Track bike projects

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Supermofo

Track bike projects

Post by Supermofo »

An old mate I've been friends with since I was 12 called me Tuesday to say his Dad had died. Gutted as know his family really well having spent lots of time together over the years.

He called me yesterday as I'd offered help/support to say could I collect the track bikes stored at his Dad's plus his ZX6 road bike as they need to clear the rented house. So gotta clear my garage to try and get 4 bikes in!

He also said he's not interested in the track bikes and I can have them if I can get rid of them. So what to do?

The R6 I bought with my mate and my Dad from EssexBladeRider and Dicky Mint on TRC. It belonged to a good mate of theirs who sadly was killed. I spent 3 years having a cracking time on track with it until my mate met a new woman and dropped off the radar. His car had the tow bar so no more track days. I'd hoped to get back to it and we did do one about 12 months later but the R6 ran like shit I think due to being left with old fuel. After this mate said he take the R6 to his and sort the carbs (he's a bike mechanic). Since lots of time has passed and stuff happens and the R6 got left. He did clean out the carbs but didn't get the bike back together. Current thoughts are put back together, clean tank, new fuel, battery, service and hope it runs OK. I don't think I'll keep it as don't have a van or trailer so too much of a ballache to get back to track days on it. Pity as it was perfect with some nice extras and loads of spares. This was a pic from about 12 months ago. No idea on value but hoping reasonable amount with spare faring, subframe, wheels etc

The GSXR thou. Mate bought this as a damaged bike, stripped it completely and rebuilt as a track bike. Need to get more info. He bought it just before we stopped and only did 1 track day on it. I think he removed all the road leccys etc. He said when he went to start it the fuel pump had packed up. Not sure on this but running it'll be worth more than non running so got try and sort it...which will be interesting as I have the mechanical know how and skill of a one legged goat. Don't want to spend too much sorting it in case I can't manage it but at the same time I want to have it running. I'm also tempted to keep it if it was easy enough to get back on the road but doubt that'll happen. Early GSXR thous seem to be going up in value but this is a bit of an unknown bike to me at the min and not running so need to see what's what. Anyway heres the Gixxer...and its not pink

So step 1 is project clear shit from my garage. Then collect bikes on Sunday morning.

Step 2...God knows, watch this space while I ask lots of questions and make lots of fuck ups before listing the bikes as non running projects :lol:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Track bike projects

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Let me know how much you want for the R6, would you like an FZR400RR in part ex?
I've decided to move up to a modernish 600 as I'm finding the 400 cramped and your post has come along at just the right time.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news and I hope I'm wrong, but those 5EB R6's are notorious for cracking liners when they get to a certain age/miles.

The first sign is usually slightly rough running, the advice is to never buy one that the seller suggests "Just needs a carb clean".
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:58 am Let me know how much you want for the R6, would you like an FZR400RR in part ex?
I've decided to move up to a modernish 600 as I'm finding the 400 cramped and your post has come along at just the right time.
Will PM you.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:38 pm I don't want to be the bearer of bad news and I hope I'm wrong, but those 5EB R6's are notorious for cracking liners when they get to a certain age/miles.

The first sign is usually slightly rough running, the advice is to never buy one that the seller suggests "Just needs a carb clean".
Well I can't say for sure, but I'd hope not. I did a track day on it and it was perfect and ran great. It then sat for 12 months and ran like it was being starved of fuel so it idled fine and ran up and down my road ok but round paddock hill it just started to die on me as I gave it revs. Felt like fuel/carbs to me. So I wouldn't be expecting more.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Hmmm. So since I last saw the bikes they've been allowed to deteriorate somewhat :thumbdown: My initial thoughts on seeing them was :o I've not had a proper look as had a lot to do with having to get my mate (a different one) to pick me up, then go get the trailer and then do 2 trips to get the bikes as the trailer whilst a 3 bike trailer is for off road bikes not road bikes so got the R6/Gixxer first and then back for the road ZX6. So for now my initial assessment is they are in poor condition but I'll pull the R6 out at some point and have a proper look.

One thing that isn't in dispute is that the R6 fucking stinks. My whole garage now smells of leaked off petrol like turps :sick: anything I can do to try and get rid of the smell? The ZX6 also stinks and the fuel pipe by the tap has leaked all over the frame which now looks a mess. I've got round this by putting the ZX6 in my garden. I can't do the same with the R6 as seems it's missing it's carbs and some other bits which are in one of the bags I picked up. But given the rain we had yesterday I didn't think it wise storing it outside. Although to be fair I probably couldn't do it anymore harm than it's seen to date! So it's in my garage stinking the place out.

Can't help but feel a bit sad that 3 bikes have been left to ruin. We'll see but I reckon this is more of a project than I'd want to take on :(
Skub

Post by Skub »

I can only give my full attention to one bike at a time,probably the main reason I only own one.

What about getting rid of two and making the task less daunting,then you can fiddle away at your own pace without feeling overwhelmed by the jobs still waiting and getting worse?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Skub wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:49 pm I can only give my full attention to one bike at a time,probably the main reason I only own one.

What about getting rid of two and making the task less daunting,then you can fiddle away at your own pace without feeling overwhelmed by the jobs still waiting and getting worse?
Funnily enough my mate called to say he's sold the gixxer and his other mate is taking the ZX6 (which is good cos it bloody stinks). So hopefully in a week or so I'll only have the R6.

If I get a chance im gonna get the R6 out and start cleaning it up a bit and making a list of jobs
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

List of jobs

No.1 buy a box of matches
No.2 hope old fuel burns
Honda Owner