Crazy prices

Anything you like about motorbikes
Potter

Re: Crazy prices

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:04 am
Well that's always been the case, but as i've said many times before, the reality of that is easier for some than others. However, i'm still not convinced that much is going to change.
I don't think it will filter through to you for a couple of years, the global economic machine is like a big boat and it's got enough momentum to keep going a while even when it's run out of fuel (metaphorically). The people playing with big numbers are feeling the changes now, the bloke on the street won't see it for a while.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:44 am
Potter wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:42 am

I can't fault you with that logic, I wouldn't go spending all my cash or doing anything with it (even paying off loans) at the moment, the world has gone crackers and you never know when you'll need it.
Has it really though for many of us ? Apart from wearing a mask, my world, job, life is pretty much exactly the same.
Well, you're lucky... I have lost around half a year's income. Training doesn't pay well, and half of not much is fuck all.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

2020 actually ended up being a good year for me, I got a better job on more money and changed my work-life balance for the better quite a bit. A little ironically I actually put in more hours than I ever did, but the WFH thing now makes them fit around everything else much more easily. Now I often finish mid-afternoon and pick things up again after the little one is in bed for example.

I agree with Iccy's general point though, 2021 onwards is potentially gonna be nuts. That's a non-trivial part of why I changed jobs and started working in Electric Cars, I figure if anything is gonna be stable over the next few years that's near the top of the tree!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:03 pm

I can't fault you with that logic, I wouldn't go spending all my cash or doing anything with it (even paying off loans) at the moment, the world has gone crackers and you never know when you'll need it.
Has it really though for many of us ? Apart from wearing a mask, my world, job, life is pretty much exactly the same.
Well, you're lucky... I have lost around half a year's income. Training doesn't pay well, and half of not much is fuck all.
You're self employed in a minority activity at the best of times, of course something like this would hit you hard. But the vast majority on here are employed drones, so largely unaffected judging by most postings
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Prices of used vehicles is going through the roof in the US. Driven partly by a shortage of chips & also by what some are saying is a 40% inflation rate. Prices of everything is going crazy here. Lumber is up 300%, beef is up 100%, corn has almost doubled, soy too, which put the cost of ethanol up. When fuel costs increase everything else follows.

Good possibility of hyper inflation in the VERY near future.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:47 am I'm tempted to stick my car up for silly money just to see if it sells!

Neighbour did that with his house. It sold in a week.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:55 pm Prices of used vehicles is going through the roof in the US. Driven partly by a shortage of chips & also by what some are saying is a 40% inflation rate. Prices of everything is going crazy here. Lumber is up 300%, beef is up 100%, corn has almost doubled, soy too, which put the cost of ethanol up. When fuel costs increase everything else follows.

Good possibility of hyper inflation in the VERY near future.
What's driving it ?
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Prices of vans has gone crazy here, we used to be able to walk into Ford and away with a new van at a good discount. Now it’s a 4 month wait and list price. Second hand ones are more than a discounted new one was before lockdown if you can find one. Cycles are the same if you can find stock, cycle spares are non existent for some items. Campers and day vans seem expensive too but I’ve only really took notice of vans as we need a couple.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

asmethurst99 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:59 pm What's driving it ?
The US printing money like it's going out of fashion with nothing to back it up. They'd already been propping up the bond market to the tune of SBillions a year since before Trump came on the scene.
The US admits to a national debt of around $30Trillion, but the real number is closer to $200Trillion when you add in all the unfunded pensions & debts etc due in the future. I thought it would all come crashing down under Trump, now I think the DNC picked Biden to take the fall.
California alone has $2.6Trillion of debt & a third of that is pensions that don't exist now & won't magically exist in the future when people want to collect. Meanwhile we have Newsolini giving everyone in the State $600 saying it comes from a "unexpected budget surplus".. when what he really means is that the fucking taxes are too high.

