Coolant, are they all the same?

Anything you like about motorbikes
YoKaiser

Coolant, are they all the same?

Post by YoKaiser »

First ride of the year saw my radiator developing a hole l, anyway I've removed it and hopefully it's getting repaired. I'll obviously be filling with new coolant. Are there any particular products that are better than others? Bike is a street triple which does seem to run a little hot.
KungFooBob

Re: Coolant, are they all the same?

Post by KungFooBob »

There main types.

OAT
Glycol
Water

You don't want water because it freezes in the winter, expands and destroys stuff.

You shouldn't mix OAT and Glycol.

So... read your owners manual or speak to the stealership and ask which type you should use.

From an 'is one brand better than the next?' point of view.

No idea.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Use whatever your manufacturer recommends, they aren't all the same, and some are better quality than others.
Honda Owner
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

I had issues with my Daytona 955i, really picky on coolant level and didn't take much persuasion to disgorge the header tank contents all over the floor. Changed the coolant to Evans (using the correct flushing fluid) and that was the end of the problem.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I use propylene glycol, engine runs 20deg cooler than with the ethylene variety. We also use it in RR Merlins. Sta-Clean brand intended for marine & big rig use.
Druid

Post by Druid »

Hairybiker84 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:39 pm I had issues with my Daytona 955i, really picky on coolant level and didn't take much persuasion to disgorge the header tank contents all over the floor. Changed the coolant to Evans (using the correct flushing fluid) and that was the end of the problem.
My Speed Triples have been very fussy about coolant levels, anything above the minimum and it would spit coolant out. Must be a Triumph thing
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

You've just reminded me that at least two of my vehicles need a coolant change, so thanks!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Druid wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:04 am
Hairybiker84 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:39 pm I had issues with my Daytona 955i, really picky on coolant level and didn't take much persuasion to disgorge the header tank contents all over the floor. Changed the coolant to Evans (using the correct flushing fluid) and that was the end of the problem.
My Speed Triples have been very fussy about coolant levels, anything above the minimum and it would spit coolant out. Must be a Triumph thing
Mine too. It's got the second tank under the seat, it's never happy unless that tank is empty!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:31 am
Druid wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:04 am
Mine too. It's got the second tank under the seat, it's never happy unless that tank is empty!
Try removing the pressure cap and cleaning both the rubber seals and seats. There's usually some black flakes of paint or powder coat stuck to them, which leads to leaks under pressure (i.e. when hot).