What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by ZRX61 »

Old biker movies on tv today.

Just wasted 90 minutes watching The Wild Angels. FFS what a bucket of bilge that was.

Now trying to get through the opening credits of The Peace Killers. :thumbdown:
Edit: This one has nekkid titties...
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Yesterday I happened to drive past the local Ford dealership & noticed the lot out front rather bereft of vehicles. Normally they would have 40+ F series trucks out there, there were two.
Odd methinks, must have been an epic sale on & they all went to new owners...

Today I see photos of the race track near one of the F Series plants & the place was buried in brand new F series... All awaiting the arrival of chips.

All China has to do to cripple the US is cut off the chip supply. Biden will most likely cave.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Just setting out to get my Step Mothers shopping today when the house phone rings. Took me a second or two to register the sound as no one uses the house phone?! Turns out its my deaf, elderly, next door neighbour but one, who asks I ring 999 and get him an ambulance. He's clearly not right so I ask him whats happened, but he doesn't reply. I set off to do some housebreaking...

A very long story short, he has Parkinsons disease and got stuck in the bath for half hour as he was too weak and shaky to get out, but finally manged to fall out of the bath and get to the phone. He cant dress himself properly and only has shorts on and is clearly fecking freezing. I get him dressed and report to the 999 services who note hes been in a bath for half hour and take on my concerns about him becoming hyperthermic (is that a word?) and will get an Ambo to him within 10 hours but it may be longer if they get a life and death call! :crazy: Rendezvous with Ambo crew 3 hours later and we agree he needs a visit from occupational therapy and social services.

Thought the old boy was slacking with his lawn cutting lately as I didnt relaise just how bad he'd got. Shit neighbour or what. I guess I just got another job cutting his front lawn. He can fooking pay someone to cut his overgrown wilderness of a back garden though as I don't have the time to tackle that. Might chance a community call on FB to see if any other locals will help though? Think i'll get a blue light on top of my car...
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Skub wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:11 pm No ride today,shitty weather stopped play,so spent some time cleaning in around the rear wheel. Gave it a good coat of ACF.

I'll be taking loose wheels for the next tyre change,by fook those boyos had the rear axle nut screaming tight,well beyond what's needed.

Who makes the hugger?
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

@Taipan , I used to mow and prune our old neighbours lawn and hedge, he was a cantankerous old coont but he was a good bloke with a load of good stories and I miss him. Be lawn mower man to an old dog.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Skub

Post by Skub »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:41 pm

Who makes the hugger?
A French outfit Moto Vision.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Went shopping... Grabbed what I needed... headed to check out. :thumbup:
Some fine young thing wearing daisy dukes with the kind of body that would make the Pope kick a nun walking ahead of me. :wave:
She heads to one check out, I head to the next :think:
Momentarily distracted. :banana-dance:
Turn into check out & crash the cart into a HUGE rack of cookies. :angry-cussingblack: Damn thing was about 3ft diameter & pushing 7ft tall. :angry-cussingblack: Made a surprisingly loud noise, like a piano falling down a mine shaft. :shock: If there wasn't a large cooler right behind it the whole lot would have crashed to the floor. :roll:
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Had a little accident on the way home tonight.

We were driving through a small town a few miles from home. Narrow street with parking up the other side. There was a line of cars and trucks coming the other way. They get to a row of parked cars and crowd me over to the kerb. The last one was a full size pick up (we were in my f250). BANG! They hit my mirror with theirs. Mine folded in. I get out and look - the back of it is smashed. The mirror itself is okay as far as being a mirror, but the damage to the front side means I need a new one.

Idiot boy that caused it has stopped a few yards away. He looked like he was going to carry on. I reverse up the street to his location with my hazards on. He gets out and comes across to me bitching about how far my mirror sticks out (it's OEM). I point out that he was the one who moved over the line and made contact. He then "informs" me that the parked cars on his side were in the way. Yeah, you need to stop and let oncoming traffic through then. He threatens to call his cop relative. "Go ahead!" We end up moving up the street to a spot where we're out of the way. I assume we're waiting for his cop brother in law. The next thing I know he takes off in the opposite direction from what I'm facing. No way I can wheel around to chase him. I jump out and note his tag number and then call the cops. I've got an accident report and tomorrow I'm contacting an LEO that I know and see if he can find out who the fucker is.
David

Post by David »

I parked briefly (illegally) part on the pavement in a narrow street in Aberystwyth on friday and heard a crunch while heading back....a sall hatchback had taken my n/s mirror off completely. She stopped a little down the road and I spoke withthe very polite lady who gave me a phone number and happily paid me £65 for a second hand mirror.
They do things a little differently in Wales....

Good luck Bwana...hope you find your scrote
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just been up to paint the new bit of the pergola roof. Been waiting for a cloudy day so don't get burned.
Soon as I started the clouds went :(

It was hot and the white paint reflecting the sun.

But Yorick's law of working says, the hotter the day, the better the cold beer tastes.
20210706_162647.jpg
20210706_162647.jpg (962.48 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Skub

Post by Skub »

Today I wanted to get everything done early so I could escape on the bike for a while. I had my covid test,sat and yarned with my Da for a while,then headed home.

Then I took a call from sister in law asking for help (I do it) to build a load of garden furniture. I'll be around,I sez. Took a couple of hours,but the job's done.

Now it's raining. :(

Maybe tomorrow. :silent:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Skub wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:33 pm Today I wanted to get everything done early so I could escape on the bike for a while. I had my covid test,sat and yarned with my Da for a while,then headed home.

Then I took a call from sister in law asking for help (I do it) to build a load of garden furniture. I'll be around,I sez. Took a couple of hours,but the job's done.