It's all been unsustainable for years, eventually someone will try to kick the can down the road again & it won't move.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Couchy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:41 pm Prices of vans has gone crazy here, we used to be able to walk into Ford and away with a new van at a good discount. Now it’s a 4 month wait and list price. Second hand ones are more than a discounted new one was before lockdown if you can find one. Cycles are the same if you can find stock, cycle spares are non existent for some items. Campers and day vans seem expensive too but I’ve only really took notice of vans as we need a couple.
Yup, I can vouch for that, all seems to have gone very silly price wise, and main dealers were even telling me that they are struggling getting sensibly priced secondhand ones, and not getting part-exs in as individuals can get a lot more and quick sales selling them privately

Having said that there still are one or two bargains out there though- after buying a secondhand and apparently decent nick, but soon discovered as not, shall we say, as described VW Crafter a week ago, I've rejected and returned it and bought new- bargains are without doubt hard to find, but there are still one or two out there if you're flexible on spec and colour and I think I got one, lovely spec with 145hp, SatNav, aircon, cruise, alloys etc - brand spankers with over 30% off list

It's being ply-lined today and delivered tomorrow in time for Donington on Monday and Cadwell tuesday - I think I'm more excited about the van than the Trackdays :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Oh wow, I look forward to this story.

Feel free to do the running in miles collecting the zx6 ha ha.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:03 pm Oh wow, I look forward to this story.

Feel free to do the running in miles collecting the zx6 ha ha.
:D
And I would but it will be full with 3 in it ( on the way home anyway)
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Tricky wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:01 pm
Couchy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:41 pm Prices of vans has gone crazy here, we used to be able to walk into Ford and away with a new van at a good discount. Now it’s a 4 month wait and list price. Second hand ones are more than a discounted new one was before lockdown if you can find one. Cycles are the same if you can find stock, cycle spares are non existent for some items. Campers and day vans seem expensive too but I’ve only really took notice of vans as we need a couple.
Yup, I can vouch for that, all seems to have gone very silly price wise, and main dealers were even telling me that they are struggling getting sensibly priced secondhand ones, and not getting part-exs in as individuals can get a lot more and quick sales selling them privately

Having said that there still are one or two bargains out there though- after buying a secondhand and apparently decent nick, but soon discovered as not, shall we say, as described VW Crafter a week ago, I've rejected and returned it and bought new- bargains are without doubt hard to find, but there are still one or two out there if you're flexible on spec and colour and I think I got one, lovely spec with 145hp, SatNav, aircon, cruise, alloys etc - brand spankers with over 30% off list

It's being ply-lined today and delivered tomorrow in time for Donington on Monday and Cadwell tuesday - I think I'm more excited about the van than the Trackdays :D
I’m excited for you I love new vans 👍 which wheelbase and roof height ?

Local Ford dealer can’t get any small vans no matter the spec, same with ones I’ve called. I want a transit connect swb. I can get the car version with all the extra seats windows etc cheaper than the van version which is madness even allowing for vat. If I can find a black car version I’ll just remove the interior and line it instead of buying a van and getting it lined and carpeted 👍
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Couchy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:51 pm

I’m excited for you I love new vans 👍 which wheelbase and roof height ?

Local Ford dealer can’t get any small vans no matter the spec, same with ones I’ve called. I want a transit connect swb. I can get the car version with all the extra seats windows etc cheaper than the van version which is madness even allowing for vat. If I can find a black car version I’ll just remove the interior and line it instead of buying a van and getting it lined and carpeted 👍
LWB/L2 (which of course is just about the same internal length and width as my old MWB LT and the MWB Crafter) - it's standard low (H1) roof though which is a compromise, would have preferred a higher roof, which means is a bit claustrophobic/ I need to bend down when strapping them in and I'd need to remove the screen of a Multistrada etc to get it in, but transported that size bike would be rare, I can still squeeze 3 sports or off-roaders in which is what I want, and the deal was just too good to refuse.

I gave up with main dealers and used a guy called Richard Bunn @ whitehotvans.com (catchy eh)- easy to deal with, and cracking price- dunno if he'll have or be able to get any Connects but he was listing Caddys and Nissan/Citroen small vans - maybe worth a try if you're stuck
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Our industry (Construction) is often seen as a good thermometer for the economy - it's recovered well despite the ongoing pandemic and things appear good but in the short to medium term there are massive materials shortages that are stopping projects going. After all, who is going to want to spend a small fortune putting foundations in the ground if they can't get the materials to put on top of them to finish the project until early next year (and sometimes longer)? The picture then for developers/investors in every sector may well be very different so, unsurprisingly, projects are already going on hold. If this happens enough then we're into recession very, very quickly (output still isn't back to pre-Covid levels!).

That's just construction, there's obviously already been a lot of discussion about electronic components for cars - but that's also affecting plenty of other consumer goods. There's a real danger of a slowdown so whilst life is "pretty much exactly the same" at the moment, it's significantly more precarious than it has been.