I "learned" from others as i went along
5%
I dont need no steenkin coach, i am a riding god
7%

Total votes: 41

r1flyguy

Re: How many of you have had professional coaching to improve your road riding

Post by r1flyguy »

I'm reading these posts with the overwhelming and obvious thoughts that, "It's just not for everyone" Simple

You can lead a horse to water and all that.....

I did the RosPa course initially purely for my own personal safety, I was in my very early 20's at the time so I think it showed a bit of self preservation.

Some people are just naturally gifted at things they do others not so much. One of the silly reasons I want to do a 'Wheelie School', not to be an idiot on the road, moreso that I can finally feel what the balance point is on 1 wheel. Im not sure I would even be any good at it but I'm willing to try but i digress...

I do know from a personal standpoint that the advanced driving and motorcycle courses have stood me in good stead for my everyday riding and driving and I feel quite privileged to have done them. I try to maintain and adopt those standards to a degree up until they are not working for me then I integrate other skills I have learnt and combine them.

I'm pretty happy with 'my' abilities and I would happily ride with anyone but in the end, I would still ride my own ride as that's where i'm most happy and having fun.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Demannu wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:20 pm 2 of our 3 AR crew are ex plod. 1 was an SIO trafpol and the other was surveillance.
Both are top drawer riders and offer advice and opinion on your riding abilities and dont pull their punches if they think you deserve a bollocking!
As I have said before, their rideouts are a lot brisker than UK based IAM stuff, but always 100% safe.
If most of your riding is on road, why wouldnt you want to make yourself safer/faster/smoother
Do you think they/one of them might be willing to ride out at a slightly slower pace when I'm back on 2 wheels?? :)

Yorick wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:59 pm My instructing was fun. They could already ride.
I just showed them how to have fun on track.

But I did show many how to brake properly.
That's what I love about track instruction. I'm already having fun. I know how to ride and can get round a track reasonably quickly. But every time I get track instruction (at least once every track day) I learn more, get more confidence and have more fun

Equally, I found that with riding with my two riding buddies (separately!) - they knew so much about bikes and riding on both road and track that on the road, just on a rideout, I found I learnt things every time :D

I LOVE learning - and when it increases my ability or confidence (or both) I appreciate it a lot!

But it isn't for everyone - in the way that track days aren't for everyone. Personally I think everyone would benefit from a TD, if only to see how much you can do with the bike (in a limited way in novice!) without the risk of road furniture or oncoming traffic - but it isn't for everyone
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:38 pmPersonally I think everyone would benefit from a TD, if only to see how much you can do with the bike (in a limited way in novice!) without the risk of road furniture or oncoming traffic - but it isn't for everyone
But how much more would they gain from a session on the track with a riding coach to help them "see how much they can do"? ;)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:03 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:38 pmPersonally I think everyone would benefit from a TD, if only to see how much you can do with the bike (in a limited way in novice!) without the risk of road furniture or oncoming traffic - but it isn't for everyone
But how much more would they gain from a session on the track with a riding coach to help them "see how much they can do"? ;)
Can the coach keep up?

Track tuition is a hard one to quantify too, I've had it, both CSS and another, I went faster when Couch called me names and told me to follow him faster or give up and sell my bike.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:59 am
weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:51 am
Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:49 am The second was with Spin. I was having major problems with hairpin bends. 1 day with Spin sorted that. :D
Can you elaborate on how/what slightly ?
IIRC I was turning in far too early and then running wide on the exit. This was not good in some parts of Europe.

Spin drilled me into sticking to the outside until I could see the exit and then, and only then, countersteer firmly to get where I wanted to be. All within about 20 miles of Oxford, he knew some interesting roads. :o
I'm crap at hairpins on a tarmac biased bike, but fucking ace at them on a dirt biased bike like a Supermoto
Honda Owner
The Spin Doctor

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:08 pm Can the coach keep up?
Seeing as Noggs was talking in the context of a novice learning to get closer to the limits of what a bike can achieve, I would ruddy well hope so ;)
Track tuition is a hard one to quantify too, I've had it, both CSS and another, I went faster when Couch called me names and told me to follow him faster or give up and sell my bike.
It's worth pointing out that even top MotoGP riders have used coaches regularly... who may not be as 'fast' but can see things that can be changed and improved from the 'outside' perspective.

