Long distance commuter options

Anything you like about motorbikes
Hawkman

Long distance commuter options

Post by Hawkman »

Erm, yes, it's been a while. Though in my defence I've been a tad busy at work over the last two waves of Covid. Anyways, I've been offered a job in the smoke and it will involve a 100mile each way commute a couple of times a week - the rest of the time I can wfh.

Head says Tmax, Dullville or NC700something. Though for some reason Tmax's have 3k service intervals and higher annual service costs than "normal" bikes.

Heart says KTM890 Adventure or Ducati Multistrada. Might as well ride something that is fun to ride, especially when not commuting. MPG wouldn't be wildly different from Tmax.

Thoughts, suggestions and piss taking ideas?
KungFooBob

Re: Long distance commuter options

Post by KungFooBob »

Panigale.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Seriously tho', I like the look of the BMW F900XR.

BMW cos they don't seem to depreciate with mega miles on them like other bikes do. F900XR because the motor is proper frugal and it looks quite comfortable/cool.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Z1000SX
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Hawkman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:43 pm Erm, yes, it's been a while. Though in my defence I've been a tad busy at work over the last two waves of Covid. Anyways, I've been offered a job in the smoke and it will involve a 100mile each way commute a couple of times a week - the rest of the time I can wfh.

Head says Tmax, Dullville or NC700something. Though for some reason Tmax's have 3k service intervals and higher annual service costs than "normal" bikes.

Heart says KTM890 Adventure or Ducati Multistrada. Might as well ride something that is fun to ride, especially when not commuting. MPG wouldn't be wildly different from Tmax.

Thoughts, suggestions and piss taking ideas?
I did 35 mile each way daily commute on my Multi for 3 years racking up about 40000 miles in that time. MPG sat at about 50 for the dual carriageways at about 80 mph, rear tyres lasted 6000 miles but squared off badly and its a minor service every 7500 and major every 15000 miles (eye watering if done by Ducati dealer)

Something like an old shaft drive Beemer will run for less money, give more weather protection and cost less to maintain....but wont be as much fun ;)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

100 mile commute to work, get another job
Honda Owner
millemille

Post by millemille »

Honda Blackbird
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

NC something
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

asmethurst99 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:32 pm NC something
NC21 , NC30 kinda thing ?

Bit cramped i thought ;)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Hi Mate, Currently using a NC700X DCT as my daily hack. Not a particularly exciting bike obvs, but does the job very well. 8k service intervals and mines returning 72mpg. If you're doing those sort of miles you'll want a shad seat or the original one repacked with a gel insert as its not a comfortable seat and slopes forward.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

zzr14 of some descripion
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Hawkman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:43 pm 100mile each way commute
Honda Civic
Hawkman

Post by Hawkman »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:07 pm Hi Mate, Currently using a NC700X DCT as my daily hack. Not a particularly exciting bike obvs, but does the job very well. 8k service intervals and mines returning 72mpg. If you're doing those sort of miles you'll want a shad seat or the original one repacked with a gel insert as its not a comfortable seat and slopes forward.
What sort of costs are you looking at for servicing? Online suggest £700 pa for a Tmax???

I'm sorting out terms and conditions, but hoping to only go into the office 2 days a week, or in extremis when we have flaming bags of dogshit to deal with.
Hawkman

Post by Hawkman »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:41 pm
Hawkman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:43 pm 100mile each way commute
Honda Civic
Already have a car for the depths of winter - it's fine until there's a crash on the M11/A1 or I hit the M25. At least with a bike I can filter and get home at a reasonable time without incurring domestic shock and awe from the long haired general.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Whilst I'd like to say a Deauville, don't......
Whilst they are reliable and low maintenance, they are also so slow and boring to ride. Having ridden an old NTV650 for many many miles I thought a 700 would be the perfect commuter but it wasn't. Get something else.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:58 pm
asmethurst99 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:32 pm NC something
NC21 , NC30 kinda thing ?

Bit cramped i thought ;)
well some people do...... :?
Taipan has already answered the q ...My 750 is great - not exciting and has a hard seat but is easy to ride
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

asmethurst99 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:33 am

well some people do...... :?
Taipan has already answered the q ...My 750 is great - not exciting and has a hard seat but is easy to ride
I was only taking the piss as I knew exactly what you meant as one of my fellow instructors has the NC750 DCT thing. I rode it once out of curiosity and hated it due to the auto gearbox and no clutch. It felt completely alien to what I have known for 30 plus years riding, even different to a twist and go scooter. We all had a go on it and all said “nope, you can keep that to yourself” ;)
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

I went through the same process a couple of years ago and wanted something comfortable and practical, yet fun and fast.

Tried a few things and ended up buying a KTM Super Duke GT. It's for sale btw as I no longer commute :)

Main advantages:
- 300-mile tank range/60 mpg at cruise, low 50s on average
- 170 bhp, sporty handling, fast AF
- Comfy, plenty of storage, cruise control
- Heated things, multiple power sockets for satnav, good lights etc etc

I tried a Multistrada a couple of times and liked it. But buying/servicing costs were a lot higher and it was definitely a bit bigger/less sporty. Also considered a Z1000SX which I'd still consider in the same situation, but it lacked a few features that were odd for a supposed sports-tourer, like no cruise control and no way of having panniers and top box together. Plus I just fancied something more upright.

Also considered the Tracer 900GT, but it was just a step down in terms of performance and features. The power of the KTM seduced me in the end.

After a couple of years of ownership, I can honestly say that it's an incredible bike. It really is the cliched all things to all men. For a biggish bike anyway. I don't need to commute any more so looking to buy maybe something retro or small and naked instead, as I only really ride locally for fun, but in all honesty I know that the SDGT does all that perfectly well, and can still take on a cross-country trip if I need to.

Also, just to make the obvious point in relation to any KTM reference, yes it's been 100% reliable, the dealer's been great, the serving reasonable. Can't really fault the bike or experience a jot.
Last edited by Slenver on Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

I knew you were - (I haven't ridden a DCT )- I like my NC because i'm upright and can see around me - could have slightly more power though.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bigyin wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:38 am I was only taking the piss as I knew exactly what you meant as one of my fellow instructors has the NC750 DCT thing. I rode it once out of curiosity and hated it due to the auto gearbox and no clutch. It felt completely alien to what I have known for 30 plus years riding, even different to a twist and go scooter. We all had a go on it and all said “nope, you can keep that to yourself” ;)
I got on the NC700 DCT wanting to hate it, and pretty much did. Couldn't see the point.

Then I rode the 750 DCT across Los Angeles and into the Santa Monica mountains and back again for a day of riding. The 750 is a big improvement on the 700, and suddenly the auto gearbox made a lot of sense.

I'm still not convinced enough to rush out and buy one as my all-purpose bike here, but it was brilliant in heavy traffic and surprisingly good fun in the twisties, particularly with the different modes to play with.

Oh, and even after half a day of charging up and down hairpins and half a day stuck on freeways or in jams, the fuel consumption over 220 miles was nearer 90 mpg (converted to UK gals) too. My XJ6 or Hornet would be quicker but I would have only got around 55 mpg from them.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills