5%
I dont need no steenkin coach, i am a riding god
7%

Total votes: 41

Beancounter

Re: How many of you have had professional coaching to improve your road riding

Post by Beancounter »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:54 pm
Are there two levers on the clutch side?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Beancounter wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:31 pm
Could be the protector jobbies, see the August trackday thread.

Edit: one on the right visible too
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Come on boys, do a little research
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Lol, yes two levers. Clutch and back brake. Some riders use a thumb rear brake and some use a rear brake with a normal lever like a scooter. The clutch is only used at the start then the quick shifter and blipper takes over 👍
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Beancounter wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:31 pm
One is the clutch, the other is a "scooter" rear brake lever. Thumb operated rear brakes used to be the thing but once the clutch was only used for getting off the line due to quickshifters then the space was available on the left bar for a proper brake lever

EDIT: that will teach me to scroll down on my phone before replying to a post as already been answered by Couchy
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Horse wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:09 pm
Looked for the Whitham pic, can't find it. But you've reminded me that you can see his eyes.
Even that close together?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:04 pm
Noggin wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:55 pm This is kinda what some of my posts have been - I didn't have good instruction at test level. I learnt the vanishing point from the friend that I went out with. I learnt a lot more from him that in my Direct Access course

Sure, the instructors 'should' have taught me the basics. Yes there were quite a few things I 'should' have learnt in that week

But I did just learn to pass my test. The rest I learnt as I went along. Regardless of the posts saying I learnt the basics etc, IMO the basics were how to pass my test! I mist have had the bad or the ugly!! It was a long time ago though! :lol: :lol:
Fair enough... I wasn't there etc. I know what SHOULD be covered... and I know what may get skipped too. So fair enough sounds like you got some poor basic training. And when it happens, not only is the trainee short-changed, but the negative comments about training generally set the tone for the way people see post-test training as "more of the same"... which isn't necessarily true.
I totally get that you are saying what 'should' have been taught, but I do know what 'was/wasn't' taught!! LOL Albeit a long time ago and probably less 'managed' by DSA or whoever

However, as I've said often, this did not set a tone for me not to get more training - completely the opposite. I totally believe in further/advanced training BECAUSE I'm aware of how little I learnt in the Direct Access. And then I had a 6 year break because I broke my back and couldn't get a bike after I recovered (off work for a few months then a job change, so not possible to buy a bike!). Also, because of the track instruction I have had I can appreciate that I improve every time I've been out with an instructor. So, with a good road instructor, I know I will learn and at the very least, gain confidence in what I do

I am trying to put a positive look on advanced/further training!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

I thought I'd watch the Spin Doctors SOBS presentation last night, partly to see if there is a lot of stuff I don't know which might spur me on to take some advanced training, turns out it didn't tell me much I wasn't already aware of. It did lead me down a YouTube rabbit hole of UK bike near misses & I've concluded that every helmet cam should come with free advanced tuition - absolutely shocking std of riding out there 😳
Horse

Post by Horse »

Dickyboy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:57 am the Spin Doctors SOBS presentation last night, partly to see if there is a lot of stuff I don't know ... turns out it didn't tell me much I wasn't already aware of.
That's because you have diligently absorbed everything posted here, on TRC and VD ;)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dickyboy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:57 am I've concluded that every helmet cam should come with free advanced tuition
I've seen some really shocking riding on youtube where the rider deliberately puts themselves in a really shit situation just so they can go mad about it and moan. Nuts.

Bugger all point in being 'in the right' (as they perceive it) if you're on the floor in a screaming heap.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

That's because you have diligently absorbed everything posted here, on TRC and VD
Err don't even know what TRC is & don't think I've ever visited visor down, I did do my cbt in about 1983 if that helps?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Dickyboy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:01 pm
That's because you have diligently absorbed everything posted here, on TRC and VD
Err don't even know what TRC is & don't think I've ever visited visor down, I did do my cbt in about 1983 if that helps?
In that case, congratulations! You are well educated in the ways of vision and conspicuity :)
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:53 pm
Dickyboy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:57 am I've concluded that every helmet cam should come with free advanced tuition
I've seen some really shocking riding on youtube where the rider deliberately puts themselves in a really shit situation just so they can go mad about it and moan. Nuts.

Bugger all point in being 'in the right' (as they perceive it) if you're on the floor in a screaming heap.
Totally this, worse with cars though. Car pulls out, so rather than ease off, they accelerate then move towards the centre of the road before shouting and swearing. Pathetic wankers.

I've had a dash cam in my van then car for about 14 months. In that time I've driven to Spain and back to the UK three times, and a final drive to Spain, plus about 6,000 kms in and around Spain. Never seen anything worth saving to watch later.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Dickyboy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:57 am I thought I'd watch the Spin Doctors SOBS presentation last night, partly to see if there is a lot of stuff I don't know which might spur me on to take some advanced training, turns out it didn't tell me much I wasn't already aware of. It did lead me down a YouTube rabbit hole of UK bike near misses & I've concluded that every helmet cam should come with free advanced tuition - absolutely shocking std of riding out there 😳
You must be one of the very few riders who already knew to look out for the collision with the oncoming vehicle turning right, rather than focus exclusively on the one emerging from the left then. Few riders know about that one being the killer crash. It's still a shocker to most people.