Personally I had an assessment and a few tips at Castle Coombe a few years ago from one of their track instructors. He said I should get into racing - I was quick enough. I did once lap Spa fast enough to have qualified 2nd last for that year's World Endurance Race. But I don't have the competitive urge to push to the limit in order to beat the bloke next to me. If I had done any racing it would have been endurance where it's more important to be consistent for long periods, not short circuit stuff.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:20 pm
It's worth pointing out that even top MotoGP riders have used coaches regularly... who may not be as 'fast' but can see things that can be changed and improved from the 'outside' perspective. .
I agree. In a golf context I was never quite good enough to turn Pro bit I was a very good coach.
The Spin Doctor

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:23 pm I agree. In a golf context I was never quite good enough to turn Pro bit I was a very good coach.
My brother tried to teach me. He stopped trying when I threatened to hit him with a club. He was a tolerably good player and a completely crap coach ;)
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I did a session with Spin a few months after I passed my test, there was no preaching involved. We rode a long way to find interesting roads and I had a great day out and got some pointers on road positioning so I could get round corners quicker, though he may have said safer.
Completely different to the 2 day Met police riding training that felt like I volunteered for a speed awareness course.

I'd happily do something like the Spin session in my car now if I thought I could find a car instructor with a similar relaxed attitude.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Should have said - benefit from a TD with one or two sessions of instruction!! I have instruction in the second session and usually the one after lunch!!

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:08 pm
Can the coach keep up?

Oh totally - it depends who is 'instructing'. I've had a couple of instructors that didn't really do much for me (namely one that took me out after a fairly big slide/crash at Portimao when I needed to rebuild some confidence - his comment at the end of the session was "well you were way slower and not as relaxed as you were when I took you out on the first day" - no shit sherlock - I threw my bike down the track between then and now and missed a day and a half because of a hospital trip and not being able to get my hand in my glove!! :roll: :roll:)

In general the instructors I had were mates or somehow we just seemed to get on. Much more - "follow what I do, then I'll follow, when I overtake, follow what I do and we'll debrief after the session". Every time I was pushed, on different tracks. So, more like what you experienced with Couchy but they were a bit kinder to me!! :lol: :lol:

I don't want someone to baby me on track, I want to be pushed and learn how to achieve what they are pushing me for. And in general, that's what I got - and for free!

Had I not smashed my shoulder, the next goal was that me and a friend were going to book a day with a private coach on track - much more intensive and way more feedback.

But, I know I'm not quick in a straight line. I know I'm pretty quick in corners but that I could be a lot quicker. So I have things I want to learn. Then I get told by the instructor what I need to do better to help (body position is a big challenge for me)

I think I'm pretty reasonable on the road - despite throwing the TL at an Astra 4 years ago, I pretty much know why that happened - but if, when I get back on a bike I find I'm lacking in confidence in areas or (hopefully not) in general, then I will find someone to help me because that isn't how I want to ride. I know I will take a fair bit of time to ride on the road the way I did (maybe never exactly the same, wrong side of the road and mad French drivers) but I won't rush and I will ask for help to relearn some of the skills I might have lost. But I want to feel confident that I can go out and have fun, feel pretty safe and get home wearing a big grin!

Because I've ridden with people who were so so good on a bike on the road, I've always been aware that I can improve - so I've always been open to learning more.
But then, I didn't get my first bike till I was 32.
Most of you guys have been riding since you were kids, doing track days and racing since you could first get to a track, so I totally get there is a huge difference - you've all been riding forever, you've not had any major incidents, you have fun, you feel safe - why do you need to change. I'm not in quite the same place
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Couchy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:22 pm
Horse wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:14 pm However, I changed my views on the type of training that I provided. I ditched formal 'advanced test' training, moving instead to more of targeted courses - problem solving, or improving specific areas.

'Riding' is a classic example of Donald Rumsfeld's 'knowns and unknowns'. Many riders are completely oblivious to how easier riding could be, or how much more control they could have.
There’s no way my riding could be easier, I’m completely relaxed at all times and always in control of the bike. This is why the above statement confuses me. If I’m already finding it really easy and in control what could I gain ?
First off, I said 'many', not 'all' and not 'you'. And that belief comes from having watched many riders out on the road. They often ride in a way that shows - whether they appreciate it or not - how simple changes could make their riding better. These weren't complicated things, nothing that needed Masonic or religious buy-in before fabled methods would be revealed. This was stuff like 'not being able to negotiate mini-roundabouts', or full-sized ones, not being able to ride slowly under control, not being able to stop under full control, not being able to competently get around corners, not being able to manoeuvre in tight spaces (like turning out of T junctions).

