A right now thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: A right now thread

Post by Yorick »

Currently sat on the ferry to Fuertaventura with the missus.
Only 30 mins then some of the best roads I've ever seen.

Pleasant 27c forecast for the day's riding :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm in Dublin nursing a headache from the Guinness, it's almost as bad as Newcastle Brown Ale for a next day headache.
I normally try to be healthy and a week of fried breakfasts and evenings on the Guinness is playing havoc :lol:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Just done my good deed for the day and, since it's Monday morning, possibly the week.

Have a skip out the front, which had an bicycle in it.

Knock at the door, "Is it ok if I have the bike?"

Filly said, yes, and thank you for asking - but it doesn't have a saddle.

She described him as being a bit twitchy, he said he was on the way to the pharmacy, would collect it on the way back.

By then, I'd found a spare seat in the shed and put that on, pumped up the tyres and oiled the chain.

He was very happy :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Horse

Post by Horse »

There were two bikes, the other was taken. A neighbour put a kids bike on - that went too.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:18 am I'm in Dublin nursing a headache from the Guinness, it's almost as bad as Newcastle Brown Ale for a next day headache.
I normally try to be healthy and a week of fried breakfasts and evenings on the Guinness is playing havoc :lol:
You could have brought a bit of sunshine with you, its pissing down in the midlands.
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:07 pm
Potter wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:18 am I'm in Dublin nursing a headache from the Guinness, it's almost as bad as Newcastle Brown Ale for a next day headache.
You could have brought a bit of sunshine with you, its pissing down in the midlands.
It's perfect.
I've been sitting in the garden in shorts really enjoying freezing my tits off after leaving the heat and humidity behind.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yorick wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:00 am Currently sat on the ferry to Fuertaventura with the missus.

Relatively cheap day. 75% discount on ferry prices. Only a tank of fuel so far.

But dropped my phone 10 mins ago, getting on to board this ferry.

Smashed screen :(
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

It's getting dark, wifey is watching love Island I'm sitting in the garden with a glass of wine, poking sticks into the chiminea and watching bats fly around. 🙂
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:45 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:00 am Currently sat on the ferry to Fuertaventura with the missus.

Time for an iPhone 12 max pro :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:18 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:45 pm

Time for an iPhone 12 max pro :thumbup:
That brings out the Yorkshire war cry.

Hooooow much ? :(
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

We still have fires on the hill to the south not threatening to Turunç but there's a small community beyond the hill called Amos which will be threatened.

One of the forestry fire fighting helicopters

As I've said, Turunç has been lucky and although there's some big burns in the hills above the village it's not as bad as the other side of the hill to Içmeler. Wheelnut knows Içmeler well and may well have seen this before and after clip (facebook, sorry) but some of you might be interested.

Horse

Post by Horse »

Hells teeth, that was close! :shock: :o Glad you're ok.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

It's quiet; the sun is not a weird colour; there is no wind. Only small wisps of smoke are visible where fire raged last night and ground crews are damping down where they can.

The fire travelled down the back of the hill to the south and the fire fighters were unable to stop it getting to the top houses in Amos. This photo was taken last night by a Turkish person. Amos is behind the burning hill, the next bay round the coast.

People there had already been evacuated, including the professor I mentioned a few days ago (his wife had died). He came round to our bay in his boat and I saw him this morning. I don't know if his house was hit but he looked desperately sad and lonely. He is also ill and I suspect not too long for this world.

The crews worked all night and by sunrise this morning the fire threatening Amos was under control but the fires this side of the hill were still going strong. People in it's path had also been evacuated, a couple joining us on the beach. At 6:25 the first helicopter arrived and started dumping on this fire and a second arrived a bit later. Then a chinook arrived with a bit bigger bucket on a longer strop. The effort was successful it seems and the flames reduced. A few hours later and it all seemed to be under control.

I lied. As I was typing a helicopter has returned to do a bit of damping down - there are no big hot spots. The sound of the aircraft is comforting at the moment but I think it will be different in the future as it'll mean there are probably more fires around.

It's not all over yet, the fat lady's not even on the stage. The weather is still very hot, everywhere is still very dry but of course, there's less stuff around to burn. I think we can start to relax when the fire and forestry crews from other parts of Turkey leave us. Right now though, the peace is wonderful. We've been very lucky in this village. Geography, wind and sheer hard, brutal work has prevented fire getting into the village. Others have not been so lucky. There are still big fires near Milas and Köceğiz. Hisaronu was hit very hard and still has fires burning. The locals have plans for the future, new equipment, PPE, training in case this becomes an annual event and we can't rely on the government for help.

I think Recep's flying visit to Marmaris, his entourage blocking roads and his handing out tea will spectacularly backfire on him. I hope so.

I noticed earlier that there's no ash floating in the pool. I'm off now to replace it. :thumbup:

*Edit - photo added.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

That is both a stunning and yet devastating photo

Glad you are still ok. Hope the professor is being looked after and has a home to go back to soon x
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Greece and Italy also have bad fires now!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Thankfully fires is one thing we don't need to worry about here.

Even houses don't burn down.
I've only ever seen a fire engine once and that was in a parade to applaud the nurses and doctors.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Yorick wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:08 pm Thankfully fires is one thing we don't need to worry about here.

I've only ever seen a fire engine once and that was in a parade to applaud the nurses and doctors.
It's difficult to burn volcanic ash.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Yambo wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:49 pm
The fire travelled down the back of the hill to the south and the fire fighters were unable to stop it getting to the top houses in Amos. This photo was taken last night by a Turkish person. Amos is behind the burning hill, the next bay round the coast.
Yesterday I heard reports that Amos is 'gone'. Not sure what that means but I got the impression that it had reached and was consuming the houses in the bay. Pic from Amos yesterday.
amos.jpg
amos.jpg (19.98 KiB) Viewed 639 times

Staying on red hasn't helped the mood either. :(
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

wheelnut wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:24 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:08 pm Thankfully fires is one thing we don't need to worry about here.

It's difficult to burn volcanic ash.
It's also difficult to burn soil.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

wheelnut wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:31 pm
Yambo wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:49 pm
Yesterday I heard reports that Amos is 'gone'. Not sure what that means but I got the impression that it had reached and was consuming the houses in the bay. Pic from Amos yesterday.

amos.jpg

Staying on red hasn't helped the mood either. :(

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: