Good 125's

Anything you like about motorbikes
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Re: Good 125's

Post by Jody »

Surely it's got to be a DT125R they did them in Supermoto trim though they are rare, there's even a few TDM125's about.

It has to be 2 stroke or he'll find it too slow. Though any 125 will feel slow as I seem to recall he's raced some MX ?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:56 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:48 pm Prompted by this I've just looked up what bikes you can ride when - no wonder motorcycling is dying in the UK, what a pile of cack
It looks to me like they've killed it, you have to take three tests, one at 17, then another at 19 and another at 21/24.
The EU Regs were written to allow different options. DSA/DfT went with 'test'.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Jody wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:05 am
It has to be 2 stroke or he'll find it too slow. Though any 125 will feel slow as I seem to recall he's raced some MX ?
Yeah and his bike here is a KTM390, so he's not overly chuffed about being restricted.
I suggested a two stroke scooter and he shot me a dirty look and told me not to take the piss :lol:

I think once he got used to it he'd actually have a lot of fun on a derestricted 2T 125, they feel fast for what they are, but it's finding one that isn't shagged. A decent Mk1 RD125LC would be good, because you can put a set of Renthals on and it's a decent riding position, but they're silly money.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

https://www.gumtree.com/p/husqvarna-mot ... 1409258593
https://www.gumtree.com/p/gas-gas-motor ... 1397942395

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234092966954 ... Sw6DRg8r~I

The Aprilia RX125 two stroke is a really good bike, but don't expect the engine to last forever, tbh same goes for the Gas Gas and Husky
Honda Owner
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:15 amtold me not to take the piss :lol:
Are you paying? Take the piss as much as you like.

If he's paying, take the piss anyway ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Potter

Post by Potter »

MX'ers on knobbly tyres are out, horrible things to ride on the road.

Tbh I don't think it's him being fussy so much because he doesn't have the experience to be fussy, I reckon he'd just ride whatever I put in front of him (as long as it's not a scooter) but knowing what I know I want to make sure he's on the right bike and has as much fun as possible.

It's also going to be used for a few weeks and then put away for a year, so it would be handy if it keeps it's value.
I'm swaying towards a nice RD125LC, it will be the little brother to my 350.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Early RD125LC makes a lot of sense, they're pretty reliable, have no power valve to wear out, and can be reasonably quick with a mild tune and a decent expansion chamber, but they're fetching good money for what they are.

My mate has got one that both of his sons used and now he uses it, it's a good little bike, but it's had to have the frame repaired, a new swing arm (both due to rust), so if you buy one really check it over.
Honda Owner
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:48 pm Prompted by this I've just looked up what bikes you can ride when - no wonder motorcycling is dying in the UK, what a pile of cack
Had a lot to do with the motorcycle industry refusing to take any responsibility for accident rates. I'm sure you know riders are 30-40 times more likely to be killed than a car driver, young riders are particularly at risk and speed is often a factor in fatal crashes.

Restricting young riders to less powerful machines by age, then making them jump through hoops (which are largely the result of the DfT / DVSA making the most of the EU licence directive) to get to the bigger machines has almost certainly done what the government wanted - fewer riders on the roads = fewer dead bodies.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Potter

Post by Potter »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:28 pm
Had a lot to do with the motorcycle industry refusing to take any responsibility for accident rates. I'm sure you know riders are 30-40 times more likely to be killed than a car driver, young riders are particularly at risk and speed is often a factor in fatal crashes.

Restricting young riders to less powerful machines by age, then making them jump through hoops (which are largely the result of the DfT / DVSA making the most of the EU licence directive) to get to the bigger machines has almost certainly done what the government wanted - fewer riders on the roads = fewer dead bodies.
If they actually want to save lives they could ban cigarettes, alcohol and junk food and save millions.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Potter wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:05 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:28 pm

If they actually want to save lives they could ban cigarettes, alcohol and junk food and save millions.
But no-one would vote for them again.

Let's face it - Motorcyclists are a blip on the political radar electorally speaking. For a Roads Minister who wants 'to be seen doing something' then we're a very easy target and he's not going to care what we think of his proposals because we're too small to affect his re-election chances.
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:18 pm
But no-one would vote for them again.

Let's face it - Motorcyclists are a blip on the political radar electorally speaking. For a Roads Minister who wants 'to be seen doing something' then we're a very easy target and he's not going to care what we think of his proposals because we're too small to affect his re-election chances.
They're taking a balanced view politically. Annoy the yoof because they don't vote etc. But don't upset the pensioners by eg BHP limits, mandatory retests, eyesight tests and Incontinence pads for BMW riders. :mrgreen:
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I'd be tempted by DT125Rs - mainly cos I like them. I'm not sure about RDs, I do like the later model TZR125 with the upside down forks.

I had an Aprilia 125 when I was 17 and I fucking loved it. It was full power but then again I was pretty street and hard and cool.

Some of the new / nearly new four stroke Honda and Yamaha 125s look nice but I know nothing about them
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Let him pick his own.

He might not want to live your RD fantasy :P
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

The Spin Doctor

Potter wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:05 pm If they actually want to save lives they could ban cigarettes, alcohol and junk food and save millions.
They have added significant amounts of tax to ciggies and booze as you know from every budget. Boris just dodged a junk food tax. Smokers have gone from 50% in the 70s to around 20%.

And they could ban water too. As many people drown as die on bikes.

But bikes are an easy target for the road safety lobby.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:46 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:05 pm If they actually want to save lives they could ban cigarettes, alcohol and junk food and save millions.
They have added significant amounts of tax to ciggies and booze as you know from every budget. Boris just dodged a junk food tax. Smokers have gone from 50% in the 70s to around 20%.

And they could ban water too. As many people drown as die on bikes.

But bikes are an easy target for the road safety lobby.
If bikes weren't dangerous beasties, you'd be out of a job ;)
The Spin Doctor

The only thing is, with only 9.6 hp on tap (more like a dribble) they WILL be slow! The old CG made 11 and that would just about puff its way to 60mph with me on board.

14.6 is yer lot on an A1 bike. But 9.6 is missing half the pudding!
The Spin Doctor

Yorick wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:53 pm And they could ban water too. As many people drown as die on bikes.
Spin wrote: But bikes are an easy target for the road safety lobby.
If bikes weren't dangerous beasties, you'd be out of a job ;)
As would swimming instructors ;)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Ironically aside from new riders on low power bikes the insurance premiums are also now being loaded for the older riders with blank no claims as thats the "born again" lot returning to biking but the last thing they rode was a GPz750/CB1000 in the late 80's and now getting on S1000RR's or R1's , Blades etc.

For @Potter yeah the license system here now is heavily set against younger riders and the A1 for 17 year olds is fairly pointless apart from allowing a 17 year old to ride a 125 without L plates and carry passengers ....... requires a theory test, Mod 1 and Mod 2 pass. Might as well ride on L plates till 19 on CBT and then go for A2 license thus not paying for the whole thing twice
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

I'd also vote for an 80s RD125LC. Rode one once it hit an indicated 80 and kept up with us on our 250s.