I've never seen you ride, only seen your videos of the RE. I really, really, doubt whether I would be the person to help you. And that's the point of, for example, the list I posted for Bigyin, about selecting the appropriate trainer (or 'coach') for what is wanted. The examples I gave in another post demonstrate how people had identified problems. We talked them through then, if I thought I could help, booked in.

If you're happy with your riding, that's great.

And if you don't want anything different, then that's great too.

But a question (which is simply that, it's not intended to be confrontational): is there anyone (track riding) who you have ever thought "I admire that bit of riding" or "They're better there than me"? If - and there might not be - something, then that could be something to consider looking at. [But it doesn't mean that person is the one to talk to]

However, you said something earlier about not liking the checklist approach. Well, whether you realise it or not, you use on-track a very similar approach as riders being trained in 'advanced' riding.

Do you choose a position on the track approaching, and a line through, a bend, use the brakes, change gear, accelerate? What's different about how you ride? Ok, you might not consciously do that every bend, every lap. But, presumably (and I'm not a track rider, so don't know), when you're learning a new track you have to work out braking points, etc.? Then, when you have sorted 'best', do the same each lap. But during that working out phase, you will have a mental list of things to sort. If that's not how you do it, can you explain?

Checklists are used in many critical situations. If you have been on a commercial flight, the pilots used checklists. If you go for surgery, the team will use checklists. Go to big restaurant, the chefs will use checklists (ok, perhaps not a critical application) - but that's what a recipe is, just a checklist.

I'm sorry you were confused by my post. I hope that the longer explanation above (although I post a lot here, it's rarely this detailed) clarifies what I meant.

I'm still confused as to how some people happily seek out - sport or hobby, work, whatever - support, information, training, but biking seems the odd one out. But some people really seem to hate trainers :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:37 pm I'm still confused as to how some people happily seek out - sport or hobby, work, whatever - support, information, training, but biking seems the odd one out. But some people really seem to hate trainers :D
Probably cos most people have at some time or another been harangued by IAM types and now would rather run barefoot over hot coals that deal with that sort of thing - and training can be perceived to be with someone like an IAM type!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:43 pm
Horse wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:37 pm I'm still confused as to how some people happily seek out - sport or hobby, work, whatever - support, information, training, but biking seems the odd one out. But some people really seem to hate trainers :D
Probably cos most people have at some time or another been harangued by IAM types and now would rather run barefoot over hot coals that deal with that sort of thing - and training can be perceived to be with someone like an IAM type!
Is the right answer. The MTB tuition I've had I'm not sure who had the most fun, him or me. We were both laughing like children. That makes the tuition excellent.

That said, the best tuition in the last 2 years for me, was from my 12 year old lady weekend.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I had a "general" ride out with Spin ages ago, but what I learned then has stood me in very good stead. It is well worth having the wisdom of other riders distilled into what you are doing/requiring. I've also done three ride outs with police bikers and had feedback from them as well which was also useful.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:30 pm Because I've ridden with people who were so so good on a bike on the road, I've always been aware that I can improve - so I've always been open to learning more.
Most of you guys have been riding since you were kids, doing track days and racing since you could first get to a track, so I totally get there is a huge difference - you've all been riding forever, you've not had any major incidents, you have fun, you feel safe - why do you need to change. I'm not in quite the same place
Lol I wish.

31 here was the first time I sat on a bike. My first race took me 2 years of rehab and weeks and months in plaster. Since then I've lost count of how many breaks I've had, another 10+ at least.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:49 pm
That said, the best tuition in the last 2 years for me, was from my 12 year old lady weekend.
Your what? :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

wheelnut wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:57 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:49 pm
Your what? :D
Whoops. I guess editing it would spoil It :angelic-green:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Horse wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:37 pm
Couchy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:22 pm
Horse wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:14 pm However, I changed my views on the type of training that I provided. I ditched formal 'advanced test' training, moving instead to more of targeted courses - problem solving, or improving specific areas.

