Email, cookies, privacy!

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mussels

Re: Email, cookies, privacy!

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:00 am I'm not really arsed by cyber intrusion, AFAIK it's only as dangerous as offering me stuff I might want to buy but I'm not compelled to.

A mate got invited to Google in 2019, he's a fairly high profile businessman and basically he was invited over so they could show off their prowess, he said it was scary what they knew about him, they had his favourite coffee waiting when he sat down in their office.

I'm addicted to the internet so I can't escape it, I've tried to use it less but I'm an info junkie and it's like having the biggest personal library in the world but not using it - it's impossible to resist.

As long as you're not plotting to do anything dangerous then I don't see much point worrying.
I watched a demo at work where the IT guy had found someone who used a 'rate my beer' website, another website scraped data from there and formatted it. From that it was easy to see where and when the guy went and how much he drunk at what times. He also knew what job the guy did for what company (easily found on other scraping websites) and it would be really simple for someone to randomly rock up in the pub at the right time and causally chat about the right topics in order to find out more.
It's a random example but demonstrated how social media can have unexpected consequences.

I get loads of well targeted spam at work, I haven't given these companies the info and they all go down the friendly route before getting passive aggressive when I ignore them. They are trying to socially engineer me and I wouldn't be surprised if they tried an 'accidental' real life meeting if they knew where I'd be. This includes competitors as well as people just selling stuff.
ZRX61

Re: Email, cookies, privacy!

Post by ZRX61 »

Surveillance capitalism. Luckily my car is *dumb* & I now turn my phone off when I leave the house. No one needs to know where I go, also returned to using cash when shopping.