GPZ900R

Anything you like about motorbikes
Potter

GPZ900R

Post by Potter »

One of those bikes that I had pictures of as a kid but for some reason I keep forgetting about them, until a nice picture pops up somewhere and then I really want one.

The closest I came was a GPZ500 and a go on my mates GPZ600R - both of which would now be considered tourer or commuters with a sensible sit-up-and-beg riding position.

In 1989 I was picking my bike up from the Kawasaki shop and a bloke was picking his band new 900R up, he had a quick go around the block then came back to let the shop man know everything was alright before he went off. His expression was one of amazement and he said it was "something else" - I didn't see what he rode in on, but he liked the 900R very much.

Is the 900R worth a punt?
chillitt

Re: GPZ900R

Post by chillitt »

Yes.
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

I had one around the time of Gsxr , FZ 750's and compared to those it was a big heavy lump.
It was something special when it was released but bikes moved on quite quickly around that time.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yeah,I like them. (no surprise!)

I had an A2 before my ZZRs.

The early models had loads of recalls for mods to CCT and bigger diameter oil pipes to the cams. Any bikes still running well will have those mods done by now.

It's worth dropping the sump to check the oil pump pickup. It's a gauze filter which can become clogged and then starves the engine of oil,usually at high speed/revs. I checked mine and I don't know how it was getting oil at all.

I has a BMW R90S before the GPZ and the Kawasaki felt like a rocketship in comparison,but there was 20 years between and things move on.Things have moved on again since then too. I knew that old thing inside out.

This was mine,I think they still look cool.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I knew someone (nickname Scrunt) who bought one of the first ones with some money he inherited, he was 18 or 19, so the rest of us were all proper impressed. He got deported from the Isle of Man for doinb 143 in a 30 on it, it shalt itself big style and Kawasaki UK rebuilt the engine under warranty. Last time I saw it in about 1988 it looked a wreck, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still got it.
Honda Owner
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

I've learnt to my cost that rose tinted specs are quite wallet crunching.
I bought a GS1000, whilst a nice bike to ride was a right lump.
Bought a Katana pop up...........again another great lump of a bike.
Rode several 9s, the 16 and 17 front wheels. Compared to the NS400 i had at the time, they were weighty leviathons.
In my fantasy garage, yes.
As classic 2nd bike, not old enough to be classic, not new enough to be a decent ride iyswim!
One of the last blunt instruments.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

If you can find a tidy one at a good price it's an investment.
Back in the day it was the rocket ship of the age and the fastest thing on two wheels and how I wanted one. Now it would have fractionally less power and torque as my old KTM 990 SMT but with more weight. Such is the passage of time.. Still a thoroughly competent bike though and pretty bomb-proof. A properly usable modern classic.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I really don't get this old bike shit. If they were any good, they'd still be made.
Would you buy a 20 year old telly or washing machine?
They belong in history.
In 20 years, the hipster kids will be fauning over the current bikes.
Last edited by Yorick on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:01 pm I really don't get this old bike shit. If they were any good, they'd still be made.
Would you buy a 20 year old telly or washing machine?
They belong in history.
In 20 years, the hipster kids will be fauning over the current bikes.
It's only 2 or 3 years till the first 900Rs are 40 years old and officially historic vehicles. :mrgreen: I might have mine back on the road by then..
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Both my gen 1 1290 Superduke and my 2010 Ducati Streetfighter are thoroughly old hat next to the latest bikes because of the pace of the electronics arms race. And that's precisely why I like them and don't want to part with them. Both are seriously potent but far simpler than the very latest bikes. The Ducati is as old school as you can get with no electronic aides at all and the Superduke still has a key to switch it on and open the petrol tank.
Regardless of their age, rider's bikes that were designed to be ridden should be ridden. Good bikes belong on the road not in museums.
A good GPz 900R is most definitely not past it and will still kick arse with the right rider on board.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Gimlet wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:55 pm Both my gen 1 1290 Superduke and my 2010 Ducati Streetfighter are thoroughly old hat next to the latest bikes because of the pace of the electronics arms race. And that's precisely why I like them and don't want to part with them. Both are seriously potent but far simpler than the very latest bikes. The Ducati is as old school as you can get with no electronic aides at all and the Superduke still has a key to switch it on and open the petrol tank.
Regardless of their age, rider's bikes that were designed to be ridden should be ridden. Good bikes belong on the road not in museums.
A good GPz 900R is most definitely not past it and will still kick arse with the right rider on board.
Sorry. No it won't. I saw many folk on trackdays with similar old tat, who had their false dreams blown away.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I dunno, I've done 120 miles today on a 48bhp air cooled twin and really enjoyed it, would I have enjoyed it more on a £15k brand new Superbike?

