How many different bikes have you ridden in a day

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bigyin

How many different bikes have you ridden in a day

Post by Bigyin »

Just a thought while training today as i have to adapt and change bikes all the time and get used to different clutches and riding positions. Prior to that would have been possibly 2 , maybe 3 if i was trying out mates bikes on a rideout but looking back on today i was up to 10 different bikes

Todays list

Yamaha Fazer 600 (my own work bike)
Honda SH50 twist and go (16 year old auto CBT for demo purposes)
Yamaha YBR125 (geared CBT for demo)
Yamaha YBR125 Custom (as above)
Suzuki GN125 (As above)
Suzuki GS500 (A2 bike as part of transition from 125 to larger bikes)
Suzuki Bandit 600 (A license bike for demo purposes)
Honda Hornet 600 (A license bike for demo purposes)
Honda Deauville (bosses bike to nip to shops for supplies)
Ducati Multistrada 1200 (my own bike for evening ride)

I know having a work fleet of bikes to jump between all the time for different training needs is unusual but i know many of you swap bikes a lot
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: How many different bikes have you ridden in a day

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I don't know, but I'd guess at 4.
It used to be fairly normal for me to ride a dirt bike in the morning and a sports bike in the afternoon, I never consciously thought about changing between the two.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

NOt as many as that... i'd guess 3-4 and likely on a racetrack not on the road. I'm not generally big on riding other bikes nowdays though as i struggle to get on with new bikes... That said, the last 3 have been the 890, 790, CB1000R and i liked 2 out of the 3.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

There's 5 in the garage, but I've never even thought about riding them all in the same day.
Horse

Post by Horse »

While based at the dealer, we would help with test days. Sometimes a whole day rideout, others demo days based off-site, a few times at a test track. So, including mine getting to and from the shop, perhaps half a dozen - but some might have been short distances. Worse still, all BMWs ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

I think it's a paltry three. Swapping between Sprint, Thundercat and ZX6R with my sons.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:41 pm Just a thought while training today as i have to adapt and change bikes all the time and get used to different clutches and riding positions. Prior to that would have been possibly 2 , maybe 3 if i was trying out mates bikes on a rideout but looking back on today i was up to 10 different bikes

Todays list

Yamaha Fazer 600 (my own work bike)
Honda SH50 twist and go (16 year old auto CBT for demo purposes)
Yamaha YBR125 (geared CBT for demo)
Yamaha YBR125 Custom (as above)
Suzuki GN125 (As above)
Suzuki GS500 (A2 bike as part of transition from 125 to larger bikes)
Suzuki Bandit 600 (A license bike for demo purposes)
Honda Hornet 600 (A license bike for demo purposes)
Honda Deauville (bosses bike to nip to shops for supplies)
Ducati Multistrada 1200 (my own bike for evening ride)

I know having a work fleet of bikes to jump between all the time for different training needs is unusual but i know many of you swap bikes a lot
All fairly modern, so everything is in the same places....

Back when I was living at home and messing about with the classic bikes with Dad, it'd frequently be: "pull a bike out, run it for 5-10 minutes, then let it cool down before cleaning it for a run the next day". So:

start with the Matchless : 350cc single, choke lever but auto-advance/retard, gears on the right foot, 1 up 3 down, easy to kick

then the Bantam,: 2-stroke, choke on carb, particular kick pattern, gears on the right foot, 1 down 2 up (iirc), easy to kick, but unreliable due to sand in the tank from when it was repainted;

Then the Comet: 500c single, bastard to kick, heavy steering at low speed, both choke and advance/retard (can never remember which is which, so just play with them until it runs ok), DO NOT TICKLY THE CARB (it'll flood), if it doesn't start after 3 or 4 kicks, swear and go find a plug spanner, gears on right foot, 1 down 3 up (iirc) (also, do NOT let it stall when it's hot... the mag windings tend to part in the heat and it won't make a spark until it's cool again!)

Jump on 'my' bike to go get something: Ducati TL600, 600c twin, gears on LEFT foot, 1 down, 4 up, electric start.

Get back and try to fire up the HRD: 500cc single, choke and advance/retard levers both of which rotate in opposite directions to the Comet's (or one is the same, the other isn't), gears on left again, errr

Have a go on Rev Fred's RGV250, or 3rd brother's LC (both modern, so easy)

I could never remember which way the choke and advance/retard levers worked on the old bikes, especially as they never seemed to be the same from bike to bike.
At least these days all the controls are pretty much standardised!!
non quod, sed quomodo
Skub

Post by Skub »

An open day at a bike dealer gave me a run on...

KTM Superduke 990

KTM Supermoto 990

KTM Adventure 990

Aprilia Tuono

MV Augusta Brutale

Moto Guzzi I think it was a Griso,or something.

My own bike GSXR1000

All very unusual for me. I'm a one bike man 99% of the time.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

Used to mechanic for the police ,

so BMW R800
BMWR800
BMWR800
BMWR800
BMWR800
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Probably half-a-dozen. At the training school we used to 'garage' a dealer's demo bikes (he didn't want them cluttering up his limited showroom space) so we used to use them to give riders who'd passed their DAS course a taste of some different style machines. So I took all four for a spin one quiet day when the boss was off, and as I would have ridden my own bike to and from the school, where I kept my own training bike locked up, that's six. Maybe throw in a CG or a GS500 too, for a demo to a training.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I think about 6 or 7.

One day at Donington, BMW brought a load of bikes for us to have a play on.

We did test them all quite enthusiastically ;)
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Now and again (very occasionally)I'd go from the CBR to the Bandit -the Bandit felt like a chopper .
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

For an article I was working on, took a Gixxer 600, 750 and a thou around the ‘Ring (Nordschleife), for fun we also had a DRZ400 which I used to take around the outside of the track for photo opportunities.

We all agreed the 600 was too slow, the 1000 too fast (for Nurburgring “newbies”) and the 750 just about perfect and the most sensible choice. 👍 Naturally, we would all really go for the ‘thou anyway because bigger is better.

The 400 Supermoto on knobblies was easily the most fun (600 was boring, 750 hard work and the 1000 was simply terrifying because it would spin up pretty much everywhere and you always had to be so sensitive on the throttle).

Amazing how early (and slowly!) people were braking and wobbling their way around, though the “track” is open to all and is just a nice bit of road that goes in a big circle. You could throw the DRZ400 into a corner flat out WOT under all sorts of exotic machine before they blow you into the weeds again in a straight line.

Most bikes in one day check, best fun ever, check…
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

About 6/7 when they used to those bike safe days and the manufacturers all turned up. Best day was riding a Harley big twin, Ducati s4r or something, KTM 950 (I think) and a couple of Jap bikes
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

Think 17 for a TWO test and 14-15 for a Superbike article.