Tubeless tyres for MTB

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Docca

Tubeless tyres for MTB

Post by Docca »

got an explosive flat today. Near the end of the ride, but still annoying.

Is it worth the jump to tubkess? If so, any preference?
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Tubeless tyres for MTB

Post by weeksy »

100% worth it. Can take some effort to setup initially though and expense.

Ideally you want tubeless ready tyres. Where you ride I'd be thinking something like a WTB trail boss fast and light.
You then need rims taping and some Stan's Fluid. Lastly you need a compressor or quick inflation device

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/airshot ... VcQAvD_BwE

All in, you're at about £125 for that lot.

All wheels in my garage are tubeless
Docca

Post by Docca »

Sorry for total novice questions, but here are some more:

Do I just order:

- 29" WTB Trail Boss tubeless tyres
- that inflator thing ( can it be re-pressurised and used multiple times?)
- what tape for rims?
- stans fluid

Also:

- can I do this by myself?
- will these jist never go flat anymore?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tape, depends on your rims. I use 22mm gorilla tape, some love it, some hate it, I love it.
I use 1 wrap of electrical tape, then gorilla tape.

You'd need tubeless valves too, £10 a pair.

If you decide to do it, we'll do together when you come for seatpost. It's not hard, but there's a knack at times. I'll do 1 wheel, you do the other. Couchie watched a few YouTube videos and got it done

eBay tubeless tape and you'll find loads.

I've had 1 puncture in 5 years.
flicker

Post by flicker »

I converted over to tubeless about 2 months back and it's well worth it. Have a look at your wheels first you might find they're tubeless ready in which case you shouldn't need to mess around with tape, the rims on mine are tubeless ready and there's an air tight strip already fitted in the wheels from new, just fit valves and sealant and away you go.
Specialized are doing some good deals on the 2bliss grid tyres at the moment, slaughters, butchers, hillbilly's, purgatorys (shit names I know, but good tyres) for around £20 each, don't buy the non grid tyres though, thin sidewalls apparently

Real men use a stirrup pump to seat their tyres 8-)
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Get a tubeless inflator pump, trust me, it'll save so many mantrums.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

I know nothing about bikes but have also been trying to get into it a bit recently and bought a second-hand MTB. Amazingly, I've actually been using it and go out for about 20 miles twice a week usually.

It was converted to tubeless by the previous owner which is cool, but it does lose a bit of pressure. I usually have to top up the front every week or so and the back every few weeks. Is this normal?

It might not help that, despite buying a MTB, I've only been using it on the road recently and so have been pumping up to 40psi, but even before this it was still losing air at the same rate.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Slenver wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:18 am

It was converted to tubeless by the previous owner which is cool, but it does lose a bit of pressure. I usually have to top up the front every week or so and the back every few weeks. Is this normal?
Yeah it's not uncommon to need a bit every week or 3.... some do, some dont..
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

weeksy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:31 am
Yeah it's not uncommon to need a bit every week or 3.... some do, some dont..
OK, cool :)
Docca

Post by Docca »

They've contacted me to say the inflator you linked to in the first post is out of stock mate. Are any others recommended?

Also. Is that different to a tubeless inflator pump? And is this what I'll be using to top up pressure every few weeks?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well there's loads on the market, but are more expensive as they integrate a lump too.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Airsho ... zyEALw_wcB

Could buy from there?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-joe-blo ... hrEALw_wcB

That's the other sort.

Do you have a floor standing pump? If not, then getting the one above does both jobs?

If you've got the tyres and valves, you could shoot over anyway as I'll do them and you can order pump at your leisure
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Be aware that co2 is meant to bugger up tubeless ....
Docca

Post by Docca »

I've ordered a set of slaughters and butchers...just waiting for delivery. Didn't know buying tape and fluid was so complicated if you don't know what you're doing.

For the pump- I guess something I can sling in the pack and be portable incase I get a flat- but then the home floor option looks appealing, especially as these things aren't supposed to be prone to flats in the same way.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Docca wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:10 am I've ordered a set of slaughters and butchers...just waiting for delivery. Didn't know buying tape and fluid was so complicated if you don't know what you're doing.

For the pump- I guess something I can sling in the pack and be portable incase I get a flat- but then the home floor option looks appealing, especially as these things aren't supposed to be prone to flats in the same way.
I have a Lezyne pump for trail duties, i rekon i carry it about once every 20 days... the rest i just accept i won't puncture.

The floor pump i have is a Park Tools one.... It works really nicely.

The tape and fluid stuff, it's one of them, you get used to the process. It then becomes easy. You'll still likely need a bit of air every 2-3 weeks, they just lose a small amount at times.
MingtheMerciless

If your are using proper tubeless tape avoid the muc-off stuff, its rubbish. Stan's tape seems to be the best.
I've a Topeak "blaster" type work shock pump for seating duties and a lezyne pump for on the trail stuff.
Currently using the Orange Seal Endurance fluid, seems on a par with Stan's sealant. I also add beard trimmings to the mix as a natural matting agent for the bigger holes.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

So if I'm reading this correctly, the reason you get less punctures with tubeless tyres is because you've got a load of jiz in the tyre waiting to seal up any holes, like that slime stuff they used to sell for motorcycle tyres?
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:11 am So if I'm reading this correctly, the reason you get less punctures with tubeless tyres is because you've got a load of jiz in the tyre waiting to seal up any holes, like that slime stuff they used to sell for motorcycle tyres?
Yes.

The tyres are a differnt profile as are the wheels/rims to allow this to seal and bead correctly, but essentially the puncture resistance comes from a liquid good that seals the holes.
MingtheMerciless

Correct, the jiz seals most thorn or nail the punctures and also you don't get snake bite punctures from big hits compressing the tyre against the rim and sandwiching the tube between them resulting in two side by side slits that resemble a snake bite. If the hole won't seal then you can ram a little rubber anchovy into it and that sorts it. It's pretty unusual for you to have to resort to fitting an inner tube, its either a big slit or valve getting ripped out.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

My wheels have a blue tape all the way round over the spoke nipples, does this mean they're suitable for tubeless tyres?
I can break the bead on the current tyres (Schwalbe Smart Sam) with my hands, but it does feel a little bit harder than my old 26" wheeled bike, and it definitely needs a higher pressure to get the tyre to seat after repairing a puncture.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:17 pm My wheels have a blue tape all the way round over the spoke nipples, does this mean they're suitable for tubeless tyres?
I can break the bead on the current tyres (Schwalbe Smart Sam) with my hands, but it does feel a little bit harder than my old 26" wheeled bike, and it definitely needs a higher pressure to get the tyre to seat after repairing a puncture.
No, that's just 'rim tape' which is to stop the tube going into the spoke holes and cutting on the edges of the holes.

Looking at your tyres i don't believe they're tubeless.