the Game changer bikes

Anything you like about motorbikes
Horse

Re: the Game changer bikes

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:36 am Well yeah...to me a game changer creates a part of the market which didn't exist before.

I think the Tesla Model S is the easiest to get your head around. Before the Model S you could buy electric cars and you could buy fast cars and luxury cars. You couldn't buy a fast, luxury electric car that didn't cost a few hundred K.

Tesla put it in on the market and then forced everyone else to up their game and start developing cars they previosuly had no immediate intention to develop...something most of them are still struggling with!

I can't think of many bikes which did that.
And the customers probably wouldn't buy? Is that the root of it?

Funny Front Ends? Nah, want forks, etc.

The most radical that bikes have been was shell-suit colour schemes and the current 'broken transformer toy' styling.

So far as radical goes, who led the superscooter evolution? Honda had a 250 on the 2000s, then there was the Burgman & TMax. Without them, there might not be the recent Hondas, including the 'adventure'* version.

* Get an unreliable bike, every trip has potential for adventure.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah absolutely part of it too.

BMW wouldn't make a electric luxury saloon cause they (or rather their customers) are too conservative. Not for 10 years anyway. Tesla come along and upset the apple cart, forcing everyone else to react. They changed the game.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I think that what this thread has shown is that were actually vanishingkly few real game-changing bikes. There were no end of evolutionary improvements, a few large ones, but most quite small. Each of us thinks of standout bikes in our motorcycling lives and those bikes were game-changing for us, but not for motorcycling in general. Most of what we have perceived as game changers were actually incremental engineering improvements, often allied to a change in fashion (which is by its nature cyclical and feeds on past fashions).

The only real game changer that I've seen in 8 pages of thread was, as Demographic said, the Honda Super Cub (C50/C70/C90). That brought personal mobiolity to huge chunks of the world that had never previously experienced it and the basic design was so right that it hardly changed throughout its extended lifespan.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Horse

Post by Horse »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:43 am The only real game changer that I've seen in 8 pages of thread was, as Demographic said, the Honda Super Cub (C50/C70/C90).
Ahem, page 1.
Horse wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:17 pm How about the Honda C90 et al?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Couchy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:15 pm The GS is a good call, of course it could just be called a sports tourer but the reality is it was the first adventure bike made for the road with proper handling and performance so yeah a game changer
If you're talking about the R80G/S, it was hardly a performance bike. 50-odd hp. And I'd say it was really a road bike with a modicum of off-road ability.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:17 pm
Rockburner wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:07 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:34 pm monoshock suspension (everything prior to that had been twin shocks),
The "unitrack" suspension was created in the 30s by Vincent.
(yes it used 2 shock units, but the basic idea was the same.)
The LC isn't even the first Yamaha with monoshock, the DT175MX is earlier than the LC, and there are at least 3 years worth of competition off road bikes with Monocross before the LC.
And I think the first bike with rising rate monoshock suspension was...

TA-DA!

...Kawaksaki's AR50 / 80. I had an 80 as a London nip-about and it was a lovely little machine. Spent half the time on the back wheel and the rest on the front. Amazing how much fun you can have with 10hp.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:12 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:17 pm
Rockburner wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:07 pm

The "unitrack" suspension was created in the 30s by Vincent.
(yes it used 2 shock units, but the basic idea was the same.)
The LC isn't even the first Yamaha with monoshock, the DT175MX is earlier than the LC, and there are at least 3 years worth of competition off road bikes with Monocross before the LC.
And I think the first bike with rising rate monoshock suspension was...

TA-DA!

...Kawaksaki's AR50 / 80. I had an 80 as a London nip-about and it was a lovely little machine. Spent half the time on the back wheel and the rest on the front. Amazing how much fun you can have with 10hp.
Bloody hooligans.