GPZ900R

Anything you like about motorbikes
G.P

Re: GPZ900R

Post by G.P »

I reckon they're a decent investment if you can find a good original one. Dunno whether it would be worth the investment to do a total resto on one but Looks like you can pick up a well loved one for £5k
Also depends what you want to do with it. If you get pleasure from looking at it sitting in the garage and being taken out for a sunny Sunday morning trip down memory lane, well why not?
None of this is about what's good or better than newer / older bikes, its about the experience and what you enjoy. I still want to get another BSA C15 for chugging around at 50mph down the back lanes - I ahd one as a teenager and although it was a complete shed compared to the RD250C I had, it was great fun.
The only nostalgic thing I don't buy into is the FS1E / AP50 / SS50 Sports moped thing. When we were 16 we had great fun and they gave us independence but all we were really doing was dreaming of being 17 and getting something that could keep up with (or preferably overtake) the traffic The Market for these things will collapse with the passing of our generation IMO because they were unique to people in a narrow age band and have no other redeeming attributes to interest the younger generation.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

If you want one for nostalgia or the whole classic thing, get an A1 to 6 if the intention is to ride it, an A7 or 8 will give you a 17" front wheel which helps no end with tyre choice. GPZ zone is great for spares or Sean Jones for used spares. the tanks rust and are getting dear.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I don't really have much nostalgia other than having a poster of one as a youth.
The weight might be an issue.

I loved owning the ZXR750H1 I bought a few years ago, and riding it was fun, if only for the induction roar, but after half an hour on it there was no getting away from it being an uncompromising beast that weighed a ton and had limited power.
If I had unlimited space I'd have a mint restored one, but it wouldn't get used much.

Perhaps the 900R should stay as a poster bike, for now anyway.
I think once I'm retired, or at least in one place for long enough, I'll probably have a different bike every summer until I've worked through the bikes I wanted when I was younger.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:22 am If old bikes are so crap, how am I passing modern bikes with 3 times the bhp of my FZR400 on track?
You’re passing slower riders, if that feels good then cool 🤣
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

As for JB passing bigger bikes on his 400.
Having ridden one, they are an absolute tool and excel on track. You also only have 70hp tops, which means you can be an animal with the throttleand its unlikely to launch you into orbit.
I've got several vids of me overtaking everything from rsv4s to R1s to 898s to tz250s and everything in between on a shonky sports tourer on road tyres.
Its not what you've got but the way that you use it!
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

1888 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:33 pm
Sadlonelygit wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:26 pm As for JB passing bigger bikes on his 400.
Having ridden one, they are an absolute tool and excel on track. You also only have 70hp tops, which means you can be an animal with the throttleand its unlikely to launch you into orbit.
I've got several vids of me overtaking everything from rsv4s to R1s to 898s to tz250s and everything in between on a shonky sports tourer on road tyres.
Its not what you've got but the way that you use it!
^^ That ^^

Neighbour up the street who thinks he is the bees knees with his R1. I met him a few miles from our home town and started to push him. Could see when we hit the straights he was up for it but then he started to slow for the bends. I ended up catching again, passing and loosing him. What was i on?????

This

My lad has one of those as his first post DA bike, it's a nice wee thing, I had one donkeys years ago and they're fun.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:12 pm Old bikes deserve in the past. Unless it's in your dreams.

If a 20 year old bike is so fucking good, then a 40 year old bike must be double as good.

Shall I go on ?

In 20 years time, folk won't regard the 80s and 90s machines, coz they'll be scrap.

They'll be wanking about bikes like my new GSXR :)
I'd wager most of the old 80s stuff still alive now will still be around in 20 years, the more modern, electronic monsters we have now have more chance of being scrap because some diode somewhere has burnt out and can't be found. Saying that, President Thunburg will probably have banned all ICE vehicles by then and more than likely, us oul boys will be in an urn.

You can't deny modern bikes are far, far better than the old stuff, but that's not the point, it's the same way Gordon Ramsay will make a better burger than spotty oik in Maccy D's but sometimes you just want something cheap and dirty because you feel like it for whatever reason.

As for the GPz9, I wouldn't pay big money for one because as good as they were, they're not exactly at classic status yet.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:12 pm Old bikes deserve in the past. Unless it's in your dreams.

If a 20 year old bike is so fucking good, then a 40 year old bike must be double as good.

Shall I go on ?

In 20 years time, folk won't regard the 80s and 90s machines, coz they'll be scrap.

They'll be wanking about bikes like my new GSXR :)
Your missing the point. People don't buy them cos they are as good or better than todays bikes. The want them for pure nostalgia reasons. My Mazda 3 is better in almost every single way than the load of classic cars that meet at my local pub 1st Sunday of every month. But I def get the appeal of a 60s Mustang.

As for 80s/90s bikes, as long as petrol vehicles are allowed I reckon 1st GSXR/ZXR/Blade/R1 etc will all be classic bikes. Same as Triumph Bonnies are 12-13k now.

Must admit I'd rather have a 96 Blade like I had over your brand new GSXR. In spite of your GSXR being better in every way.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

A friend of mine has just bought a Z250 with a Polaris fairing just like the one he had 30 years ago. :mrgreen:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

chillitt wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:46 pm A friend of mine has just bought a Z250 with a Polaris fairing just like the one he had 30 years ago. :mrgreen:
That's bad in every way :mrgreen:
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:03 pm
chillitt wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:46 pm A friend of mine has just bought a Z250 with a Polaris fairing just like the one he had 30 years ago. :mrgreen:
That's bad in every way :mrgreen:
I know. I sent him a link to the ebay ad... :shock:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Are you a dealer in misery to send him that link ;)
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:35 pm
Are you a dealer in misery to send him that link ;)
I told him it will be like the old days when we took the piss out of him for having the first one, and he still bought it...