What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:04 am
At least one of the insurance companies over here offers a device that plugs into the OBD port to track your driving *style*. The advertise it as a way to get cheaper rates based on your driving. Almost everyone ends up paying more when they add up how many times you broke the speed limit.
They offer those here too.

Here's a thought for you...would you insure someone against accidents that happen as a result of illegal activity? No me neither.

You'd have to be a reet muppet to get a black box fitted then complain when insurers penalise you for breaking the law regularly :lol:

I don't have one by the way. But it may surprise you to know most modern cars can and do record things like peak speed reached, engine revs etc. Its not specific to a place/time but they do record it.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:08 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:04 am
At least one of the insurance companies over here offers a device that plugs into the OBD port to track your driving *style*. The advertise it as a way to get cheaper rates based on your driving. Almost everyone ends up paying more when they add up how many times you broke the speed limit.
They offer those here too.

Here's a thought for you...would you insure someone against accidents that happen as a result of illegal activity? No me neither.

You'd have to be a reet muppet to get a black box fitted then complain when insurers penalise you for breaking the law regularly :lol:

I don't have one by the way. But it may surprise you to know most modern cars can and do record things like peak speed reached, engine revs etc. Its not specific to a place/time but they do record it.
Daughter has one fitted, has done for 2 or 3 years now.
It was the only way to get insurance without applying for a mortgage.

As you say, you've got to be real soft in the head to go speeding with one fitted, what kind of F'in idiot fits one and them complains when the insurance company actual looks at the data you freely gave them access to and decides you're a higher risk.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I got a quote from one of the black box insurance companies a few years ago, they said if I drove like a good boy I could get a maximum discount of £15 for the year!

ISTR they penalise people for slowing down for speed bumps, too many changes in speed in a straight line.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:08 pmBut it may surprise you to know most modern cars can and do record things like peak speed reached, engine revs etc. Its not specific to a place/time but they do record it.
Bikes, too. Spin mentioned a crash where police asked kawasaki to check speed at impact or similar.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:18 pm

Gonna be windy in the French Alps tonight
:lol: :lol: Well, I still couldn't eat much, so emptied and repacked the freezer so most of the veg and the stuff I've made with it are in the freezer - calm night then!! :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mussels wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:43 pm I got a quote from one of the black box insurance companies a few years ago, they said if I drove like a good boy I could get a maximum discount of £15 for the year!

ISTR they penalise people for slowing down for speed bumps, too many changes in speed in a straight line.
IIRC the difference for box or not was several hundred pounds last year, and closer to a grand in her first year, but that's new drivers for ya.
They ain't that clever either, she's constantly having to have words about it with them, they just ain't good / accurate enough to distinguish between 2 roads that run parallel, which is a pain when one is a 30mph residential and the other a NSL.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Went to work. It rained a little, but often!! Dealt with a crash early on, about 0700, had 3 lanes shut for a while which slowed everyone down.
Lot of bikes out early doors though. While I was sweeping bits of Mitsubishi a bloke on an adventure bike shouted to me, “how the duck do they manage it on an empty motorway” referring to the very damaged car!! I larfed!! Hope you had a good day out mate, and all the others I saw passing. Made me go home and head out for a bit on the bike.
Mick
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I was certain I'd posted these the other day but can't see them (maybe I didn't press sumbit?!!)

Anyway - I saw this superb amazing gorgeous, just stunning vehicle parked near my place the other day. As I was drooling near it (luckily, not on it!) a friend walked up and got in!! LOL Jammy git!! LOL

It is really rather fabulous -

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Started fencing the duck enclosure in preparation for the duckling that will hatch soon.

Closed off the old compost heap and started a new on.

Levelled some top soil infill.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:29 pm As you say, you've got to be real soft in the head to go speeding with one fitted, what kind of F'in idiot fits one and them complains when the insurance company actual looks at the data you freely gave them access to and decides you're a higher risk.
*Americans*... perhaps you've heard of them? and, I suspect, you can add KFB to the group of whiners when he finds out he splashed out £xxxx for a Merc & now has to drive it like a little old lady.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Costco, Home Despot & Wally World. Bought all sorts of stuff & owing to blowing $140 at Costco I managed to get out of Wally World for $33 :)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:18 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:29 pm As you say, you've got to be real soft in the head to go speeding with one fitted, what kind of F'in idiot fits one and them complains when the insurance company actual looks at the data you freely gave them access to and decides you're a higher risk.
*Americans*... perhaps you've heard of them? and, I suspect, you can add KFB to the group of whiners when he finds out he splashed out £xxxx for a Merc & now has to drive it like a little old lady.
I could unplug the adaptor.

I'm not going too. I'm not not some paranoid conspiracy theorist.

In fact I'm not some lawbreaking speeder either... in the car.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

This stuff has been standard fit on fancy motahs for ages now - years and years, my 2012 car has it but I'm too tight to pay the subscription. If people were getting grassed up by their own cars the Daily Fail would have heard about it by now.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The wife's 2020 Aygo tells you the location, mileage, last trip, if there was hard braking or acceleration, etc... in the My Toyota App.

I used the app to stalk her like some kind of psycho (it's registered in my name).
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

According to my owners manual the ZH2 is black boxed..........

This is VERY VERY bad.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:22 pm I could unplug the adaptor.

I'm not going too. I'm not not some paranoid conspiracy theorist.

In fact I'm not some lawbreaking speeder either... in the car.
Compliance with speed limits (at least in the US) is put at no higher 10%*. If I was going to drone around at the speed limit 24/7 I'd buy something like the Lexus version of a Corolla (for comfort) or a Morris Minor (for being actively engaged with driving).
I expect that 10% figure will climb when cars have software that makes it impossible to break the speed limit.

If I personally was going to buy a Mercedes it would have to be a V12 (Ditto Astons etc).

*It's sure as hell not as high as 10% on my local freeway, it might not even be 0.25%. It's not all that unusual to be holding pace in a group of 10 -15 cars & then noticing that we're all cruising at 90+
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:46 pm According to my owners manual the ZH2 is black boxed..........

This is VERY VERY bad.
If I bent one at Warp Factor Stupid I'd make sure the wreckage was delivered to my home & that would be the last anyone saw of it. On the upside, at least it's not actively transmitting your indiscretions to people who would like to part you from your money via insurance or fines.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm lucky to exceed 50mph on my 8 mile commute.

That's why I swapped a hard as fuck, high strung John Cooper Works Mini for a soft and compliant Merc with a lux interior and lots of toys.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:11 pm I'm lucky to exceed 50mph on my 8 mile commute.

That's why I swapped a hard as fuck, high strung John Cooper Works Mini for a soft and compliant Merc with a lux interior and lots of toys.
A proper Cooper or one of the newer German ones?
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Woke early. Going to get the family up in a short while for our jaunt down to the beaches of sunny Broadstairs.... daughter insists on us having a least one beach day in our holidays (which is a good thing) and just need to find parking when we get there. Got three different parking apps on the phone and hoping that one of them will do the trick! Had my double espresso, just need to make coffee for the wife!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.