Formula 1, 2021 season, tips, info, pics, thread.

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Formula 1, 2021 season, tips, info, pics, thread.

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:38 pm From the overhead shot you could see LH kept a constant radius. MV tightened his line.
Isn't that following the racing line?
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:11 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:38 pm From the overhead shot you could see LH kept a constant radius. MV tightened his line.
Depends where the racing line actually is.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:20 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:11 pm
Depends where the racing line actually is.
And if there's a car on it.

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

And if you go for the gap which was never there you're Roman Grosjean.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Although he was two car widths away from the verge. Max only has to leave one, Hamilton took two.

Not sure if Max really tightened his line so much as open the steering to give Hamilton sufficient room without crowding him, then at some stage he does have to turn right!
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

I think someone should mention to MV, the great Fangio quote,
To finish first, first one must finish!
MV has a psychological weakness, which considering his age is no surprise. He wants to win the race in the first 5 laps.
Mercedes have finally sorted their car out this year, RB know this, and the clear advantage they had early season will evaporate.
MV will be WC one day, but I dont think it will be this year!
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

But the race is won or lost on the first few laps. That is what F1 has become and why they are changing the rules.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:09 pm But the race is won or lost on the first few laps. That is what F1 has become and why they are changing the rules.
Certainly was for MV yesterday
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Seb Vettel made good use of the spare time he had following his DNF....

Nidge

Post by Nidge »

I’ve just returned from a glorious 4 days at Silverstone. The excitement and added interest of the new format worked well IMO and there was plenty to cheer about the whole weekend (George Russell being cheered at every corner in quali was heartwarming). Loved the masters Pre 1966 support races - Lotus’s, Mustangs, E-types etc sideways through club was very entertaining, as was the sight and sound of Lewis Hamilton’s old V10 MacLaren (being auctioned and went for £4.2m) - as much as I admire the technical tour de force that the hybrid era has brought, there’s nothing to compare with a V10 on full chat.

The main feature races (F1 and F2) were thrilling and compelling- all in all a bloody good weekend
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

A quick reminder of how "nowhere near level with him" he was.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I went riding & set the race to record. I'd watched up to the red flag & then buggered off. I have it set to record an extra 60 minutes in case of red flag delays etc.
Get home later in the day, sit down to watch the race (even though I knew the results etc).... & the 60 minute extra recording stopped half way round the final lap.... arsebiscuits. It's being aired again on July 30th... Won't bother.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

lostboy wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:08 am A quick reminder of how "nowhere near level with him" he was.

Hamilton is behind max at all times. He is never in front.

The inside line is slower than running around the outside, Hamilton probably knows this as a 7 times world champ :hmmm: . Assuming both drivers are pretty good at what they do (!) and can maximise their entry speed, Max can brake later and carry more speed so because Hamilton is already behind he will have to brake sooner carry less speed into the apex. He has to fall further behind Max.

Hamilton went for an overtake, never got to the point where it would work unless Max decided to concede the corner. But since Max is ahead, it is his corner and he is not going to give it up just because Hamilton is threatening to divebomb him.

Hamilton should have realised he couldn't make this move without Max capitulating to the threat of a deliberate collision. Max did not give up the corner, Hamilton rammed him off from behind.

For the second time is the same season, Max has a potential victory wiped out and scores nil point. Thats 50 points lost to Hamilton in a championship that will probably be decided by a handful of points.

Hamilton goes on to win which is a double whammy. Subtract 25 points from max, the stewards donate 25 points to Hamilton with a slap on the wrist penalty for taking out Max.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Mate, you really need to stop. If that's not a gap that a racing driver should be in then everyone needs to pack up and go home.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

lostboy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:30 am Mate, you really need to stop. If that's not a gap that a racing driver should be in then everyone needs to pack up and go home.
Read my post above again and tell me where I suggest otherwise.

Hamilton clearly went for a move that was not going to be possible. He should have backed out rather than ram into the championship leader.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

It was a racing incident and, in reality, an inch or two given by either driver would have avoided any contact, the judgment by the stewards was that Hamilton was "predominantly to blame" (suggesting not wholly culpable) and they elected to give the second most lenient punishment (suggesting a fairly minor aberration). I'm no Hamilton fanboi but I would hate to see such attempts at overtaking legislated out of existence - the most memorable championships have always had fierce rivalry and the slight contact made by Hamilton pale into insignificance when you consider Senna/Prost, Schumacher/Hill or even Mansell/Piquet.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:55 am
lostboy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:30 am Mate, you really need to stop. If that's not a gap that a racing driver should be in then everyone needs to pack up and go home.
Read my post above again and tell me where I suggest otherwise.

Hamilton clearly went for a move that was not going to be possible. He should have backed out rather than ram into the championship leader.
That wasn't clear at all.

If you're such a fan boy of F1 and what to tell us what is and isn't possible (from the rest of your post) why didn't Max keep his foot in it and stay around the outside - as Alonso did to Vettel in 2014 one of the best overtakes ever seen in F1?

Max turned in and created the problem. He wanted to be play the macho game and lost. He's done it plenty of times and won - not this time.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

lostboy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:18 am That wasn't clear at all.

If you're such a fan boy of F1 and what to tell us what is and isn't possible (from the rest of your post) why didn't Max keep his foot in it and stay around the outside - as Alonso did to Vettel in 2014 one of the best overtakes ever seen in F1?

Max turned in and created the problem. He wanted to be play the macho game and lost. He's done it plenty of times and won - not this time.
Oh dear. Ok I'll explain it again.

They are both going into that corner at the maximum possible speed but on different trajectories. If you have ever entered a corner knowing you're inevitably going to exit on the curb, it is insanely tense (and great fun of course). Great example being Paddock Hill at Brands. Very early entry, very high speed and you will run out right to the edge every time. You know this all the way through the corner more so than any other corner I am familiar enough to try maxing out.

We digress.

Max is on a faster outside line which will (would have) taken him to the the curb on exit, possibly slightly over it.

Hamilton is on a slower inside line which will take him to the curb on exit possibly slightly over it. Hamiltons' car is also set up for low downforce/high speed so his corner speed is further compromised compared to Max, ergo, he has to be slower than Max on entry.

On top of that, his entry speed is still very close to Max so he would inevitably be aiming for the same part of the curb that Max would be aiming for. Thankfully, he was able to ram him out of the way with a perfectly executed PIT manoeuvre and the corner was his.

Max was thinking Hamilton would have to keep out of the way because he was ahead of him on entry.

Hamilton was thinking if Max doesn't get out of my way I'm going to hit him.

Max was right, Hamilton was wrong (although, in a way, I suppose he was also right about hitting Max if he didn't capitulate).

You suggest Max should keep his foot in (which he did) and run around the outside which is impossible. Either you slow down and "run around the outside" off line or you maintain speed as you suggest but on the racing line because you are ahead (which appears to be the part you don't agree with).

Hamilton goes on to "prove" a "safe" overtake can be done by deliberately choosing Copse to overtake Leclerc in a massively slower car. Leclerc still has to run off track to avoid the inevitable coming together on the exit. Hamilton is a very clever racer and a brilliant driver. He made a mistake, went into Copse too fast off line and rammed Max.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

So in summary - you're a fan of Max, who isn't as good a driver as Alonso because he managed to get all the way around the outside of Vettel with no issues in 2014 and without turning in and you're not a fan of Lewis, who put his car where a racer should and got turned in on.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

@Screwdriver You're in a minority of one. Just check the 'likes'. Give it up.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.