Is a cheapish K-series BMW a gamble?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bigjawa

Re: Is a cheapish K-series BMW a gamble?

Post by Bigjawa »

I've got one of the last K12R Sports and it's an utter pain in the hole.

The ABS pump packed in, that was £400 quid to get sorted, the finish quality would be familiar to owners of GS500E's, The clocks started fucking about to the extent the odometer was increasing by a mile a second even when stationary, the clutch is like an ancient CB900F and you need a second mortgage to keep the bastard in super unleaded.

But....

The thing is an absolute missile, the elecric suspension actually works well, it's a bit of a lump at low speed but scarily stable in ton plus corners, the fairing actually works and the brakes are like hitting a brick wall. Plus it's the most beautiful bike I have ever seen, I fell in love at first sight and bought it on the spot.

I hear the 13 is better, and doesn't have the bloody "3 seashells" indicator switches, but if you know someone who is clued up on them, they're a good bike.
"Does this bus go to the Titanic?"

"No missus, It's a submarine you need....."
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Bigjawa wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:18 pm I've got one of the last K12R Sports and it's an utter pain in the hole.

The ABS pump packed in, that was £400 quid to get sorted, the finish quality would be familiar to owners of GS500E's, The clocks started fucking about to the extent the odometer was increasing by a mile a second even when stationary, the clutch is like an ancient CB900F and you need a second mortgage to keep the bastard in super unleaded.

But....

The thing is an absolute missile, the elecric suspension actually works well, it's a bit of a lump at low speed but scarily stable in ton plus corners, the fairing actually works and the brakes are like hitting a brick wall. Plus it's the most beautiful bike I have ever seen, I fell in love at first sight and bought it on the spot.

I hear the 13 is better, and doesn't have the bloody "3 seashells" indicator switches, but if you know someone who is clued up on them, they're a good bike.
A proper owners perspective, thanks for the honest insight.

My biggest issue at the moment is the expense in fitting a topbox to one, not straightforward at all!
G.P

Post by G.P »

I've got a mate who's had a K1200s for about 3 years. It was sub £3k and had around 25k miles on it.
He uses it regularly and does some long distance commutes around UK on it. He rates it and hasn't had anything fail. He raves about the electronic suspension, power, weather protection. Oh, and Panniers came with it.....
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

G.P wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:43 pm I've got a mate who's had a K1200s for about 3 years. It was sub £3k and had around 25k miles on it.
He uses it regularly and does some long distance commutes around UK on it. He rates it and hasn't had anything fail. He raves about the electronic suspension, power, weather protection. Oh, and Panniers came with it.....
I love the idea of one, VFM they appear to be great with reasonable residuals.
Panniers aren't really ideal for my use as I park at the railway station everyday amongst scooterists and if I take up as much space as a car, they will revolt against me :lol: . A top box suits my purpose perfectly but unfortunately BMW don't cater for fitment on a budget by using a Givi kit etc.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I also looked at the K1300 when i was looking to bin my GS1150 and get something with more poke and speed but, like you, the lack of a hard luggage option put me off as i would be commuting on it and also had a trip to Norway planned for the following year.

I knew they were good power and fast and keeping the "funny" front suspension appealed as i was used to the lack of fork dive
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Skub

Post by Skub »

They don't appear to hold their price very well. Seems very cheap for 2009.

edit...ah,it's an auction. :roll:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Skub wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:59 pm

I think the horror stories put a load of people off, was talking to a guy who needs the ball joints on the funny front end replaced, he's been quoted over a grand.

Since I got my ABS pump sorted, I've learned that there's an identical pump motor fitted to a MK6 or7 Fiesta. I could have bought one from a breakers for £40.

Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Bigjawa wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:29 am
Skub wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:59 pm

I think the horror stories put a load of people off, was talking to a guy who needs the ball joints on the funny front end replaced, he's been quoted over a grand.

Since I got my ABS pump sorted, I've learned that there's an identical pump motor fitted to a MK6 or7 Fiesta. I could have bought one from a breakers for £40.

I had the ball joints replaced on mine by the 2nd most expensive BMW dealership in the UK* - iirc it was something like £300-ish, (more than that and I wouldn't have had them do it), your mate may have been quoted for a few other things as well at the same time? I think I remember arguing that it should be done under a general "It's supposed to last the lifetime of the bike, wtaf?" argument.

I think I got the cam-chain tensioner replaced under the same sort of argument. (that might be an official recall item - can't remember)

* Vines in Guildford - iirc Vines in Hyde Park are the only BMW place with higher labour rates.
non quod, sed quomodo
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

The ball joints had corroded into the big girder and the whole thing needed replaced or something like that. I remember thinking I'd have give it a go myself or taken it to a local engineering shop.

I have the black camchain tensioner, which I believe is the recall replacement.

Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Bigjawa wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:30 am The ball joints had corroded into the big girder and the whole thing needed replaced or something like that. I remember thinking I'd have give it a go myself or taken it to a local engineering shop.

I have the black camchain tensioner, which I believe is the recall replacement.
Yes - they apparently are a bugger to unscrew (very fine thread) and it's easy to damage the carrier - I can imagine that if it was badly corroded the shop wouldn't want to take the risk of replacing the carrier themselves and would factor that in. Can't really blame them for that - although BMW themselves could be better at the materials design stages.

The recall one includes a pre-tensioner so the cam-chain doesn't slap when the engine starts up from cold.
non quod, sed quomodo
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

It's the finish for what would have been a 12k bike back in the day that annoys me, but saying that, the bloody thing has got under my skin so I'd probably shell the grand out if mine needed it.