then get it to the dealer after sometime. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yep I could ( and that's what I would have done if I couldn't get it done anywhere before Pembrey), but I don't have to as it's booked in for the day before now
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:45 pm 230 notes for a first service! My 690 was labour only, about 80 quid I think.
Yeah they are bandits- from memory, the first service on 790 was approx £120 and the 390 Duke £180ish (that did include valve clearances though)

They did offer a 2-year servicing deal that includes the first service and the next two for £450 which is dead keen cost-wise IMO, but I have been very underwhelmed with them customer service-wise through the buying experience, so I passed on that and It'll be going to Premier after the first service is out of the way
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Interesting... i thought their servicing/customer service was pretty good (if a little expensive). Their aftersales was 99% excellent. I'd certainly use them again.... I almost did for the CB1000R but their P/X price was rubbish on the XSr that day.

They're a bit shy on replying to emails at times though i admit.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

weeksy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:14 am Interesting... i thought their servicing/customer service was pretty good (if a little expensive). Their aftersales was 99% excellent. I'd certainly use them again.... I almost did for the CB1000R but their P/X price was rubbish on the XSr that day.

Could be just the individual sales guy I dealt with, as the (female) person I spoke with yesterday RE the servicing was responsive and helpful, but when buying the bike, initial contact was good, but very tardy after that - on each occasion when he said he'd contact me / update me, he never did, I had to chase multiple times and the main number rang and rang as did his mobile, with no vm.
And pick-up day was , shall we say, interesting- one for discussion over a beer at the Premier Inn perhaps ;)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tricky wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:55 am
weeksy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:14 am Interesting... i thought their servicing/customer service was pretty good (if a little expensive). Their aftersales was 99% excellent. I'd certainly use them again.... I almost did for the CB1000R but their P/X price was rubbish on the XSr that day.

Could be just the individual sales guy I dealt with, as the (female) person I spoke with yesterday RE the servicing was responsive and helpful, but when buying the bike, initial contact was good, but very tardy after that - on each occasion when he said he'd contact me / update me, he never did, I had to chase multiple times and the main number rang and rang as did his mobile, with no vm.
And pick-up day was , shall we say, interesting- one for discussion over a beer at the Premier Inn perhaps ;)
Look forward to it :D
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Haven't managed to get out on the 890 as much as I would have liked the last week or so, but we've now got ~600 miles on the clock, all is well and I'm loving it.
Still think the seat is a bit hard but isn't a biggie for me, it's one of those bikes that puts a smile on your face every time you ride it, it's just fun.
What did surprise me was that Isabella, my OH asked for a go on the back- I didn't think that she would be interested as she thinks it looks naff and hated Kev's 1000SX on the back after the space/comfort and security (with the topbox) of the Multistrada.
But she actually enjoyed it, and I must admit I was surprised how little it affected the feel of the bike- I didn't touch the suspension settings and thought that it would likely be horrid with two onboard but it really wasn't too bad at all- still retained its light flickable feel
Anyway she's tried it now and I don't think there will be any more need for pillion duties for it whilst the Multi is around so the hangers are coming off for Pembrey and will stay off

It is in for it's 1st service on Wednesday and 100% It's bog-standard as it came from the dealer at the moment. When it comes out I'll take the hangers off and probably put one or two of my old 790 bits and bobs on it before Pembrey if I have time, one thing I have done is spray the rear seat cowl I had for my 790 white, as I thought it should improve the symmetry of its styling, now I've done it I'm not so sure, and actually think it looks best with the rear seat itself fitted, but maybe that will change when I remove the footrest hangers , maybe the grab rail and pretty sure it would if I put a tail-tidy on it, albeit I'm in two minds about that still currently.
Anyway, the good thing is I have all three seat options here - so RTTL style gurus (an oxymoron if ever there was one :lol: ) what do you reckon?

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Pillion seat for me.... white in 2nd place (maybe an 890R decal instead of the orange highlight)

I found your seat really hard/firm too.
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

I prefer the black cowl, then the white cowl and then the seat.
Pgm

Post by Pgm »

White seat cowel for me will look loads better when grab rail is gone and tail tidy fitted.
My son in law had his 890r delivered Saturday well jel but I’ll keep my 790 a bit longer I think.
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:51 am Pillion seat for me.... white in 2nd place (maybe an 890R decal instead of the orange highlight)

I found your seat really hard/firm too.
I agree, I'd go with the pillion seat too.

Seat is a bit firm, as I said in my review, and that was before it had that fecking great lump of wood on it..... ;)

Looking forward to riding it at Pembrey - see how it compares to the 765RS.

Kev
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Pgm wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:53 pm White seat cowel for me will look loads better when grab rail is gone and tail tidy fitted.
My son in law had his 890r delivered Saturday well jel but I’ll keep my 790 a bit longer I think.
Cheers- before I bite the bullet and splash out on any PP seat, I want to try a 790 one on i and just check that time hasn't changed my memory as am sure it's a bit lower and more comfy too- I had plenty of 8hr days on my old 790 and it wasn't as hard as the 890 one

If there's a 790 at Pembrey I'll introduce myself to the owner and see if he'll do swapsies for a few minutes
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Definitely white, balances up the colours. As @Pgm says, ditch grab rail, fit tail tidy and don't forget the brake gaurd. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

White pillion cover for me and once the back end furniture of hangers and grab rail are gone it will look sleeker.

I do think KTM should work on the seats as its the one thing i hear most complaints about across the range. The answer is always there is an upgraded seat available to buy so why dont KTM make the standard seats a bit better so all the customers dont have to buy another seat just to be comfortable ...... oh yeah , kerchiiing ;)