5%
I dont need no steenkin coach, i am a riding god
7%

Total votes: 41

weeksy
Site Admin

Re: How many of you have had professional coaching to improve your road riding

Post by weeksy »

I'm honestly fighting the urge to close this thread. I'll leave it to Spin/Horse to decide via PM if it stays open... I'll even go as far as to leave it up to Yin if it deserves to remain.

I don't want bad feeling here between us, especially long standing mates/members of the previous incarnations.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:26 pm
You mean like the post where I congratulated Dickyboy on his knowledge?
I'm sure he was chuffed to bits for you to pat him on the head for something he already knew, not condescending at all.
And your "the only complaint I've ever had was from a basket case quivering in his garden and getting his wife to talk for him" really put my mind at rest.

We're not going to agree and I'm not so keen on dragging this into 18 pages, so I'll leave you to it :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:57 pm
We're not going to agree and I'm not so keen on dragging this into 18 pages, so I'll leave you to it :thumbup:
You could've just written that bit :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I don't think I ever ventured into survival skills in the other place and am unlikely to venture whatever its called here, but this thread has made me want to check out whar Spin's is training all about and might venture over there when I have time. So the old adage there's no such thing as bad publicity proves itself?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tell you what i'll do here...

I'll throw in the pot the price for a day for any 'regular' to have a day/session with Spin. As long as both parties are open to it being a completely open discussion/review at the end of it. I don't mind which person does the course out of us all, but has to be a regular poster who's experienced on a bike.

Fair ?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

If there's money in the kitty that sounds good.

I no real desire to do training one way or the other, but perhaps contrary to expectations I'll listen to anyone. I've done tens of thousands of miles on a bike but I've not done any training since I passed my test in 2001. I'll even go halves with you weeksy if there are no better takers :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:10 pm If there's money in the kitty that sounds good.

I no real desire to do training one way or the other, but perhaps contrary to expectations I'll listen to anyone. I've done tens of thousands of miles on a bike but I've not done any training since I passed my test in 2001. I'll even go halves with you weeksy if there are no better takers :lol:
There's not currently.... but i'll cover it myself until the kitty is topped up by membership sign ups...

Especially all the newbies who i'm expecting to sign up any day now ;)

You're top of the list then currently fella.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm sure they're just lining up waiting to see the outcome of this!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I'm not sure its a good idea as it's potentially damaging to someones livelihood?
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:02 pm Tell you what i'll do here...

I'll throw in the pot the price for a day for any 'regular' to have a day/session with Spin. As long as both parties are open to it being a completely open discussion/review at the end of it. I don't mind which person does the course out of us all, but has to be a regular poster who's experienced on a bike.

Fair ?
It's your money but I'm not sure that's fair, he shouldn't be on trial, this is just a discussion.

If you want a real test of a system that should be applicable anywhere then send him here, I'll put him up and lend him a bike, if he can beat me on a 100 miles round trip through the city dodging Indian/Pakistani taxi drivers, lorries and delivery bikes, and survive then I'll shake his hand :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

Tbh I'd just delete this thread.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:15 pm I'm not sure its a good idea as it's potentially damaging to someones livelihood?
I can see why you'd say that, but how is it any different to someone who's paid "independently" for it?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:16 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:02 pm Tell you what i'll do here...

Fair ?
It's your money but I'm not sure that's fair, he shouldn't be on trial, this is just a discussion.
Interesting thought... Hmmm
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Will you pay my flights as well?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:34 pm Will you pay my flights as well?
You're way beyond help...

Can you imagine his face when you turned up in flip-flops.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:35 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:34 pm Will you pay my flights as well?
You're way beyond help...

Can you imagine his face when you turned up in flip-flops.
I've got sparky sliders on my flip flops :banana-dance:
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Again, I’m baffled by the heat in this thread. We’re only talking about bike training, not anything serious like a pandemic or England vs Italy. No training suits 100% of punters, does it?

Does @The Spin Doctor need to work on his internet charm and online allure? Perhaps. But he’s a top bloke in person. I’m a regular rider who happens to have done the odd course with him. So, I can testify that his training is valuable, rewarding and enjoyable.

I'd also add that I wasn't wet behind the earplugs when I went to Spin. I already had a good few years commuting year-round (no car) and my share of track days and dirt biking, but I still found his training valuable. I recommend it.
Dickyboy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:25 pm if you are really serious about saving bikers lives you need to pass this on to someone who can update it and present a slick video. Best wishes & not wishing to offend.
@Dickyboy is right, and it's good feedback for Spin. I imagine the issue could be budget, graphic design know-how or available time? But I'd encourage Spin to get to grips with looking slicker online.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:11 pm I'd encourage Spin to get to grips with looking slicker online.
FFS will you give the guy a break? He had a haircut and shaved his beard off as his 2020 media makeover :roll: :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I would love to sign up for the "free day with Spin and write an honest review" but it would be a fair old step to wherever Spin is based now. Having in the past paid my own money for Spin I am certain I would get benefit out of it. I did last time around.

The poll in the first post says it all. No-one is forced to have extra training, but about 1/2 did, and I will bet a Soapy tenner that they paid for themselves rather than availing themselves of a Weeksy's type offer. So it is voluntary, and those who know it all can sit back and keep their money in their pocket. AFAIK no-one is no-one is presurising anyone.

As for the SOBS bit, I found it interesting, but it is academic document, so some people will not much enjoy it. It is NOT a training manual, and a session with Spin will not involve discussing it in detail. Knowing just some of the ideas could however save your life.

Interesting thing is that most top-level sports people use a coach. Novak Djokovic has a coach, I doubt that the coach could beat Djokovic at tennis, but Djokovic thinks it is worthwhile to pay for his coaching. Sometimes it can be worth having another set of eyes watching what you do, and how and when you do it, and maybe suggesting alternatives to consider.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Potter

Post by Potter »

I kind of feel this has got too personal and I apologise for that, it's ended up a bit ming-mongy and obviously some of my comments have been aimed at the people I'm disagreeing with on this thread but I think it's fair to say that I've never met any of the instructors here and I'm arguing based on my experience with other instructors.