LED headlight bulbs now legal.

Anything you like about motorbikes
Taipan

LED headlight bulbs now legal.

Post by Taipan »

Govt changed the law so that not all LED headlight bulb conversions are illegal and you can pass an MOT with one fitted now. This is provided the LED bulb gives road legal beam pattern, which apparently a lo of them do now? Having had LED headlight before I'll defo be doing mine in time for winter.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... onversions
KungFooBob

Re: LED headlight bulbs now legal.

Post by KungFooBob »

So cars made before 1st April 1986 can have LED/HID conversions, but after that they can't, but bikes can, as long as the pattern/aim is correct.

How odd.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:51 pm So cars made before 1st April 1986 can have LED/HID conversions, but after that they can't, but bikes can, as long as the pattern/aim is correct.

How odd.
It might be something to do with the need for self levelling and washing systems on cars with lights over a certain brightness. If your bulbs are bright enough - 2000 lumens I think it is - the lamps have to be auto washing and levelleing.

AIUI the main benefit of LEDs is the beam shape anyway, not so much the brightness. The ability to have long thin bulbs means you can throw a better pattern. Just sticking a brighter lamp in the same reflector doesn't do as much.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:51 pm So cars made before 1st April 1986 can have LED/HID conversions, but after that they can't, but bikes can, as long as the pattern/aim is correct.

How odd.
Meh, the barry boys just swap lamps out on MOT day and back again before the ink is dry on paperwork.
Which reminds me I need to get a lamp mounted on my MOT friendly number plate.

Oh, and Harley FTW;
ImageIMG_20190512_151039 by MrLongbeard, on Flickr
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:54 pm Just sticking a brighter lamp in the same reflector doesn't do as much.
I can confirm that from practical experience with a crap Triumph headlight that threw a patchy pattern. A brighter bulb made the holes appear worse.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:11 pm A brighter bulb made the holes appear worse.
You should have taken the bulb out, then you'd have got perfect coverage. :thumbup:
Skub

Post by Skub »

I have nothing constructive to add,other than Mr.Dazzle has the perfect username for this thread. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Keep up ;)

Covered on my Elevenses webcast a week ago :)

There are now a wide range of branded LED bulbs from manufacturers like OSRAM that weren't available a few weeks back last time I checked... so I would hope they put out the right beam pattern.

As one of the OSRAM Night Breakers (much brighter than the standard 55w halogens but don't last long) on the car blew last week on the way down to Devon, I might invest in a pair.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills