Crazy prices

Anything you like about motorbikes
Potter

Crazy prices

Post by Potter »

Is this bloke having a laugh or is this what things go for now?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/adapayn64/m. ... 7675.l2562
Lutin

Re: Crazy prices

Post by Lutin »

Fools and their money......
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Druid

Post by Druid »

CB750, RC30 and RC45 seem about right. Street Triple is about a grand too much. I've no idea about any of the others though
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

He's expensive, always has been
Honda Owner
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Yeah, the glut of cheap credit & lack of point in keeping money in the bank really does seem to have accelerated the prices of some bikes.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Well, I guess as most if not all of us know, if they are rare enough, or not even necessarily really rare but rare to find in a really good and original condition, there will be a buyer and chances are he'll get what he's asking.
I'd love that Tesi but not enough to pay that much for it, mainly as I don't see them ever getting much (if any) above what he's asking in my lifetime, and I'd ride it which would devalue it, at least a bit.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

4 grand for that 125?

3 grand for a 250RS?

Where does he buy his drugs, I want some!
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

Bigjawa wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:37 pm 4 grand for that 125?

3 grand for a 250RS?

Where does he buy his drugs, I want some!
give me a call lol :shhh:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

My Lad bought a car at the weekend, Talking to the dealer he said all his stock has gone UP in value! Shortage of ECU chips being made in China means a shortage of new cars, so nearly new stock is being sold to meet demand and the values have gone up 10-20%!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:29 pm My Lad bought a car at the weekend, Talking to the dealer he said all his stock has gone UP in value! Shortage of ECU chips being made in China means a shortage of new cars, so nearly new stock is being sold to meet demand and the values have gone up 10-20%!
Same with bikes too. All the models I'm interested in have gone up by a fair amount.

Not 690 Dukes though.... :angry-cussingblack:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:49 pm
Same with bikes too. All the models I'm interested in have gone up by a fair amount.

Funnily enough I'm seeing this a lot on the forums - "Everything has gone up except the thing I'm trying to sell" - which I translate to mean in theory everything has gone up until you try to sell it. Like my Defender, I paid £30k, the cheapest comparable one I can find on ebay is £40k, but Webuyanycar says £17.5 and I reckon if I tried to sell it I'd probably get £25k - maybe more if I found the unicorn buyer who wanted that exact one.

I don't know if things have actually gone up, maybe they have a bit but a bloke on one of the car forums did a big spreadsheet over a period of a year showing advertised prices and (with as much info as he could get) what the actual selling price was, and it was surprisingly flat across the year. There wasn't any pre-covid data, so maybe prices shot up during covid and stayed flat since - or at least the rumour that prices have shot up went around and everyone correspondingly put their prices up.

I don't really follow most stuff but I know that the advertised price for watches has gone up, but so has the amount negotiated off the sticker price when they are actually sold. So whilst they've maybe gone up a bit it's not actually as dramatic as people think. One fellow needed some cash and took three Rolexes around to dealers and every dealer offered about 50% of current advertised prices, he was gutted because he thought he was sitting on a lot more than he was.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Potter wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:09 am One fellow needed some cash and took three Rolexes around to dealers and every dealer offered about 50% of current advertised prices, he was gutted because he thought he was sitting on a lot more than he was.
Did he think the dealer was going to offer him retail price??
Potter

Post by Potter »

Jody wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:53 am
Did he think the dealer was going to offer him retail price??
No, but 50% is low.
About 30% less than what they're selling for is what the general rule used to be if you sell to a dealer.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Potter wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:09 am
Supermofo wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:49 pm

Funnily enough I'm seeing this a lot on the forums - "Everything has gone up except the thing I'm trying to sell" - which I translate to mean in theory everything has gone up until you try to sell it. Like my Defender, I paid £30k, the cheapest comparable one I can find on ebay is £40k, but Webuyanycar says £17.5 and I reckon if I tried to sell it I'd probably get £25k - maybe more if I found the unicorn buyer who wanted that exact one.

