I "learned" from others as i went along
5%
I dont need no steenkin coach, i am a riding god
7%

Total votes: 41

The Spin Doctor

Re: How many of you have had professional coaching to improve your road riding

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Hairybiker84 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:58 am I'm quite surprised with the negative attitude to the IAM etc..
You'd probably be surprised just how many riders turn away from the IAM after negative experiences. I regularly pick them up on training courses after they "tried the IAM but didn't get on with them".
a lot of people that need to get the right attitude into their heads before they engage in any form of training, if you think someone is coming across as 'knowing it all' you've definitely got the wrong one!
Yes, I agree an open mind is necessary to approach training...

... but the same applies to the coach. Too often, the response to a question is "because it's in the book / that's the way we've always done it / you won't pass the test unless...", none of which are constructive. And I've been having this debate with the IAM on the same topics for almost 30 years now.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:02 am
Horse wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:56 amIronically, when we set up Blue Riband (as mentioned earlier) it was a deliberate action to not call it an 'advanced' course. Trouble was, that was what potential punters looked for.

Later, I advertised one day 'coaching' sessions, to problem solve. Never had a single enquiry.
Ditto... I originally called my courses 'extended training' to make the point that they carried on where DAS left off.

Tumbleweed...
At the school I work with one of the instructors was on the advanced register for a few years to provide post DAS training. They had 2 or 3 enquiries over that period so didn’t bother paying for the entry the following year.

We now only teach CBT up to DAS with a course for riders return to bikes after a long lay off
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

It's interesting, on track instruction is probably easier to sell than on road as it's seen as cool to go faster. I'm not sure how I could be sold on road instruction other than to make me safer which is what we all want but it just doesn't sound as good. But I'm not the person to be asking, the person that needs help the most is probably the person least likely to ask as it's seen as uncool, I've no idea how you get to those people but wish those that do it for a living good luck :)
The Spin Doctor

Bigyin wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:43 am At the school I work with one of the instructors was on the advanced register for a few years to provide post DAS training. They had 2 or 3 enquiries over that period so didn’t bother paying for the entry the following year.

We now only teach CBT up to DAS with a course for riders return to bikes after a long lay off
I had both grandfather rights onto the RPMT (I had evidence I'd been running post test training) and also qualified as a DAS instructor - frustratingly my post-test training BTEC wasn't seen as a suitable qualification.

I was close to parting with a large wodge of cash to join, but waited till some of the other post-test trainers began giving feedback about how much work they were getting from the ERS. Not much, was the answer. I held onto my cash.

The DVSA have done a big relaunch job in the last couple of years. I'm not sure it's sold to many more riders even so, but of course what it has achieved is flooded the market with 'advanced' riding courses.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:51 am
Bigyin wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:43 am At the school I work with one of the instructors was on the advanced register for a few years to provide post DAS training. They had 2 or 3 enquiries over that period so didn’t bother paying for the entry the following year.

I had both grandfather rights onto the RPMT (I had evidence I'd been running post test training) and also qualified as a DAS instructor - frustratingly my post-test training BTEC wasn't seen as a suitable qualification.

I was close to parting with a large wodge of cash to join, but waited till some of the other post-test trainers began giving feedback about how much work they were getting from the ERS. Not much, was the answer. I held onto my cash.

The DVSA have done a big relaunch job in the last couple of years. I'm not sure it's sold to many more riders even so, but of course what it has achieved is flooded the market with 'advanced' riding courses.
I am aware of the relaunch but we (my colleagues) have not yet taken it up as the cost doesn’t seem to bring in any more revenue to the school but the regional DVSA supervisor is due for a visit soon so will speak to him about it then

I also noted the irony of my insurance costs that being a DVSA qualified instructor makes no reduction but IAM and Rospa , who have no instructor credentials, gets a discount
The Spin Doctor

Bigyin wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:57 am I also noted the irony of my insurance costs that being a DVSA qualified instructor makes no reduction but IAM and Rospa , who have no instructor credentials, gets a discount
My insurance is loaded - "instructors ride more".
Horse

Post by Horse »

Couchy wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:44 am I'm not sure how I could be sold on road instruction other than to make me safer which is what we all want but it just doesn't sound as good.
One of my training mentors said "Find the compromise between scared and bored".

There's been a massive change in the car world. Years ago, only Volvo sold on safety. Now, though, not having Ncap 5* is a major sales handicap.

