TPMS

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

TPMS

Post by KungFooBob »

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System.

Cars have had them for ages. Modern bikes also have them or they're a factory option.

An aftermarket solution made by Michelin caught my eye, but it's the best part of £80.

https://motorcyclepartswarehouse.co.uk/ ... E4QAvD_BwE

I had a google and spotted this, also from Michelin...

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/michelin-f ... lsrc=aw.ds

It's half the money, but made for cars... so would do two bikes instead of one. You don't get a 'screen' to monitor, but it looks like a nice easy way to check your tyres pressures.

I remember the stories about the LED valve caps being so heavy that they'd pull the valves out of the wheels at very high speed, but thses look much smaller.

Worthwhile investment, or pointless tat?
Mr. Dazzle

Re: TPMS

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

AFAIK the car systems are just based on wheel speed. When you're driving at steady speed in a straight line the wheels should all be spinning at the same speed, if they're not that's a good indication the tyres are going down. I've never been in a car which actually tells you a PSI on the dash? I've never looked into the bike systems but I kinda assumed they're the same.

I suppose what I'm saying is, I wouldn't bank on the fact that factory systems work as being proof this aftermarket stuff won't knacker something.

Also - how hard is it to check? What are you gonna do differently if they start going down while you're riding along anyway?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

If it did it via a Bluetooth app I'd like it more.

But yeah, I can get my head around it
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I know the ones on my BMW's and Mini's have used the wheel speed sensors.

My olds had a Dodge Calibre (don't hate me), that had them built into the valve stems.

They've been an option on the cast wheel Tiger 800's for years (but not the spoked ones).
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:40 pm I know the ones on my BMW's and Mini's have used the wheel speed sensors.

My olds had a Dodge Calibre (don't hate me), that had them built into the valve stems.

They've been an option on the cast wheel Tiger 800's for years (but not the spoked ones).
They're on plenty of KTM and Ducati too
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I just like the idea of the cheaper link I posted.

You hold the fob near the valve cap and it tells you the pressure. You obviously can't monitor it on the go, but it saves finding the gauge, taking the dust cap off, etc...
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

I actually had TPMS fitted to my 05’ ZX10R and it actually saved my ass during a Trackday !!! The display alerted me as I picked up a rear puncture and was able to stop back in the pits before it deflated.

When I sold the bike I had the system removed and its currently fitted to my 09 ZX10R.

I purchased system as it was new to the market back in 2005/2006 ish’ but the company no longer produces it or supports the product
https://www.smartire.com/motorcycles
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I could of had the 80 quid version free when I got my Road 5's fitted as Michelin were doing an offer but in the end decided to get the cash back instead. I seem to remember thinking I'd struggle to find somewhere decent for it to fit on the 690 and I think I also read someone saying theirs fell out of the magnetic cup which made me wonder how it's cope with the 690's vibes.

But it does seem a good idea.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Buy a decent pressure gauge instead? My gsa came with valve caps with built in pressure indicators - guess what was the cause of the slowly deflating rear tyre 🙄
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dickyboy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:00 am Buy a decent pressure gauge instead? My gsa came with valve caps with built in pressure indicators - guess what was the cause of the slowly deflating rear tyre 🙄
A puncture?