I've been raising the issues in SOBS for getting on for twenty years now, but must of what I was talking about - particularly around the ineffectiveness of hi-vis and DRLs - was greeted with considerable scepticism and disbelief. Motion camouflage and saccadic masking were unheard of. No-one considered that hi-vis only works if it's a contrasting colour. The idea that pink might be an effective hi-vis colour in rural areas was laughed at.

When I first created SOBS in 2012 much of the content was still controversial (SOBS predates the FortNine video on the same topic incidentally). But then we won an International road safety award for Biker Down, and Biker Down - including the SOBS presentation - was picked up by fire services nationwide over the next year or two. Even BikeSafe started talking about some of the issues four or five years ago - a complete change from the 'ride bright and be safe message' they were putting out ten years ago.

So if you already know the answers it shows the messages are getting across. So maybe there wasn't much you didn't know... but that is a GOOD thing, and now you know where to go if you want to dig deeper into the research and find out just why SOBS says what it does.

https://scienceofbeingseen.wordpress.com
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

You must be one of the very few riders who already knew to look out for the collision with the oncoming vehicle turning right, rather than focus exclusively on the one emerging from the left then. Few riders know about that one being the killer crash. It's still a shocker to most people.
Had to pull my best mate out from under an 18t sainsburys truck after just such a crash so pretty much etched on my mind I'm afraid, he pulled through but the police preserved the scene in case he hadn't done so 😕

Alot of the other stuff I've seen or read about over time, I was an active MAG member, taught cycle awareness at my kids school, cycled huge distances before I even got my first motorised bike at 18 and hate DRLs probably just as much as you.

The concept of Dazzle ships is over 100yrs old now, jesus even OMDs album of that name must be 40 odd years old now 😀
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Dickyboy wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:08 pm
The concept of Dazzle ships is over 100yrs old now, jesus even OMDs album of that name must be 40 odd years old now 😀
And yet 'tribal' pattern and 'urban cammo' bike gear still exists.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I remember some advice from the MCN about 1978, a year after my test.

It was summat like if your heading for an accident, jump off your bike.

Mick Grant said "if you stay on your bike, you might crash. If you jump off, you have crashed "

That advice saved my life, twice. Honestly.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:58 pm I remember some advice from the MCN about 1978, a year after my test.

It was summat like if your heading for an accident, jump off your bike.

Mick Grant said "if you stay on your bike, you might crash. If you jump off, you have crashed "

That advice saved my life, twice. Honestly.
There's a whole load of biking myths. One of the best is "I had to lay the bike down to avoid a crash".

As far as the 'jump' goes, it's your last chance after all else has either failed or you don't even have time to try.

For racing, isn't the mangled little finger supposed to be a common result from try to hold on, but still crashing?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Horse wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:22 pm

For racing, isn't the mangled little finger supposed to be a common result from try to hold on, but still crashing?
That's the "if i hold onto the bars i can get back on again"

On the subject of jumping off the best example i have ever seen apart from Vinales and his brake failure at the Reb Bull ring was a young British rider called Josh Wainwright in Bemsee when he first started in Superteen so was about 15 at the time and i was sector marshal in charge of the crew on corner at Druids.

Brands Hatch lap1 and he is in a full grid and unknown to him on a touch of bikes at Paddock his front brake lever is taken off. He arrives at Druids flat out on his RS125 and no brake so goes straight on :shock:

The gravel at druids is there to catch a bike or car that has gone wrong on turn in, not one that comes straight in at close to 80-90 mph so his bike skims straight over it towards the tyre wall.

I was stood behind the tyre wall as he came in so fast and then the bike smacked the tyre wall head on and i was convinced he was dead/serious injury but i then saw him in the air, fly over the tyre wall, cleared the banking and hit the mesh fencing above our heads behind us to stop car parts going into the crowd. He bounced back off the mesh, landed next to one of the other marshals who scooped him up in his arms and made sure he was ok.

Turns out Josh used to be a school boy gymnast and decided jumping off the footpegs upwards might save him an impact. Not a scratch on him but the bike was snapped in half and i went to the garage to check on him after racing. Was met by him, his brother, also racing and his dad. He was perfectly fine and pissed off the bike was a write off so couldnt ride the rst of the weekends races. Josh was still racing in the lower BSB support classes a year or 2 ago :thumbup:
Horse

Post by Horse »

When Threads Collide ...

In a demo video to show how effective airbags are, the stunt rider isn't waiting for impact, he's preparing to bail out.
20210711_083139.jpg
20210711_083139.jpg (113.07 KiB) Viewed 321 times