I don't know if things have actually gone up, maybe they have a bit but a bloke on one of the car forums did a big spreadsheet over a period of a year showing advertised prices and (with as much info as he could get) what the actual selling price was, and it was surprisingly flat across the year. There wasn't any pre-covid data, so maybe prices shot up during covid and stayed flat since - or at least the rumour that prices have shot up went around and everyone correspondingly put their prices up.

I don't really follow most stuff but I know that the advertised price for watches has gone up, but so has the amount negotiated off the sticker price when they are actually sold. So whilst they've maybe gone up a bit it's not actually as dramatic as people think. One fellow needed some cash and took three Rolexes around to dealers and every dealer offered about 50% of current advertised prices, he was gutted because he thought he was sitting on a lot more than he was.
Very possibly true. I've gone from looking at XSR900s, last year 7k-£7.2k got a pretty much new one with say 50-500 miles on the clock. Now the same bikes are 8k+. The cheapest were around 5k, until recently there were none showing under 6k, although I few have now dropped from that.

Also 1090 Adv's were down to 6.5-7k they are now back up to 8.5k+.

GSXS 1000's are still static though which has raised their attraction.

It could well be that it's summer and people are chancing their arm though after lockdown. At the moment I'm not too worried as until I know the Mrs is employed I'm not buying anything but it does ruin my Khazi selling site reading :D

In some ways it's academic, my brother reckons I'm mad as I have a small 4k car loan left and a smallish mortgage with over half the value of it in my offset so I could buy an XSR brand new in cash or easily service the loan. But I'm a bit old fashioned like that and prefer to play it safe esp whilst the world it all a bit mental. Having over a years salary in savings look a while and I aint spunking it whilst it's working for me in the offset. And when I have a perfectly good bike I'd rather spend my money on the kids.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:43 am
It could well be that it's summer and people are chancing their arm though after lockdown. At the moment I'm not too worried as until I know the Mrs is employed I'm not buying anything but it does ruin my Khazi selling site reading :D

In some ways it's academic, my brother reckons I'm mad as I have a small 4k car loan left and a smallish mortgage with over half the value of it in my offset so I could buy an XSR brand new in cash or easily service the loan. But I'm a bit old fashioned like that and prefer to play it safe esp whilst the world it all a bit mental. Having over a years salary in savings look a while and I aint spunking it whilst it's working for me in the offset. And when I have a perfectly good bike I'd rather spend my money on the kids.
I can't fault you with that logic, I wouldn't go spending all my cash or doing anything with it (even paying off loans) at the moment, the world has gone crackers and you never know when you'll need it.

I don't know if the prices are 'real' and selling at that or what, although I think there is definitely something to people having a bit more money to spend with no holidays and no going out, or perhaps not having more but being more willing to spunk it on stuff now living to a ripe old age isn't so certain.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:42 am

I can't fault you with that logic, I wouldn't go spending all my cash or doing anything with it (even paying off loans) at the moment, the world has gone crackers and you never know when you'll need it.
Has it really though for many of us ? Apart from wearing a mask, my world, job, life is pretty much exactly the same.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I'm tempted to stick my car up for silly money just to see if it sells!
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:44 am
Has it really though for many of us ? Apart from wearing a mask, my world, job, life is pretty much exactly the same.
It's not where it's at now, it's where it's going.

If I'd have posted on here two years ago that the whole planet would be in lockdown, trapped in houses, can't go out, no summer holidays, etc, etc, I'd have been laughed off the forum.

Wait until the global squeeze hits, I'd go on about it now but it's as unbelievable to most people as the pandemic was before it happened.
I will venture that it would be prudent to have a few bob to fall back on if it's needed though.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 am
I will venture that it would be prudent to have a few bob to fall back on if it's needed though.
Well that's always been the case, but as i've said many times before, the reality of that is easier for some than others. However, i'm still not convinced that much is going to change.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:44 am
Potter wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:42 am

Dunno the Mrs has been Furloughed since May last year, that's def not normal and it's gonna need paying for along with the other X millions of people who've been on it!