What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by cheb »

Done my last day of bossing the vaccination carpark. I'll miss the money made from selling vaccination certificates at a tenner a pop.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:45 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:50 pm Rewired part of a friends race ZX6R, apparently now I 'm riding it at Cadwell on the 23rd of July if I want to.
You'll hate all this new fangled machinery.
It's 22 years old and thankfully has carbs, he's also got a 2005 HRC Fireblade that I might be allowed to play on.
Honda Owner
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Noggin wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:41 pm I no longer swim like a three legged frog
[X] Cultural insensitivity. Merde alors !
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Fell out of the door! :oops: :lol: I'll explain. I have a double step leading out of our patio doors onto the decking. We replaced the patio doors with french doors, so i needed to widen the step. I rebuilt the bottom step yesterday but hadn't done the top step which i forgot about when I walked out this morning, hence the comedy gold for my Wife & Son! :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:53 am
Noggin wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:41 pm I no longer swim like a three legged frog
[X] Cultural insensitivity. Merde alors !
TBF - so many French have use the description Rost Boeuf in front of me (not about me!) that I'm only sinking to their level!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I went swimming again today. Only person in the pool for the first half of my 10 lengths and then a guy and his daughter came in. So, not exactly busy!! LOL

But. HUGE News!!!

So, as I've said before, I have only done breaststroke because I couldn't lift my arm enough/didn't have the range of movement to do anything else

I did attempt crawl yesterday and that failed hugely!!

Today, I did two lengths of backstroke today :shock: :shock: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

Damn that was good! Ok, I wasn't exactly technical! and I know boths sides weren't even. But it was a decent attempt at backstroke. I'm sooooooo happy!!! :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

Also - I did have another go at crawl. Now, I can swim but I can't swim well. Well enough to do lengths but I've never mastered the art of the breathing in time with the arm strokes. I used to need to go every 3rd one, but couldn't keep that up for long!!!

In my attempt at crawl today I worked out that I couldn't 'breathe' on the right side as that just seemed to hurt (probably overcompensating somehow) so I tried to breathe every second stroke to the left! That was too often and I gave up at that point - I wanted to swim rather than get caught up in technique. Especially since I don't know what the technique should be!! LOL

BUT - I did manage to do a few strokes of crawl!! So that made me seriously happy too!! :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

And did some physio exercises in between doing lengths :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

Happy Noggin today!! As I get fitter I'll have another go at the crawl/breathing thing!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
David

Post by David »

G.P wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:14 pm finally said good bye to the mighty ELgrand, bloke paid for it 10 days ago but was logistically challenged :)
By way of celebration I bought an 18v Hedge trimmer :thumbup:
19 Valves on a hedge trimmer! Bet that gets your pubes down at top speed....
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mourned the loss of another friend, courtesy of Lewy bodies dementia at 64 years old.

That, and was told my mate's pancreatic cancer is stage 4 and ravaging his liver. That was tough call to have with his wife.

I feel like the fucking Grim Reaper. Everyone I know is getting sick.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Fed the squirrels tice
Seasoned a dutch oven
Didn't get around to putting on shoes or even socks all day.

All working on bringing back a not very old, but totally dried out, wooden cutting board with food grade mineral oil/lavender oil mix.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Just got confirmation that I'm going to be an Agent Immobilier up here!! (Estate agent - I know, lowest of the low)!!!

So I'm very happy - bit wary and scared but very happy!

Training won't be until the end of August which is a bit of a shame as I'll miss the chance to talk to all the people up here (officially) for the 2 month summer season, but my friends that do the same in the valley said that if I get any leads they can put them through their 'account' until I'm official!! :D :D :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: Cakes are from me today!! :bblonde: :bblonde:

One slight niggle but I'll put that elsewhere as this is a chuffed to bits post!! :bblonde: :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Took my 1998 CBR600 'day to day' bike for it's MOT. Passed with flying colours - that bike has never failed an MOT as far back as it's possible to check.

Just as I was thinking what a good little egg it is the damned thing broke down :D Started misfiring and generally spluttering, I managed to coax it to within about 200m of home then had to push the rest.