Good man. Being nice is something that costs more than some know. But you did the right thing
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

@Taipan the world needs more neighbours like you. I've been out visiting an elderly couple and stayed with them for a couple of hours. Their daughter also came by and we chatted about her grandchildren. Turns out two of them are severely autistic and so I ended up saying a simple prayer for her family and her parents. We do what we can where we can with grace and courtesy. Wife is still waiting for results of her blood test and surgery date, so we bought a "something nice" to eat with our coffee.

Daughter came home early from school, shortened day today, and then tells me what a shit time she is having with a friend who is now identifying as a boy and causing their small group a lot of stress in manipulative behaviour. Just had to be a daddy and listen and be glad that she wants to talk to me and trusts me to just be daddy. Life is complicated sometimes, but listening helps.

Stay well and safe people and remember to talk to your friends if you are feeling down.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Had a walk on a beach and drunk too much tea and eaten too much cake loitering for when a mate is discharged from hospital. And found out it's going tomorrow now for trivial reasons, so that'll be another night away from home.

Could be worse, it could be raining. And I'm not the one in hospital.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Something I don't have to do very often, thankfully, which is to rip my lot at work a new arsehole.

When you've told people what to do, demonstrated the reasons for having to do it and given them the tools by which to do it, and they don't, leaving you with egg on your face and a small issue of Eur 256,000,000 to deal with, I get bloody annoyed.

They're old enough and ugly enough to know better. FFS.

Rant over.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I learnt to swim this morning!! :lol:

Ok, I learnt to swim crawl properly this morning

I reckon the last swimming lesson I had was around 40 years ago! I can swim but tend not to - obviously, with a duff shoulder, swimming is a really good activity to help. So I've been trying. I can swim breaststroke and backstroke pretty well. (Have decided that goggles will make the former easier as I can't do more than a few lengths of not putting my face in the water without it hurting my neck and into my shoulders - will head to decathlon on Friday! I don't mind putting my face in the water but the chemicals make it a little weird - tired eyes!). I even used to swim butterfly pretty well as a kid

But crawl was always a challenge because I never learnt how to do the breathing and get it right. Possibly a daft time to try to learn the breathing and relearn how to do crawl with a feeble shoulder. BUT, the physio has chatted with the pool guy and explained some of the stuff I can and can't do and asked him to help - also told me to ask him to help, which I did last week!!!

Pool guy watched me swim today - I have already tried to manage the two strokes I can do by trying to match my good arm to what my bad arm can do rather than the other way around, and that has made things feel a bit better. But when Ben saw me try to do crawl, he started giving me suggestions.

So - today I did four lengths (25m pool) using a foam thingy (they call it a frite - like a floaty bendy bar) I learnt to take my time, breathe every 2 or 4 strokes - always on the left - each stroke only starts when the last stroke finishes with the hand back on the foam thingy. He ended up giving me some mini pattes, like flippers for diving but shorter, to help get me to use my legs better as well!!

I tried to explain that that was the first time EVER I'd swum crawl without stopping to cough up pool water!! LOL Don't think I phrased it well, or maybe he thought I didn't say it right - cos of course, everyone can swim!! LOL

I told the physio this afternoon that I did four lengths of crawl and he was really happy - when I explained that it was the first time EVER, he was so surprised, and even more happy for me!! :D :D

I've also worked out that I swim 250m - 350m each time I go. Pretty chuffed with that too! Especially as in between each length I'm doing physio for my arm/shoulder or knees! LOL I work pretty hard for the 30 ish mins I'm there!! Just need the sun to come out more so I can spend some time getting a tan after all that effort!! LOL

Then I went to Albertville to see an ENT person about the tinnitus. I'm getting a bit peeved with the French Shrug when it comes to health stuff!! LOL

But at least I know that my hearing is better than 6 weeks after the head injury and there is nothing physical that she can see (without a scan) to cause the tinnitus. So, I must have damaged something minute when I attacked the road with my head - at least it is minimal, in comparison to most people I've spoken to. She did say a few times that "its a vicious circle, if you concentrate on it, it feels as if it gets worse". I did say that I don't. I'm aware of it but I really don't concentrate on it. I'm usually ignoring it at home alone when it suddenly makes hearing the TV difficult, so how am I initiating that :roll: :roll: But hey - at least she didn't find anything awful!! LOL

Been persuaded to meet some friends at a bar in the next village down for the football. They reckon it will be more interesting that the last match!! LOL Hope so. But I'm going to change villages halfway as some friends' bar is open tonight too and I can chat with them after - and still get the last bus home!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MingtheMerciless

Skub wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:33 pm Today I wanted to get everything done early so I could escape on the bike for a while. I had my covid test,sat and yarned with my Da for a while,then headed home.

No good deed goes unpunished.😂
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Fed the squirrels, checked the car tire I pulled half a Stanley knife blade out of yesterday. It's still round & holding air.
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

Carried on prepping the 14 for sale, prepped tyres to go on OH’s bike tomorrow with the Rabaconda, made dinner.
Tomorrow will be the same only fitting tyres.
Another 3wks before surgeon to know if plate is static and maybe being allowed to drive.
Only bonus is I can count a lot of the bike cleaning as physio
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Drove to London with the missus. Checked into hotel near Marble Arch and off for a wander about. It’s weird still as very few people about even on Oxford Street and shops are empty. Bond Street with all the top line designer places was like a ghost town as no foreign big money visitors

Quite pleasant actually and off for lunch at the Ritz tomorrow as it’s the wife’s birthday and hopefully meet up with @formula400 if he isn’t too busy 👍🏻
Last edited by Bigyin on Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.