Have you donated to any struggling charity or organisation

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
kendo57

Have you donated to any struggling charity or organisation

Post by kendo57 »

Not trying to find out who donates to charity just interested in what peoples interests are
and if they support them during these tough times.
I have donated to the East lancs railway and will probably give more . I often drive down to the line
with the Gf and sit people watching as the steam trains come in , i find steam trains very relaxing for
some reason. The line is run by volunteers and will need all the help it can get as steam trains are not
cheap to run.
What about you?
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Have you donated to any struggling charity or organisation

Post by weeksy »

NHS got £1500 from my boy recently. Before that it's been BHF and other cancer based charities.

Nothing really unusual in them, so not sure that's what you're after, but that's all i have.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Yes, repeatedly, extra in times of need and every month on direct debit. Why, because I chose to. Not saying which ones as that is my choice, but they are varied and not necessarily "religious". The work they do is important and makes a difference to lives.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Do your research first and make sure they are actually donating a Fair amount of there income to charity. It is surprising has many have CEOs on 450k upward s....
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:03 pm Do your research first and make sure they are actually donating a Fair amount of there income to charity. It is surprising has many have CEOs on 450k upward s....
Due process is necessary. Some of the charities are just money spinners and don't need more. Others are ploughing 85-90/£1 into their work. So important to know these things.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

There's a local charity here, recently set up to provide help for struggling families during this crisis.
We donate the equivalent price of a meal out, each week in groceries.
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

Sorry i was not clear , i did not really mean charities.
I was thinking more of places you enjoyed visiting which are now shut , museums, fairs,
places of interest which are run through donations and are now struggling.
There is a large steam mill engine near me which runs 1st Sunday of each month, they usually
have a side show such as classic bikes and its all run by volunteers. I often go and have a brew
while the engine is run , its this sort of thing i was thinking of.
Anson engine museum is another.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

kendo57 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:09 pm Sorry i was not clear , i did not really mean charities.
I was thinking more of places you enjoyed visiting which are now shut , museums, fairs,
places of interest which are run through donations and are now struggling.
There is a large steam mill engine near me which runs 1st Sunday of each month, they usually
have a side show such as classic bikes and its all run by volunteers. I often go and have a brew
while the engine is run , its this sort of thing i was thinking of.
Anson engine museum is another.
No then.

Well i still pay £20 a month for my Cycling Jump school area, that's not being used, as they'll go under if no-one helps.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Always put money in the poppy appeal each year and seem to be endlessly funding people's efforts on justgiving etc, although I've just told the wife no more unless its relatives or close friends. If I visited an attraction that was run on donations then I'd probably drop a few £ in the tin, but I wouldn't be a regular contributor to anything. That said, I was a member of English Heritage but dropped it a few years ago as we never seemed to have the time to visit anywhere.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

I have 'donated' to a musician, he's a friend, I've had lessons with him.

Every Sunday since March he's done a 'free gig' on Facebook which I've enjoyed.

I don't have much money, but when my 'dole' money came through I sent him a little bit as his sessions helped keep me sane in those early days when I (Like many others) was completely isolated.

I've also bought the music of other musicians that I know from Apres in the Alps.
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Justgiving keep a significant chunk of what you donate so I don't use them any more. Been known to chuck some pennies at worthy causes, most recently Freewheelers EVS who are providing a great free service to the NHS. Will also be donating my own services as a volunteer rider to the Bike Shed team. In terms of preservation trusts and the like, no, not as a rule. Maybe if I was heavily involved with one I might, but everyone's struggling and if they're privately run they generally charge for their admission, same as other businesses.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I'd love to donate money i don't have to a rich man that will give about 2.5% of his profits to a charity that does not exist and then ask for more......

If i had the money, which i really do not #helpgreenman2020 lol.....i would send it to them, but too many people who have money are abssssessssed with telling us how much money they have, showing us how it quite clearly corrupts their minds, without having any care for what comes after!
eccless291

Post by eccless291 »

Yep, booked tickets last week to see a comedian at a local arts centre later this year and topped up the price of the tickets to a round number to help out the venue. These sort of places haven't been allowed to open during the lockdown and when they asked if I wanted to make a donation I thought that a little extra on the cost of the tickets wasn't too much to fork out.