Aprilia Tuareg 660

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Aprilia Tuareg 660

Post by KungFooBob »

First official pic...

The 659cc parallel twin makes a claimed 80bhp, dry weight is 187kg (suggesting kerb weight will be around 200kg), suspension has a whopping 240mm of travel and seat height is a fairly leggy 860mm.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Aprilia Tuareg 660

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

The original Rotax engined ToeRag looked better
Honda Owner
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'm not against it, but at the end of the day, nothing I've seen in post purchase reports and issues would ever make a 660 of any description an option in our world
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Potter

Post by Potter »

Looks like a Chinese bike, I expected a bit more flair from Aprillia.
Numnut

Post by Numnut »

I can’t work out how to share it, but I saw this on a fb group about the rs660…

Italians…can’t make this stuff up 😂 So, went for a test ride of the RS today. Bike is great. However, the (not so) funniest thing ever happened at the dealership. They had two RS’. One A2 and one not restricted. Dude gets the keys and fires up the unrestricted one for me to go out on. Bike runs but throws an “enter code” error in the dash. He’s a bit puzzled, restarts the bike a few times, error still there. Gets his mate. He’s puzzled too. They stop/start the bike a few more times, still there. Mess with menus, error still there. Eventually, one of them says “You’re using the keys for the A2 one!” They both look at each other and don’t really know what to say… Gets the right keys, error gone. For a laugh, they even started the A2 with the keys for the other one!!!! Heard jokes about this stuff back in the day but never seen anything like this. The good news is that if you have an RS and loose your keys, your mate’s keys will prob get you going if he has one too 😂
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I like it. But TBF I also like the 700 Tenere and the African Twin.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The @ is a different class to the 'prilia and the T7.

I'm with Weeksy, the 660 motor seems to be a disaster waiting to happen.

I look forwards to the proper press T7 vs 660 tests
Potter

Post by Potter »

The looks ruin it totally for me, this fashion for no side panels is crap, and that headlight/screen attachment looks like they ran out of money and bolted something on from the M&P catalogue.

It probably goes ok, no idea about reliability, but regardless of all that it just looks rubbish.
GENT

Post by GENT »

As a long term owner (Nov 2020) of one of the first RS660's i can confirm after 1800 miles it has not blown up as yet.
I can also confirm the rear shock had just about zero damping from about 50 miles old.
I can also confirm the engine has lost power several times from a couple of seconds to a couple of mins, all indicative and feeling like an old carbed bike running out of fuel. and downright dangerous
I can also confirm the chain looks like it has been used for pulling the Evergreen from the Suez bank in a past life.
I can also confirm the dash goes a bit "disco" from time to time for no reason, and often resets the time back to 00:00 but not limited to hitting 88mph.
I can also confirm since the gear change selector and bearing were replaced under warranty - it now feels about as slick as my old RG500 did after 25,000 miles (yet was perfect before the dealer "updated" it)

However it does regularly see over 50mpg,
The Mrs finds it oddly comfy as a pillion,
It sounds pretty good and is comfy to ride.
I actually still really like it in a kind of misery love hate way.

Seriously its a nice bike, i placed my deposit for the RS back in March 2020 and got one of the first 12 in the UK, turns out i missed all the dodgy top ends and chocolate conrods - lucky me.
It actually is a cracking road bike, enough power for me, all the electronics so itched a scratch for me, and wet my appetite for modern bikes when so used to old shonkers all these years littering my garage.

Yes it does my head in, yes Piaggio support is pretty shite and i did come about 1" away from formally rejecting the bike (and still may if they have not actually fixed the loss of power issue)

But that said - ignore everything i just typed as i also own a SXV550 so clearly deserve everything i get including financial ruin.
The SXV550 can turn wealthy folk into debt ridden paupers with the blow of a head gasket !!! Bloody Aprilia's
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I reckon that looks quite smart.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ ... IhLLeu_abg

(Link to a billion photos)
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I reckon it looks good, but as a bike to take off road in the middle of nowhere and have confidence it’ll get me out, nah 🤣
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Potter wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:57 am The looks ruin it totally for me, this fashion for no side panels is crap, and that headlight/screen attachment looks like they ran out of money and bolted something on from the M&P catalogue.

It probably goes ok, no idea about reliability, but regardless of all that it just looks rubbish.
To me the headlight/screen attachment is a deliberate design to make it look a bit Rally Raid. The Tenere and Africa Twin and the new Husky Norden 901 all have the same where the headlight/screen has that look as if there is a nav tower behind it
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The 'prilla does look lighter than the KTM and the Husky. It probably isn't, but it looks it. It's got that slim looking top fairing like the 700 Tenere.

I think the 660 has a height adjustable screen, I'm sure I've seen a picture of it in the upper position and it looks a bugger.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I bought an Aprilia once, and like Gent, had an absolutely nightmare of ownership. I don't care how good they look or how people tell me how great they are, I'd never have one again.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!