I "learned" from others as i went along
5%
I dont need no steenkin coach, i am a riding god
7%

Total votes: 41

Potter

Re: How many of you have had professional coaching to improve your road riding

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:25 am I do think I could improve my lines...
I doubt it, especially since you seem to have quite a high awareness of the road conditions and where the best place to put your tyres.

And even if you did get some slight improvement, would you enjoy it more?
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Potter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:21 am The reason I don't buy into most of this advanced training is that you can't just slide experience into someone's brain
How do you think an airline pilot learns to fly? Do you think they say "take that Airbus up and stooge around till you're happy to carry some paying passengers"?

That was pretty much how it worked in 1940, but the airline industry has moved on a bit since then.

One of the constant comments post-training is "I hear your voice in my head as I ride"... so it would seem you CAN slide some experience into someone's brain.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Potter

Post by Potter »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:41 am
How do you think an airline pilot learns to fly?
With 1,500hrs of practice before he's signed off.
Which is what I said.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:47 am
Which is what I said.

How much practice with an instructor or accompanied by a training captain, how much in a simulator? How much learning from manuals, how much learning the checklists? Presumably you know to make that statement?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:00 am
How much practice with an instructor or accompanied by a training captain, how much in a simulator? How much learning from manuals, how much learning the checklists? Presumably you know to make that statement?
Dunno, I googled it, ask spin, he's the one that bought it in as an argument against my assertion that it takes thousands of hours to train humans to do certain things.

How much would you charge for 1,500hrs training?
The Spin Doctor

Potter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:47 am
Which is what I said.
But HOW is he gaining that practice? As I said, he's not simply handed a multi-million pound plane and told "take it up yourself and find out what it'll do", is he or she?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Potter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:17 am Dunno, I googled it, ask spin, he's the one that bought it in as an argument against my assertion that it takes thousands of hours to train humans to do certain things.
No, I introduced pilot training because you said "you can't just slide experience into someone's brain".

Quite clearly, training allows you to do just that. But the more complex, the task, the longer the training procedure.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:24 am
Potter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:17 am Dunno, I googled it, ask spin, he's the one that bought it in as an argument against my assertion that it takes thousands of hours to train humans to do certain things.
No, I introduced pilot training because you said "you can't just slide experience into someone's brain".

Quite clearly, training allows you to do just that. But the more complex, the task, the longer the training procedure.
Don't be daft. You learn to fly those things by osmosis, or following your mate as he flies another plane :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:18 am
But HOW is he gaining that practice? As I said, he's not simply handed a multi-million pound plane and told "take it up yourself and find out what it'll do", is he or she?
You're not allowed to do it alone because of the financial and legal implications of them crashing it.
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:18 am No, I introduced pilot training because you said "you can't just slide experience into someone's brain".

If you could just slide the experience in then you wouldn't need 1,500hrs of training/experience.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:28 am
Don't be daft. You learn to fly those things by osmosis, or following your mate as he flies another plane :D
Oh, I didn't realise that when you teach people motorcycle skills you both travel on the same bike.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Over here the instructor is in a car following the bike :o :o :o
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Noggin wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:33 am Over here the instructor is in a car following the bike :o :o :o
That's obviously wrong because Horse and his mate say that you can't teach someone to fly an aeroplane by following them in another one.

In other surprising news, I was taught to ride a horse by a lady that never shared the same horse I was on, sometimes she even rode alongside on another horse!

How about that!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:30 am
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:18 am No, I introduced pilot training because you said "you can't just slide experience into someone's brain".

If you could just slide the experience in then you wouldn't need 1,500hrs of training/experience.
Doesn't that depend on how much 'experience' there is, how quickly it can be slid and how thorough the checks are afterwards to ensure it's been delivered?

Change a battery in a torch: moments. Change the battery in your van: longer. Change the batteries in a Tesla?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:37 am
Noggin wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:33 am Over here the instructor is in a car following the bike :o :o :o
That's obviously wrong because Horse and his mate say that you can't teach someone to fly an aeroplane by following them in another one.
Oh dear, struck a nerve? :D How often is that a pilot training technique?

Actually, i could hive you an example of jet pilots being coached by someone following in a car, if you'd like?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:37 am

In other surprising news, I was taught to ride a horse by a lady that never shared the same horse I was on, sometimes she even rode alongside on another horse!

How about that!
I taught someone to get his knee down, but never done it myself. (And it wasn't by simply saying 'ride faster').

So come on, tell us more about this pilot training undertaken from another aircraft. Surely, if it's so commonplace, the first solo flight wouldn't be such a big deal?
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:44 am
Actually, i could hive you an example of jet pilots being coached by someone following in a car, if you'd like?
Struck a nerve? I'm sitting here laughing at you, you're both so desperate to sell your magical motorbike courses that you're plucking at straws and arguing about jet fighters and cars :lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:47 am
So come on, tell us more about this pilot training undertaken from another aircraft. Surely, if it's so commonplace, the first solo flight wouldn't be such a big deal?
No, I'd prefer to hear about why you're using this example of not being able to teach a man to fly a plane by following him in another one, as a pivotal point in your argument to sell me your particular brand of biking voodoo :lol:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:50 am
Horse wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:44 am
Struck a nerve? I'm sitting here laughing at you, you're both so desperate to sell your magical motorbike courses that you're plucking at straws and arguing about jet fighters and cars :lol:
See, we told you rider training wasn't always boring.

But you're stuck on your remote-controlled high horse :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:52 am
Horse wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:47 am
No, I'd prefer to hear about why you're using this example of not being able to teach a man to fly a plane by following him in another one, as a pivotal point in your argument to sell me your particular brand of biking voodoo :lol:
I'm not selling anything. Where did you get that idea?
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:53 am
I'm not selling anything. Where did you get that idea?

I think the other fella takes money for doing it, I gather you're retired from it but you're still selling the idea, no?

I'm still interested in the plane thing though, how does it relate?