Do you have any biking aspirations left to tick off ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Do you have any biking aspirations left to tick off ?

Post by weeksy »

Coming on from the 'best days' i was wondering what you may or may not potentially have as your 'next big one' when it comes to bikes.

Most of us here have been doing this biking thing for decades and for some it seems to me like it's got a bit old and samey...

So, do you have something to recapture it in the thoughts ?

For me, i'm seeing a Spa Francorchamps trip again in the not too distant future. Riding over there on a 2 dayer, then 2-3 days around Spa and Cochem and then back after a day riding at Spa. This will be done on something a little more than an XSR, even though it's likely to be a short term purchase, either a KTM 1290SDR or an MT-10, still debating that one.

There is of course potentially a European trackday with a bunch of like minded souls from this here forum. Partly for me, partly for Welsh Muffin, will be epic for her to have the experience of playing out in the glorious sunny Spanish/Portuguese weather and circuits.

However both are things i've previously done, so wondering "does there need to be something different" but that only really brings off-roading into the mix as most of the other stuff that's realistic within time and budget constraints i've done before.... But something like a 3-5 dayer in Andalucia on the gravel tracks, well that's got to be a laugh.
DefTrap

Re: Do you have any biking aspirations left to tick off ?

Post by DefTrap »

For me

Moto giro ditalia
Speedway course

It occurs to me that I'm in a hiatus where the kids are off my hands so I have the time and money, and before I get too crooked!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:28 am For me

Moto giro ditalia
Speedway course

It occurs to me that I'm in a hiatus where the kids are off my hands so I have the time and money, and before I get too crooked!
Both of them tick boxes for me too. There's a place near Buxton where we're off to in Aug, i was thinking about the speedway day. But they only have a flat track course when we're there.

Moto Giro... yes, 100%... all day... i'm in.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

I’d love to do Spa.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:45 am
DefTrap wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:28 am For me

Moto giro ditalia
Speedway course

Both of them tick boxes for me too. There's a place near Buxton where we're off to in Aug, i was thinking about the speedway day. But they only have a flat track course when we're there.

Moto Giro... yes, 100%... all day... i'm in.
The speedway thing is a waste of time. I did one with Couchy and WB and just sat on my arse all day. :banana-dance:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:46 am I’d love to do Spa.
The only issue with Spa is the possibility of inclement weather... the track though is 100% as good as you hope it would be.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I did a speedway taster day at Sheffield (probably 20 years ago). They were only 125 Honda four strokes locked into a low gear, but it was great (tiring) fun.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I've still got a few motorcycle related aspirations & I'm aware times ticking by if I want to get things done...
I CBA with the fast stuff now,just want to take the scenic route by motorcycle.
The big tour is riding up to the Nordkapp,I'm 60 this month & this was going to be my retirement trip but with the covid restrictions I've decided to roll it over. The trip not the retirement.
I've never been to Mugello for the GP & we were going to go last year but Covid spannered that trip so it's another tour I'm planning on doing in 2022.
One of my mates mentioned that his brother in law is retiring next year & wants to do a motorcycle trip to see some of the Tour De France.I also want to see the TDF live,I've an ambition to cycle Alpe D'huez so I could combine that with the trip to see the TDF.
I first read about the Stella Alpina rally in the early 80's.I know 2 people who have done it in recent years,still got to tick that box
I've also still got to see the Bikers Classics meeting at Spa.
Looks like the retirement tour will be up to the top of Scotland this Sept,I'm hoping the camper vanners will have gone home by then.
Another one on the list is Morocco & getting to the sahara dunes.
Plenty to go at!!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Route 66, or similar
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Still lots left - I doubt I will tick all the boxes.

IoM TT
New Zealand tour.
West Coast of USA tour
Ride a Goldwing for a week.
Tour Spain
Tour Eastern Europe (Croatia, etc)
Proper tour of Italy, right down to the toe

Lots more still to do!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

I'd definitely like to do more riding abroad.
non quod, sed quomodo
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

2 simple ones I have on my list

I want to do a Wheelie school day or 2

I want to go back to the Pyrenees with ‘like’ minded bikers

Im easily pleased 😁
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I still wanna do more trackdays. Portimao and Jerez are on the list for this autumn. The missus suggested that we stick the bike on the ferry and we fly over and she rents a hire car. Can't see any flaws in that idea.

And if/when the ferry to Morocco reopens, we're all gonna jump on and have some fun in the deserts :)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I think if the wife and I do some touring in the states, I'd like to rent a big ol' Harley to ride on a bit of route 66 just so I can say I have. But, i'd probably be a short rental period as the wife isn't keen on bikes and I think wed both prefer to be in a convertible? No other real aspirations as bikes have really become a commuting tool only for me.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I can't see it happening but I'd like to be fit (and daft) enough to do another season racing motocross. Those were some of my best times on two wheels. Sitting on the start line with my heart coming out of my chest, pure adrenaline and aggression in that first corner when elbows and legs were out, and then fighting similar paced riders lap after lap swapping places.
Sitting around at night with other riders, wife's and families and it being a real family weekend event.

Other than that, I'm happy with sunny afternoons riding around the moors, with just enough crisp air so you're not sweating, stop off for half a pint at the pub as the evening draws in and then home ready for dinner.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

To go back to just a 2 bike garage!!!!!!
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Tour some of Italy on a bike with the missus pillion....... that bit is @gremlin fault posting about trips with "the kid" and missus realising hiring a bike after a flight was an option rather than riding all the way there and back

Possibly some west coast USA but will leave full route 66 as its a straight road all the way across so might ride the California/ Nevada area around the coast and the Grand canyon area with a couple of days in Vegas

Would still love to do Portimao "just because" but that will wait till its 100% fucking certain that travel chaos wont be an issue
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I don’t know tbh, having just sold my last bike I’m in no rush for another. I’m doing the c90 endurance racing and if we enjoy that we’ll do some more and some of the 125 endurance. A Spa trip would be fun and I may do another European Trackday but I’ll buy a bike for them and sell it when I get back. My mtb gives me the rush on two wheels I want and I do believe I only like to be on two wheels when I’m getting an adrenalin kick, just riding doesn’t really do it for me which rules out road riding tbh.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Love to go to Spa again for a trip. would also redo the N260 pyranees road from Pamplona to Perpignon only biking I've done in merica was a days hire of a Harley from Cottonwood, bit tame really up to Jerome in the hills scraping the chrome off the bloody thing like a lawnmower with a big hinge in the middle. Mrs rdbrgee modelling it,Image

ImageSpirit bar Jerome
Last edited by rodbargee on Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

rodbargee wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:49 pm would also redo the N260 pyranees road from Pamplona to Perpignononly

One of my favourites, especially the section from Sort to Adrall