But riders often want the thrill. As part of that, I suppose there's a need to suspend reality. But unlike watching a film, there's no pause and rewind.

Perhaps the best answer I can give (over and above those 'easier' examples that I gave) is that you might get to ride for longer.

Potter made the point that he's fast and not dead. Do I need to state the obvious flaw in that? ;)

No-one (well, a rare few) actually rides completely oblivious to the environment. They wouldn't survive the first bend if they did. So, somewhere buried in even the berserkly fast riders' minds, there's a bit that says "Whoa!". As Spin said, perhaps the difference is just a self-imposed dose of realism calibration about where it could go wrong, then GLF everywhere else?

One other point: when out training, I stuck to speed limits, etc. Just because a trainee might want to risk their licence, didn't mean that I had to. Also, on one occasion I had a trainee (with an undisclosed health problem) bin a bike. The driver of the car that had been following us stopped specifically to tell police that we had (until then) been riding sensibly and keeping to speed limits.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:09 pm

One other point: when out training, I stuck to speed limits, etc. Just because a trainee might want to risk their licence, didn't mean that I had to. Also, on one occasion I had a trainee (with an undisclosed health problem) bin a bike. The driver of the car that had been following us stopped specifically to tell police that we had (until then) been riding sensibly and keeping to speed limits.
yeah errrrrr, i'm out ! :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:15 pm
Horse wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:09 pm

yeah errrrrr, i'm out ! :)
Some of the roads I use limit you far more than a number on a stick ever could.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/DwmN18

https://earth.app.goo.gl/aKpdvY

The first was the site of a rider fatality. Half an hour or so from you. It's like the Gooseneck with trees and oncoming vehicles.
The Spin Doctor

Google Earth never works for me.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:52 pm Google Earth never works for me.
Don't fret, I struggle with the real world.
Horse

Post by Horse »

20210702_132401.jpg
20210702_132401.jpg (403.46 KiB) Viewed 553 times
20210702_132415.jpg
20210702_132415.jpg (421 KiB) Viewed 553 times
The second was on a test route. Within half a mile the rider goes from motorway to single lane and high hedges.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:26 pm
20210702_132415.jpg

The second was on a test route. Within half a mile the rider goes from motorway to single lane and high hedges.
That's 90% of the roads i ride locally there :D

It's amazing i don't have a 690SMCR
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

When I was instructing, I had the whole range of ability, but could be snipped to 3 groups.

Older folk doing their first trackday and had me booked for the whole day. Usually birthday prezzy etc. My job was to cajole/chaperone/protect/entertain etc. At 5:00 I always told the wife/family/friends what a great rider he was. He could then milk this for ages to top off the birthday treat ;)

Then the usual TD riders who couldn't understand racing lines. With the help of my circuit diagrams, I was able to help them to go faster and safer.

Then the racers who were at the track the coming weekend. These were sometimes hard work, but often fun. I was usually volunteered as I was usually the quickest instructor on the day. Sometimes it was their first time there, or just wanted to nail one corner (usually Cadwell). Some just shot off and tried to impress me. They learned nowt. The clever ones watched and listened. I did enjoy really pushing to almost racing speed ;)

Also the Muppets who just wanted to get their knee down. I just said "Go faster".. CBA taking them out.
Last edited by Yorick on Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:28 pm
20210702_132415.jpg

That's 90% of the roads i ride locally there :D

It's amazing i don't have a 690SMCR
If you break the speed limit on roads like that, it's amazing you haven't encountered a tractor or local boy racer ;)

Realistically, 'advanced' riding skills (as trained, 'lines' etc) makes no difference in that particular section.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:34 pm

If you break the speed limit on roads like that, it's amazing you haven't encountered a tractor or local boy racer ;)
I've had a few moments :)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:31 pm help them to go faster and safer.

These were sometimes hard work,
The two situations that I enjoyed the most: where you could see improvement (along with their enjoyment and understanding) and where I had to put more thought and effort in (sometimes to a challenge of "why?").
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Tbh I did try to get instruction on a Trackday, I told them I only wanted to get my knee down and they told me to piss off in some weird norvern accent 🤣
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

20210702_132415.jpg

That was the roads to the pub I went to last night, but with added gravel down the middle.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:27 pm
20210702_132415.jpg

That was the roads to the pub I went to last night, but with added gravel down the middle.
You went to my local ? You should have come say hello :)