'Riding' is a classic example of Donald Rumsfeld's 'knowns and unknowns'. Many riders are completely oblivious to how easier riding could be, or how much more control they could have.
There’s no way my riding could be easier, I’m completely relaxed at all times and always in control of the bike. This is why the above statement confuses me. If I’m already finding it really easy and in control what could I gain ?
First off, I said 'many', not 'all' and not 'you'. And that belief comes from having watched many riders out on the road. They often ride in a way that shows - whether they appreciate it or not - how simple changes could make their riding better. These weren't complicated things, nothing that needed Masonic or religious buy-in before fabled methods would be revealed. This was stuff like 'not being able to negotiate mini-roundabouts', or full-sized ones, not being able to ride slowly under control, not being able to stop under full control, not being able to competently get around corners, not being able to manoeuvre in tight spaces (like turning out of T junctions).

I've never seen you ride, only seen your videos of the RE. I really, really, doubt whether I would be the person to help you. And that's the point of, for example, the list I posted for Bigyin, about selecting the appropriate trainer (or 'coach') for what is wanted. The examples I gave in another post demonstrate how people had identified problems. We talked them through then, if I thought I could help, booked in.

If you're happy with your riding, that's great.

And if you don't want anything different, then that's great too.

But a question (which is simply that, it's not intended to be confrontational): is there anyone (track riding) who you have ever thought "I admire that bit of riding" or "They're better there than me"? If - and there might not be - something, then that could be something to consider looking at. [But it doesn't mean that person is the one to talk to]

However, you said something earlier about not liking the checklist approach. Well, whether you realise it or not, you use on-track a very similar approach as riders being trained in 'advanced' riding.

Do you choose a position on the track approaching, and a line through, a bend, use the brakes, change gear, accelerate? What's different about how you ride? Ok, you might not consciously do that every bend, every lap. But, presumably (and I'm not a track rider, so don't know), when you're learning a new track you have to work out braking points, etc.? Then, when you have sorted 'best', do the same each lap. But during that working out phase, you will have a mental list of things to sort. If that's not how you do it, can you explain?

Checklists are used in many critical situations. If you have been on a commercial flight, the pilots used checklists. If you go for surgery, the team will use checklists. Go to big restaurant, the chefs will use checklists (ok, perhaps not a critical application) - but that's what a recipe is, just a checklist.

I'm sorry you were confused by my post. I hope that the longer explanation above (although I post a lot here, it's rarely this detailed) clarifies what I meant.

I'm still confused as to how some people happily seek out - sport or hobby, work, whatever - support, information, training, but biking seems the odd one out. But some people really seem to hate trainers :D
I knew your comment wasn’t really aimed at me, on track I ride very much by feel and rarely by deliberate moves. But that’s prob because I’ve done it so long. As for riders I look at and think how or wow there’s none at club level or trackdays as I see that as all achievable if I was younger, fitter or cared anymore. But move up to national and International racing and I’m regularly in awe of the riding skills and there’s no way I could ever do what they do.
I do see that instruction is good for some folk as I used to instruct on track. I do see lots of people on track that really would benefit from help but never ask which confirms your last statement about bikes and their riders not wanting help. It’s prob an ego thing, they’ve bought a sportsbike and darent admit they need help. It’s the same ego that has them fitting slicks and using warmers in a novice group.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:52 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:30 pm Because I've ridden with people who were so so good on a bike on the road, I've always been aware that I can improve - so I've always been open to learning more.
Lol I wish.

31 here was the first time I sat on a bike. My first race took me 2 years of rehab and weeks and months in plaster. Since then I've lost count of how many breaks I've had, another 10+ at least.
At age 31 I’d been riding 25 years :shock:
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:08 pm Track tuition is a hard one to quantify too, I've had it ... CSS
My one day, road, cornering course effectively included all the elements of CSS Level 1. But with 1:1 coaching for the whole day and for much lower price.

Obviously there were differences: None of the glamour of pits and track, just a car park to start in. No cones on the road corners, you had to learn to identify those points for yourself. And no flag marshals, up to you to decide when to slow.

If Beancounter reads this, he might be able to say whether it was beneficial for him.

FWIW, Spin's 2 day cornering sessions cover far more.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: