What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Taipan »

Just watching footage of the fires iN turkey. 3 dead so far and villages razed to the ground. :( Be careful Yambo!

Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Got a migraine. I wouldn't normally comment, but it's only the second time in my life and the last time was 20 years ago - back then, there was no reason for it and today there's no reason that I can think of. It's easy to diagnose as I have a multicoloured, jagged, pulsing circle in the vision of my right eye and a mild headache.

Leave your sympathy here. I'm going to a dark room.
Lockdown refugee
Skub

Post by Skub »

Trinity765 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 pm Got a migraine. I wouldn't normally comment, but it's only the second time in my life and the last time was 20 years ago - back then, there was no reason for it and today there's no reason that I can think of. It's easy to diagnose as I have a multicoloured, jagged, pulsing circle in the vision of my right eye and a mild headache.

Leave your sympathy here. I'm going to a dark room.
It's maybe being too close to the Turkey fires just above ^ :shock:

GWS.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Trinity765 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 pm Got a migraine.
I very rarely get them, but I find sitting in the shower really helps me.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Oil/filter change on the Camaro. Now off to the store for more oil as it takes 6qts... & I had 5 1/2. Going to O'Reillys as there are some tools that I decided I can't live without.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Went to the local Mercedes stealership and drank their coffee while they registered and fitted (it only plugs into the ODB2 port) a Mercedes Me adapter.

I can now track my car, find where it's parked, check my fuel level, check my MPG and driving efficiency, report faults and read error codes as well as much more on the Mercedes Me smartphone app.

It cost me £0.00.

It's free for any MB made after 2002 that isn't 'connected' to the tinternet like the latest ones.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Bought tools, fixed the shitter, drilled hole in back wall to hang something, thinking about lunch
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:00 pm Went to the local Mercedes stealership and drank their coffee while they registered and fitted (it only plugs into the ODB2 port) a Mercedes Me adapter.

I can now track my car, find where it's parked, check my fuel level, check my MPG and driving efficiency, report faults and read error codes as well as much more on the Mercedes Me smartphone app.

It cost me £0.00.

It's free for any MB made after 2002 that isn't 'connected' to the tinternet like the latest ones.
Just who are they sharing that information with? & why doesn't your fuel gauge work? Does it allow you to delete the error codes etc? I have to say there's no fucking way I would fit even more electronic bullshit to a car & it sure as hell wouldn't be connected to my phone or the internet.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:51 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:00 pm Went to the local Mercedes stealership and drank their coffee while they registered and fitted (it only plugs into the ODB2 port) a Mercedes Me adapter.

It cost me £0.00.

Just who are they sharing that information with? & why doesn't your fuel gauge work? Does it allow you to delete the error codes etc? I have to say there's no fucking way I would fit even more electronic bullshit to a car & it sure as hell wouldn't be connected to my phone or the internet.
Obviously MB now know everything about me, from my 9 inch penis to my 140mph jaunt down the by pass. It's only data.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I took a friend to the airport so she could fly to Madrid to meet her boyfriend there for a holiday (he flew there from the States a couple of days ago!). Then detoured a little on the way home to go see someone who was really kind to me in rehab. He's having a hard time as there's an infection in the break/plate/somewhere that keeps flaring up and means he has to go to hospital (original accident was a year ago :o :o ).

He's back there now having had an op to 'clean out the area' and seemed pretty low on messages, so I made the detour. He really helped me in rehab because, even though we didn't talk much, he made time to stop and say a few words most days; and he invited me to a bbq with a load of other inmates a few weeks ago. Turns out he was as shy as me, so he was winding himself up to try and speak to me knowing I couldn't speak much French and I was winding myself up to try and speak French to him knowing he didn't speak much English!! LOL Neither of us realised the other was so shy at the time!! LOL

I'm bloody glad I did stop off. He's having a really hard time, I didn't 'get' all the French and he did talk in English a bit as well (I think his friends are otherwise occupied at the moment and/or his girlfriend is having a tantrum :roll: :roll:). But I think it helped to see a friendly face :D And we had an interesting chat too. Apparently he is glad we kept in touch because I'm 'different'!! LOL I had to laugh and say, "well, I am English, and have pink hair"!! LOL But while he was quite upset a few times, we also laughed, so hopefully that makes it worth the visit!!

