Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

TWO-STROKE HYBRITZA: YAMAHA 350 YPVS CAFE RACER

Post by weeksy »

cheb

Re: TWO-STROKE HYBRITZA: YAMAHA 350 YPVS CAFE RACER

Post by cheb »

Too much red detailing for me, but good otherwise.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

I love the overall concept, but the execution is pants IMO, especially the aesthetics
It would be relatively easy to sort though and could be a real looker- in no particular order, this is what I'd do:
  • Lose all the silly red tat and rim tape etc
  • Make the tank look proper TZ (tuning fork and smaller lower Yamaha decals in gold needed)
  • Replace current pipes with better looking (bare metal or black) and probably better-performing ones
  • Paint top-end black
  • Change the silly angle of the rear number plate, and possibly replace the seat with a longer one too
  • Replace the headlight with a prettier one
And then I'd sort the motor- 4x4 421cc Cheetah, PWKs, Zeeltronic, lock-up clutch with custom-made pipes, and I'd have a nice bike, hmm, has got me thinking- maybe that's the next project...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Stupid seat hump kills it.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Seems like a lot of hardwork, using an air cooled RD frame, the YPVS frame is massively better handling and the engine mounting points are in the right place.

I don't like the bike, there are so many things wrong with it I can't be bothered to list them, it's the opposite of the flat track Royal Enfields, they're crap looking engine surrounded by good looking bike, this is great engine surrounded by crap looking bike.
Honda Owner
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I like it. Nice balanced look overall. If it were mine i'd paint it all black, but that;s just my preferred colour for bikes.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:38 pm Seems like a lot of hardwork, using an air cooled RD frame, the YPVS frame is massively better handling and the engine mounting points are in the right place.

I don't like the bike, there are so many things wrong with it I can't be bothered to list them, it's the opposite of the flat track Royal Enfields, they're crap looking engine surrounded by good looking bike, this is great engine surrounded by crap looking bike.
Lol at " massively better handling" - all relative I suppose... :D

The reason he used the AC frame was of course as a (pre-F model ) TZ350 shape tank was the primary must-have, and that just isn't really possible with a YPVS frame
crust

Post by crust »

I like it, reckon it would be a proper laugh on B roads.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Aside from too much red bling I like it and would love a run.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Le_Fromage_Grande

Tricky wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:17 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:38 pm Seems like a lot of hardwork, using an air cooled RD frame, the YPVS frame is massively better handling and the engine mounting points are in the right place.

Lol at " massively better handling" - all relative I suppose... :D

The reason he used the AC frame was of course as a (pre-F model ) TZ350 shape tank was the primary must-have, and that just isn't really possible with a YPVS frame
I couldn't think how else to put it, I've hated all the air cooled RDs I've ridden (including the two 400s I owned), LCs handled a lot better, and power valves handle a lot better than LCs, weirdly I never got on with the TZR250 I had.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

You've only got on with 3 bikes ever built

You own all 3

:obscene-birdiedoublered:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My air cooled RD250 handled like a dream... it did have a YPVS front end with a home made fork brace tho'

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You know....if I didn't know what a cafe racer was (which isn't too much of a stretch, the more I try and pin it down) I don't think I'd be able to figure it out from looking at all these self titled cafe racers.
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:23 pm You've only got on with 3 bikes ever built

You own all 3

:obscene-birdiedoublered:
Bitch 😁

I'm not convinced I get on with the 3 that are running, and I've got a feeling I'm going to hate my YPVS when it's rideable again.

Talking to my mate today and we're both getting a bit hacked off with heavy, old bikes that need constant attention.
Last edited by Le_Fromage_Grande on Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:28 pm My air cooled RD250 handled like a dream... it did have a YPVS front end with a home made fork brace tho'

My ones lacked ground clearance and felt flexy, though I haven't ridden one since 1986.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

That was was flexy as fuck, it was part of the fun. FARHON crank, DTR125 pistons (which made it 274cc or something, cos 275 was the class limit), mild FARHON tune on the ports and heads... Ron said to take it back and he'd do a proper job on the heads once I'd got used to it... never did.

I didn't go much faster on my much more modern, 65bhp Desmo Due race bike.
Newey

Post by Newey »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:57 pm That was was flexy as fuck, it was part of the fun. FARHON crank, DTR125 pistons (which made it 274cc or something, cos 275 was the class limit), mild FARHON tune on the ports and heads... Ron said to take it back and he'd do a proper job on the heads once I'd got used to it... never did.

Just curious, I had a 350LC which had a Stan Stevens 375cc tune, I was told it used genuine Yamaha pistons, anyone know out of what bike these pistons would have come from to make 375cc?? the barrels were altered to suit as the factory marking of 347cc at the base of the barrel was half gone.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Newey wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:27 am
KungFooBob wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:57 pm That was was flexy as fuck, it was part of the fun. FARHON crank, DTR125 pistons (which made it 274cc or something, cos 275 was the class limit), mild FARHON tune on the ports and heads... Ron said to take it back and he'd do a proper job on the heads once I'd got used to it... never did.

Just curious, I had a 350LC which had a Stan Stevens 375cc tune, I was told it used genuine Yamaha pistons, anyone know out of what bike these pistons would have come from to make 375cc?? the barrels were altered to suit as the factory marking of 347cc at the base of the barrel was half gone.
Stan used DT175 pistons and lowered the barrels
Honda Owner