Tyre wear...

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Tyre wear...

Post by weeksy »

Gimlet wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:14 pm 29 psi sounds very low to me. On most bikes the manufacturers recommendation for all the Pilot series is 42. And the kind of stepping could well be an under-inflation issue.. I don't believe it could be caused by over-inflation.
Try upping the pressure 1 psi at a time.
As he says, that's what KTM say so that's what i go with. I assume it's weight related, don't forget, this is 40-50kg lighter than some that will have the same rubber fitted. I've tried higher pressures at times on it, but they don't feel as nice.

But then again, i very rarely run a tyre to 2000 miles, let alone 4000, by the time i hit 2000 it's getting squared in the middle and for me, that's it, it's done. I don't care about the fact it can run to 5000 before being dead, i ride bikes for pleasure and having a tyre that's less than round is not nice.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:57 am But then again, i very rarely run a tyre to 2000 miles, let alone 4000, by the time i hit 2000 it's getting squared in the middle and for me, that's it, it's done. I don't care about the fact it can run to 5000 before being dead, i ride bikes for pleasure and having a tyre that's less than round is not nice.
I reckon if you ran a PR4 rather than S22 you'd get 4k at least with it still being round. The M7 squared in about 3-3.5k, the PR was good until just over 5.5k and I reckon other than at track you'd not have grip issues. Even then I think it'd get 'greasy' as opposed to real grip issues on a 70bhp bike.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:11 am
weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:57 am But then again, i very rarely run a tyre to 2000 miles, let alone 4000, by the time i hit 2000 it's getting squared in the middle and for me, that's it, it's done. I don't care about the fact it can run to 5000 before being dead, i ride bikes for pleasure and having a tyre that's less than round is not nice.
I reckon if you ran a PR4 rather than S22 you'd get 4k at least with it still being round. The M7 squared in about 3-3.5k, the PR was good until just over 5.5k and I reckon other than at track you'd not have grip issues. Even then I think it'd get 'greasy' as opposed to real grip issues on a 70bhp bike.
Without being harsh, my acceptable and yours are likely very different. I've got 1200 miles on my M7RRs and after Donington on Monday i expect they'll be coming off and replaced. I just don't like tyres that squirm on overbanding or track lines in the road etc. Properly round tyres don't do that, tyres with a couple of thousand on, do.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Just ordered some gpr300 for the bike, €135 delivered.
Lets see how they fare
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:14 am Without being harsh, my acceptable and yours are likely very different. I've got 1200 miles on my M7RRs and after Donington on Monday i expect they'll be coming off and replaced. I just don't like tyres that squirm on overbanding or track lines in the road etc. Properly round tyres don't do that, tyres with a couple of thousand on, do.
I'd bin all road tyres on all my bikes after 2000 miles regardless if I could afford to. Even if they're still gripping and not squirming and have no shoulders, once the profile flattens the steering slows down and gets heavier. On the road though, given the miles I do I'd either have to bankrupt myself or seriously curtail my riding, neither of which is an option.

That's on the road though, where you ride for a variety of reasons. The track is a different matter. You're not counting the miles or doing it for the fresh air or the scenery. It's purely and simply about the quality of the riding, not the quantity. I'd be the same as you. I'd replace track tyres at whatever point they stopped delivery at the level I wanted and if that was 1000 miles, so be it. I'd rather do fewer, better track days than waste my entry money coasting round frustrated by under-performing tyres.