Maybe?

Would I have enjoyed it £10k more?

Probably not.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Gimlet wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:55 pm Both my gen 1 1290 Superduke and my 2010 Ducati Streetfighter are thoroughly old hat next to the latest bikes because of the pace of the electronics arms race. And that's precisely why I like them and don't want to part with them. Both are seriously potent but far simpler than the very latest bikes. The Ducati is as old school as you can get with no electronic aides at all and the Superduke still has a key to switch it on and open the petrol tank.
The only difference in your 1290 and the latest is the software, it’s no more or less reliable than the new ones. Almost the same with your 1098 bar a front wheel speed sensor.
Always like the gpz900r but an SV650 will destroy it on track never mind a modern sportsbike 👍
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Best mate had an early one, PXd a Z900 for a brand new one. Came past me on my first Le Mans when I was doing an indicated 90 without exceeding the running in revs. Dropped his brother off the back at speed when he hit a bump while accelerating hard and the front end came up. Got nicked from Carnaby racetrack, they were very popular for proddy racing :hmmm:
He bought a Yamaha Tenere with the insurance money, Went to St. Tropez on it and it got nicked within an hour of him arriving there complete with all his luggage and helmet, leaving only the tax disk.
Hitch hiked home, having bought a GPA strappless helmet, got home borrowed some money and got a Honda NS400 and finished his holiday in Devon with some other mates.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I didnt have the 900 but had the 750R like what Cruise rode in Top Gun but in blue same as this one ;)

My mate used to have an original GPz750 aircooled which was a bit of a beast to ride back in the day and when the newer liquid cooled 750, 900 and 750 Turbo versions came out they were a leap up.

I loved my GPz750R, bought second hand about 2002 and took it across to France a couple of times but sadly the gearbox shat itself and on a bike worth less than a grand at the time i sold the remains to a local breaker. Again its a bike i would have liked to still have but hey ho.

The GPz750 Turbo was the only bike i have almost flipped on a wheelie on a public road as i was used to bikes of much lower power and cracked the throttle open in first ....... shiiiiite. Back brake saved me as it almost went over :o
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Old bikes deserve in the past. Unless it's in your dreams.

If a 20 year old bike is so fucking good, then a 40 year old bike must be double as good.

Shall I go on ?

In 20 years time, folk won't regard the 80s and 90s machines, coz they'll be scrap.

They'll be wanking about bikes like my new GSXR :)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Again its a reminder of our younger years and what we did on them..... its not about them being better. We all know the older ones were crap but i wouldnt want all of my older bikes.

My Multistrada 1200GT knocks every single bike i have ever owned into a cocked hat. Its just better all the way as an all rounder apart from maybe top speed from my Zx636B1H

The hankering for older bikes is more for the memories. I would like to have had my RD250LC with its 350 front end and race tune. It was a pain to ride as the power band was so tight but it was also a hoot and the only proper 2T bike i ever owned. The GPz was the first big bike i had owned in years after shitty commuter 250 and 400's just to get to work and back. The GPz took me across to Europe and made many happy memories and got me back into proper biking

You can keep the rest including all the courier bikes :)
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Couchy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:16 pm Always like the gpz900r but an SV650 will destroy it on track never mind a modern sportsbike 👍
TBF, I never meant to imply that a 25 year old GPz would be competitive on a modern track day which is plainly ridiculous, only that it could still be a usable and fun bike and no slouch on the road in the right hands.

For the record, I don't want one and I wouldn't buy one, but I don't believe everything should be scrapped the moment it becomes old and I certainly wouldn't look down my nose at someone else who gets their kicks on an old bike just because it's not as fast as what I'm riding.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

If old bikes are so crap, how am I passing modern bikes with 3 times the bhp of my FZR400 on track?
Honda Owner
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Modern riders are crap.