The journey home was shit. The dinky car needed a hull, not four wheels! And W.T.F. do people insist on using sodding fog lights when it's only raining, not foggy!! Then it was foggy/cloudy at the bottom of the mountain and the only condition that freaks me out when driving is fog! Messes with my brain big style!!

Anyway - home safe and very tired!! LOL But glad I visited a fellow broken person!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:55 pm Obviously MB now know everything about me, from my 9 inch penis to my 140mph jaunt down the by pass. It's only data.
At least one of the insurance companies over here offers a device that plugs into the OBD port to track your driving *style*. The advertise it as a way to get cheaper rates based on your driving. Almost everyone ends up paying more when they add up how many times you broke the speed limit. Some people have even had their policies cancelled.
You can bet MB is sharing/selling that data... so when your insurance suddenly increases, you will know why.

It's only data...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

My lad has a mate, both 13, his dad died a couple of years ago, he struggles at times with it, not leaving his room for days etc. So me and one of the other parents have semi adopted him, making sure he's collected and comes out on all our big days out.
We were out yesterday and he had a blast, but his bike bent a tooth on the cassette somehow.

So I told him to leave his bike here. That was quickly stripped down this morning and straightened. But I also noticed his front wheel bearings were history in his hub, very rumbly.
2021-08-01_09-32-00 by Steve Weeks - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Happily for him, I carry lots of bearings in the spares box and 2 just happened to fit. This worked out nice as I can then also show my lad how to removed and replace bearings as part of his ongoing bike knowledge.
So they're done and his bike is ready to roll again, and it's only 9:30am.

Result
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

:thumbup:

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:37 am My lad has a mate, both 13, his dad died a couple of years ago, he struggles at times with it, not leaving his room for days etc. So me and one of the other parents have semi adopted him, making sure he's collected and comes out on all our big days out.
We were out yesterday and he had a blast, but his bike bent a tooth on the cassette somehow.

So I told him to leave his bike here. That was quickly stripped down this morning and straightened. But I also noticed his front wheel bearings were history in his hub, very rumbly.

Happily for him, I carry lots of bearings in the spares box and 2 just happened to fit. This worked out nice as I can then also show my lad how to removed and replace bearings as part of his ongoing bike knowledge.
So they're done and his bike is ready to roll again, and it's only 9:30am.

Result
This sort of post makes things proper dusty here. And reminds me (not that I've forgotten TBF!) how amazing people can be. It's not just the fixing, it's keeping an eye out for the kid. Making him feel part of things at a time when he feels different and maybe lost

You're an awesome human Weeksy. :obscene-drinkingcheers: (not sure the smiley says what I mean, but I'm sure you get the meaning!)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm trying hard to eat more veg. I'm not a fan, mostly because all the veg of my childhood was cooked so that everything went splat when it hit the plate :sick: :sick: Although in later years everything was al dente - better but I already hated all veg!! LOL (I'd eat peas cos I could swallow them whole! No texture or taste!! LOL). I don't eat beans (broad or green, or anything like lentils) cos I can't deal with the texture, so have had to say no to some variations from courgettes because of that!! (I still swallow peas and baked beans whole to avoid the texture :o )

I do like quite a lot of veg now but struggle to eat 'enough' of it - partly because supermarket veg really doesn't keep well up here so I don't buy as much as I should but also space and inclination!!

The last two weeks I've bought a veg box from a guy in the valley with an allotment. Sooooo many courgettes, green ones, yellow ones, round ones!!

I've pickled beetroot (I prefer it killed with vinegar, although I'd use malt vinegar in the uk!! LOL), used courgette instead of pasta in lasagne, used a lot of courgette in the filling for lasagne, made slices of courgette seasoned and baked, and currently making fritters (in an airfryer to keep with the healthy - takes soooooo long!!).