I'm thinking it's got to be electrical, this is the first time in a long time that I've ridden it in the wet. It's also now missing the fairing cover over the fusebox, so while the lid to said box is still there it can get wet. I gave the box a dousing of WD40 and it seems OK now....but you never know. I don't much fancy getting stuck the next time I'm caught in the rain.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I'm out walking, a field of cows I've used at all times of the year for the last 20 years was a bit different today. It didn't feel right when I went into the field so I walked a a slightly different route, close to an easy to climb tree. Got charged by a couple of heffers and jumped into the tree, there was another half a dozen close behind, which were circling the tree. A couple poked there noses in and got a kick. Ten minutes and the whole herd suddenly ran to the other side of field, I was out of the tree and running to the nearest fence in the opposite direction. I had to re-enter the field briefly because of the fence arrangement, as soon as I did lots of mooing and cows running towards me. Very scary. I had a chat with the farmer who was off to investigate.

Now in a pub to get over the experience.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Cows are, in all seriousness, dangerous animals. I had a similar incident where the herd started coming towards us when out walking, we walked quicker, they started trotting, we started running, they charged. Luckily we got to a fence and then laughed at their inability to scale it.
Like you, we'd walked past them umpteen times before, but on that day they just had the hump.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

gremlin wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:06 pm Cows are, in all seriousness, dangerous animals. I had a similar incident where the herd started coming towards us when out walking, we walked quicker, they started trotting, we started running, they charged. Luckily we got to a fence and then laughed at their inability to scale it.
Like you, we'd walked past them umpteen times before, but on that day they just had the hump.
There's more than a few farmers have ended up dead/in ICU after been trampled by cows.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

gremlin wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:06 pm Cows are, in all seriousness, dangerous animals. I had a similar incident where the herd started coming towards us when out walking, we walked quicker, they started trotting, we started running, they charged. Luckily we got to a fence and then laughed at their inability to scale it.
When you say 'we' was that with your dog?
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

In my past jobs on the railway I've had a few run ins with cows trying to access remote sites across farmers land. One night the contractor electricians mate had to access a cabinet in the cow field and ended up leaping a barbed wire fence into the brambles to get away from them. We had to drive a van into the field use it too shoo the cows away from where they had him trapped.

Another time I parked up in the field awaiting my mate with a 4x4 to turn up and the cows came over a decided to use my new van as a scratching/rubbing post. By the time my mate arrived, my new van had many panel dings and a lot of manure rubbed into it. How he laughed.......that is until the feckers stampeded after us across the two fields, with us and some very delicate test equipment bouncing around the inside of his Hilux as we careered across the fields at 40mph! We only just managed to get the Hilux through the gate and get it closed before they arrived. 2hrs later they'd fooked off to the other side of the field and didn't bat an eyelid as we crept around them.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Was hoping to get outdoor errands done before it got hot... it was 96 fucking deg when I woke up at 7am. :flame:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Cows are very curious, at least UK ones (IME). The US variety usually bugger off & have to be rounded up with horses, dogs, dirtbikes or helicopters. Although with that said, some US cattle are curious, I totally freaked out my kid when she was about 8 by calling an entire herd of about 200 over so she could get a closer look.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Was yesterday but hey ho. Popped out on the bike to visit an elderly parishioner who cannot get to Church now as she is too frail and took her Holy Communion. She was such a delight, but also very forthright, top quality conversation.

Today I helped to setup with baptismal pool, big enough for me to lie down in, so over two meters long and quite deep at just short of 3 feet in depth. Will fill it up on Sunday morning to make sure we are all ready for the evening service.

I'll be heading to a care home next week on the bike to take the sacraments to a lady who got Covid, and the drugs they used to save her life caused to become profoundly hard of hearing. She also has "vocal dementia" hearing voices of people from her past, and so goes away with her memories, but is still bright, great sense of humour and happy to see me as I'm profoundly hard of hearing and know what she is living with now.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

the_priest wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:16 pm Was yesterday but hey ho. Popped out on the bike to visit an elderly parishioner who cannot get to Church now as she is too frail and took her Holy Communion. She was such a delight, but also very forthright, top quality conversation.

Today I helped to setup with baptismal pool, big enough for me to lie down in, so over two meters long and quite deep at just short of 3 feet in depth. Will fill it up on Sunday morning to make sure we are all ready for the evening service.

I'll be heading to a care home next week on the bike to take the sacraments to a lady who got Covid, and the drugs they used to save her life caused to become profoundly hard of hearing. She also has "vocal dementia" hearing voices of people from her past, and so goes away with her memories, but is still bright, great sense of humour and happy to see me as I'm profoundly hard of hearing and know what she is living with now.
When my mum went into her last care home, she was always telling the staff she'd been waterskiiing that day. She was very frail.
When they told me, I said that we had a speedboat moored on Windermere and mum was a good skier back in the day.

They loved that and played along when mum told them again.