Storing A Bike Outside

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: Storing A Bike Outside

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Watch out for paintwork damage... outdoor covers flap in the breeze. Scratched the screen badly on the XJ6. I usually remember to pop an old pillow case over the top of the screen now.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Skub

Post by Skub »

If you haven't already done so,I'd remove battery,fill fuel tank and turn off tap. If it has carbs,drain them. A spoonful of oil down the plugholes might save you bother later.
Block exhaust/air intake to stop critters lodging. Smother it all with ACF50.

I'd also throw an old duvet over it before the plastic tarp and tie it all down.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Dont you live near the sea?

If so letting air under it might not be the best. If you have no other option then make sure its covered in ACF50 (like i just noticed after posting what skub said) or some other repellent against the salt air. Might even be worthwhile moving the brake calipers off discs and wrapping them in poly bags rather than them welding themselves on.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

1888 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:43 pm Not to fussy about the tank paint as its being a rat bike when i get round to it. Oil down ports ill do as its been six month since last ran and probably another 8 now. Yeah bung up holes an intake and fill tank. Last one was showing signs of rust after a winter so been filling them ever since.
I am by the sea Bigyin and front is starting to stick. Probably best just take them off and rebuild over the winter. Will one tin of ACF50 be enough or will WD40 do the same job? I have lots of that :thumbup:
WD40 will do a job to a degree as its a degreasant and water repellent but ACF will do it better as it is from the aviation industry and 1 tin will do the job. Its only any good on metal work so use it only on that. Before you spray it pop the tin in a bucket of hot water as it help it mist better. To get to the awkward parts spray some in the lid and use a small brush to paint it on. Once sprayed it looks wet, its supposed to look like that so dont expect it to suddenly dry off. as the bike is being stored you dont have the "road crap sticking to it" problem as i have on winter commutes. The bike looks like shit but underneath its fine as the crud sticks to the ACF but a jet wash after 3-4 months riding takes it all off
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Don't forget to bung the air intake as well to stop mice getting in. You could also stick some of this in https://www.millersoils-shop.co.uk/tank-safe I stick it in the Le Mans tank to protect it over the 3 or4 months its being played with in the garage over winter.