Last week I cooked spuds and made some chips (in the air fryer) but still haven't eaten the rest of the spuds! And I have More :o :o !!! And need to go buy some veg oil to make a courgette cake!! LOL (well, cakes in paper cases so I can give them away!)

Got more leafy greens - definitely not my fav, but found some pinenuts, so will probably steam some with those cos I know they are ok like that!

Think I might give next week's veg box a miss!! LOL Not sure I can deal with more courgettes and leafy veg! I don't really plan meals that much and I do need to so I don't see the fresh veg wilt away!! LOL

AND, I've now got to do a freezer sort out so I can fit some of what I've made into the freezer - I can't eat this much veg/all these meals in one week! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So it looks like today is definitely a vegetable day!! LOL
Skub

Post by Skub »

The bike and I hit the road at 6.20am,dry empty roads,but temperatures struggling around 8 degrees. I was well glad of the heated gear! Banged in about 4 hours riding and around 200 miles. I love having the world to myself.

I passed the campsite for the Armoy road races just as the campers were packing up to go home,looked like a good few headed for the Larne or Belfast ferry.

Visited my Da this afternoon and we shot the shit about this and that for a couple of hours. He told me about his great aunt who lived with him when he was a boy. When she became ill my Dad's aunt nursed her over 5 years until she died.

They lived in a very small house in the country and since there was little room he shared a bedroom with the sick great aunt who subsequently died in her sleep. In those days the undertakers came to the house and prepared the body for burial,so My Dad had to sleep in the same room as the recently deceased. He was 10 years old.

I asked him how he felt about that,he shrugged and said he was told a dead body will do him no harm.

At that age I'd have been shitting bricks. :shock:

The past is a different country for sure
Walt Whitman
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Went to B&Q, bought some bamboo roller blinds... the 180cm ones wouldn't fit in the boot.

Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Noggin wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:48 pm I'm trying hard to eat more veg. I'm not a fan, mostly because all the veg of my childhood was cooked so that everything went splat when it hit the plate :sick: :sick: Although in later years everything was al dente - better but I already hated all veg!! LOL (I'd eat peas cos I could swallow them whole! No texture or taste!! LOL). I don't eat beans (broad or green, or anything like lentils) cos I can't deal with the texture, so have had to say no to some variations from courgettes because of that!! (I still swallow peas and baked beans whole to avoid the texture :o )

I do like quite a lot of veg now but struggle to eat 'enough' of it - partly because supermarket veg really doesn't keep well up here so I don't buy as much as I should but also space and inclination!!

The last two weeks I've bought a veg box from a guy in the valley with an allotment. Sooooo many courgettes, green ones, yellow ones, round ones!!

I've pickled beetroot (I prefer it killed with vinegar, although I'd use malt vinegar in the uk!! LOL), used courgette instead of pasta in lasagne, used a lot of courgette in the filling for lasagne, made slices of courgette seasoned and baked, and currently making fritters (in an airfryer to keep with the healthy - takes soooooo long!!).

Last week I cooked spuds and made some chips (in the air fryer) but still haven't eaten the rest of the spuds! And I have More :o :o !!! And need to go buy some veg oil to make a courgette cake!! LOL (well, cakes in paper cases so I can give them away!)

Got more leafy greens - definitely not my fav, but found some pinenuts, so will probably steam some with those cos I know they are ok like that!

Think I might give next week's veg box a miss!! LOL Not sure I can deal with more courgettes and leafy veg! I don't really plan meals that much and I do need to so I don't see the fresh veg wilt away!! LOL

AND, I've now got to do a freezer sort out so I can fit some of what I've made into the freezer - I can't eat this much veg/all these meals in one week! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So it looks like today is definitely a vegetable day!! LOL
Gonna be windy in the French Alps tonight
Honda Owner
Skub

Post by Skub »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:12 pm Went to B&Q, bought some bamboo roller blinds... the 180cm ones wouldn't fit in the boot.
They'd make a cool soft top. :thumbup:
Walt Whitman
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

A few months ago a meme was popular, something about turning over in bed, sneezing and paralysis.
Well, I just farted and need a wheel chair...