What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
the_priest

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by the_priest »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:59 pm
the_priest wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:16 pm Was yesterday but hey ho. Popped out on the bike to visit an elderly parishioner who cannot get to Church now as she is too frail and took her Holy Communion. She was such a delight, but also very forthright, top quality conversation.

Today I helped to setup with baptismal pool, big enough for me to lie down in, so over two meters long and quite deep at just short of 3 feet in depth. Will fill it up on Sunday morning to make sure we are all ready for the evening service.

I'll be heading to a care home next week on the bike to take the sacraments to a lady who got Covid, and the drugs they used to save her life caused to become profoundly hard of hearing. She also has "vocal dementia" hearing voices of people from her past, and so goes away with her memories, but is still bright, great sense of humour and happy to see me as I'm profoundly hard of hearing and know what she is living with now.
When my mum went into her last care home, she was always telling the staff she'd been waterskiiing that day. She was very frail.
When they told me, I said that we had a speedboat moored on Windermere and mum was a good skier back in the day.

They loved that and played along when mum told them again.
Love that. There is a great integrity in living in people's memories alongside them. I have sadly had to listen to horrible memories too, but in that instance I hope that I can bring the person some comfort and hopefully some peace.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

the_priest wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:16 pm Was yesterday but hey ho. Popped out on the bike to visit an elderly parishioner who cannot get to Church now as she is too frail and took her Holy Communion. She was such a delight, but also very forthright, top quality conversation.

Today I helped to setup with baptismal pool, big enough for me to lie down in, so over two meters long and quite deep at just short of 3 feet in depth. Will fill it up on Sunday morning to make sure we are all ready for the evening service.

I'll be heading to a care home next week on the bike to take the sacraments to a lady who got Covid, and the drugs they used to save her life caused to become profoundly hard of hearing. She also has "vocal dementia" hearing voices of people from her past, and so goes away with her memories, but is still bright, great sense of humour and happy to see me as I'm profoundly hard of hearing and know what she is living with now.
That's quite a bit of water, how comfortable a temperature do you want it?
At this time of year if you are filling it with a hose then to make it 25 degrees you'll need about 10% to be boiling water from a kettle.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Mussels wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:40 pm

That's quite a bit of water, how comfortable a temperature do you want it?
At this time of year if you are filling it with a hose then to make it 25 degrees you'll need about 10% to be boiling water from a kettle.
We are able to fill it from a hot water tap and balance the heat by filling it early in the day. So by the evening service it is nice and temperate.
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I went to the valley this morning for physio and then met a friend for coffee

Well, coffee lasted about 4 hours!! LOL Same thing happened last time. I guess we've both finally found someone to chat with that we have something in common with!! LOL She's a new(ish) biker and her boyfriend rides. She said the same thing as I've found - we know lots of people but very few that we have anything in common with!! LOL

Sooooo good to chat and totally lose track of time :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Went to see my friend as their daughter is twenty today. Got to hold his oldest daughter's new baby boy.

I'm all broody now. Love the smell of baby heads. :P
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

the_priest wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:16 pm Today I helped to setup with baptismal pool, big enough for me to lie down in, so over two meters long and quite deep at just short of 3 feet in depth. Will fill it up on Sunday morning to make sure we are all ready for the evening service.

I have a question about holy water.... Why doesn't someone just bless the oceans & convert it ALL into holy water? or is there some "blessing range" beyond which incantations don't work?
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

the_priest wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:16 pm
They must have big babies where you live! :D
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:08 pm
the_priest wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:16 pm
They must have big babies where you live! :D
Well it is America, and in Texas everything is bigger...

We don't need to bless things to make them "holy". We are giving thanks to God for what he has given us in the new life in Christ, the immersion in water is a symbol of that transition, a public declaration of faith before the community. It is after all God's creation, how can I make it holy except to give thanks for it in His name. And as to range, He is everywhere!!
ZRX61 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:43 pm
the_priest wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:16 pm Today I helped to setup with baptismal pool, big enough for me to lie down in, so over two meters long and quite deep at just short of 3 feet in depth. Will fill it up on Sunday morning to make sure we are all ready for the evening service.

I have a question about holy water.... Why doesn't someone just bless the oceans & convert it ALL into holy water? or is there some "blessing range" beyond which incantations don't work?
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Was going say that I’m not sure the Anglians go in for holy water in such a big way but makman has beat me to it. More of a catholic thing.

To makman, does that mean that anglicans now do adult baptism?
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:17 pm

Was going say that I’m not sure the Anglians go in for holy water in such a big way but makman has beat me to it. More of a catholic thing.

To makman, does that mean that anglicans now do adult baptism?
We always have done adult baptism, but some like to do full immersion as it is a more fulfilling experience and scriptural. Some ancient churches have pool baptismal fonts at the front that you walk through, they are often in the shape of a cross and remind us that it is from death to life that we go through in our baptism.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

We all still die.

Perhaps religion should have a separate space here, like politics.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:13 am We all still die.

The religious comments are the result of people asking questions - should he not answer?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

He's not pushing religion down our throats, like a few do with politics :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

slowsider wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:13 am
No, that'd be silly.

We have sections for various prominent topics and potential discussions. That's not one.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Just dropped the car off for a service and valet, thankfully not at the dealers but a small independent who happens to have a valeting / detailing company next door.

Managed to grab a bacon bap on the walk home so all is well in the world. :thumbup:
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:22 am

The religious comments are the result of people asking questions - should he not answer?
I, along with my brothers and sister had a strict Ulster Baptist upbringing from birth, which basically meant church 3 times every Sunday, no TV or playing outside etc on the Lord's day, and a fair few other restrictions that my schoolmates never had- It meant that I got what I think is a fairly good view of that particular religion, and I decided I didn't believe any of it, it wasn't for me and as soon as I was able (which was when I was ~ 14YO ) I rebelled, and rejected it.
What my upbringing also did though was make me ask lots of questions and from that, I got an interest in learning a bit about other religions, which I continue to do- I haven't found any traditional" God" type religions that I believe yet, but there is good in most of them IMO, and generally speaking in the people that truly live their lives in accordance with them.

If I had to put my personal religious beliefs/outlook into a category then I'm definitely Humanist, as that's how I live my life, and I have to admit the whole question of religion and the many different interpretations of it, particularly the absolute faith that some obviously very intelligent and knowledgable people have in what to me are definitely fantasies fascinates me, but that doesn't mean that I am never interested in what those of other faiths have to say- interesting people are interesting whatever beliefs they may have.

All part of life's rich tapestry and all that I say :1
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Sold my old soundbar and subwoofer on FB market place with only one scammer enquiry before genuine buyer.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Did I suggest that?
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:33 am Sold my old soundbar and subwoofer on FB market place with only one scammer enquiry before genuine buyer.
#disappointing
#shudavetriedharder

:D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:49 am

Did I suggest that?
I know. But if someone asks a question in a thread, should he say "just go to the religious section and I'll answer there"??

I'm not remotely religious in the traditional way. I grew up seeing people who said they were religious and watching them go to church on Sundays and high days, only to see and hear them then do things so unkind that it couldn't match with the religion they said they followed (I was brought up CofE but went to a Catholic prep school - my half Irish Dad wanted us to learn about other religions, he didn't know how awful and segregated the school was until I told him when I was well past school age)

I have little interest in it in general but try to be kind and to not do harm to people. That seems to be what all religions started out as? I have a friend who became a priest whilst we worked together. When I left I gave her a hug and she said some religious words out loud 'for' me as I hugged her - now that I found uncomfortable!!

But sometimes it's interesting to read what is said about different things, even if I don't follow it (bit like football in some ways!!)