MCN : Bagger is better: BMW supersize the R18 with Transcontinental and R18B

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

MCN : Bagger is better: BMW supersize the R18 with Transcontinental and R18B

Post by weeksy »

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... ntal-r18b/

BMW have unveiled two new R18 based tourers – the R18B ‘Bagger’ and the R18 Transcontinental ‘full dresser’. Both bikes take the core of the R18, a giant 1802cc air-cooled boxer engine, exposed shaft drive and softail rear end while adding more comfort, increased range and top notch electronics.

They’re very similar – the R18B is basically a slimmed down version of the Transcontinental without a top box – but each one is aimed at a different person.

Both bikes are powered by the by the 1802cc boxer twin the first debuted in the R18 last year. Nothing has changed mechanically so it produces 89bhp at 4750rpm and 116.5lb.ft at 3000rpm, with 110ftlb of that available from 2000-4000rpm.

Again like the R18 both bikes share a twin loop steel frame, which echoes the designs BMW have been using for yonks. They also carry over the cantilevered softail rear end although both bikes get a 30% boost in rear suspension travel to 120mm for increased comfort.

The fuel tank has also grown on both models from 18l to 24l, so a range well in excess of 200 miles should be perfectly achievable.

And it should be easy enough too as sat atop the forks is a giant fairing to protect you from the elements. It’s the same size on both bikes but the Transcontinental comes with a taller screen as standard, a set of wind deflectors plus some vents in the fairing which you can open up if things get a bit steamy.

The riding position for both is also similar with mid-mounted food controls. The Transcontinental gets a huge great seat (which is heated as standard) and footboards, whereas the Bagger comes with a slimmer seat and more traditional footrests.

The Transcontinental also takes the lead with storage. Both bikes come with 27l panniers (or bags…) either side but the Transcon adds a 48l top box, which is big enough to swallow two full face lids.

Where things get really exciting are in the electronics department. For a start both bikes come with cruise control as standard but it’s possible to add ‘active cruise control’ as an option.

Active cruise uses radar to judge the distance to the vehicle in front and slow down or even brake if necessary. Hidden behind the giant batwing esque fairing on both bikes is a whopping 10.25" Full HD colour TFT screen, which does virtually all the control duties.

It’s bordered by four classic analogue dials that give fuel (finally!), speed, RPM and ‘power in reserve’, which is a feature they’ve nicked from fellow BMW brand Rolls Royce.

In effect while you ride along it lets you know at any one point how understressed the engine is. Probably makes more sense showing the stats of the 6.75L V12 in the Phantom, which will do motorways speeds barely past idle but there you go.

The really nifty part of the dash is the navigation, which just like the R1250RT runs via Wi-Fi on a dedicated app on a smartphone. To keep you going for longer, there’s a little cubby hole on the tank, which stores you phone and wirelessly charges it as you go. Smart eh?

Again just like the standard R18 there are three riding modes (Rain, Rock and Roll) plus a few other nifty optional extras such as hill start and reverse (although this should almost be viewed as a necessity as the B weighs 398kg while the Transcontinental a mind boggling 427kg).

As standard both the Transcontinental and the Bagger get a sound system crafted by the experts at Marshall. However if you’re going deaf, or enjoy upsetting your neighbours, there are also some Stage 1 and Stage 2 upgrades. The result is up to four loudspeakers, two subwoofers, 280w of power and probably an ASBO to go with it.

Bikes are to be expected in dealers by September 2021, with R18B prices starting at £21,500 and the R18 Transcontinental at £23,300, which is actually a damn sight cheaper than expected and (while it might not exactly sound cheap) it’s a few grand less than similar American machines.
Skub

Re: MCN : Bagger is better: BMW supersize the R18 with Transcontinental and R18B

Post by Skub »

I suppose if you want one, then you want one.

430kgs.....That's a couple of bags of cement heavier than a Goldwing.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: MCN : Bagger is better: BMW supersize the R18 with Transcontinental and R18B

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

It's less repulsive than a Harley
Honda Owner
Horse

Post by Horse »

That guy's visor needs cleaning.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:09 am

The riding position for both is also similar with mid-mounted food controls. The Transcontinental gets a huge great seat (which is heated as standard) and footboards, whereas the Bagger comes with a slimmer seat and more traditional footrests.
Is the oven under the seat then?
non quod, sed quomodo
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Can't wait to see one in the King of the Baggers racing.....

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorc ... -for-2021/
non quod, sed quomodo
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Ghastly whatever the logo on the tank.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

For me above a certain size motorcycle, a car starts to look like a better option.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I love this sort of thing. I'd never actually buy one (well I would as a 6th or 7th bike post lottery win) but I have to admire them a bit.

Are they any less stupid than a race rep? Or nearly any other bike in fact...if you want "logical" a car makes more sense 90% of the time. Bikes are meant to be a bit absurd. He'll I've got a stupid old classic which doesn't even fucking work but I still like it.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:36 am I love this sort of thing. I'd never actually buy one (well I would as a 6th or 7th bike post lottery win) but I have to admire them a bit.
Don't tell anyone, but if I won big I'd buy a Honda Rune.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174855884540 ... SwZflg~Dff
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I reckon you could stretch to a brand new one in that situation TBF.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I don't think they make them anymore.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Harley, often imitated, rarely equalled! :D If i won big I;d deffo have a Street Glide in my bike garage, but not one of these.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

430 Kg :!:

If I needed to scratch a cruiser itch, the new Sportster S (228 Kg) is way more appealing: Harley-Davidson reinvents the Sportster for 2021
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Muscley weightlifter types will probabl;y love those. Especially as their incredibly musclebound (but short) legs will be able to reach the ground when sat on it/them.

Me? you can fuck right off.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Taipan wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:12 pm Harley, often imitated, rarely equalled! :D If i won big I;d deffo have a Street Glide in my bike garage, but not one of these.
It's difficult for manufacturers to go back that far in their archives to put out something to "compete" with HD.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I actually quite like the 'normal' R18 in a "German Harley" kinda way. Puts me in mind of Zeppelins and elegant little cigarette lighters.

Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:54 pm I actually quite like the 'normal' R18 in a "German Harley" kinda way. Puts me in mind of Zeppelins and elegant little cigarette lighters.

And the 1200C didn't? :D

Even bland can be a type of character :wave: