Bye Bye Beemer

Anything you like about motorbikes
Hairybiker84

Bye Bye Beemer

Post by Hairybiker84 »

That's it, gone and done it and got rid of the annoying R1200GSA. Was out for a pootle and stumbled across Blade in Swindon and remembered they had a Yamaha XT1200ZE advertised so popped in for a look. Turns out it was an ex demonstrator that no-one wanted to ride so it had done 1 mile. 20 minutes later I'm out riding it and it ticks the boxes the GS struggled with, most notably much improved feel when riding really slowly.
Picked it up on Tuesday so time for some fettling - let's hope for more satisfying ownership than I had with the Be-em. Never again, twice bitten!
KungFooBob

Re: Bye Bye Beemer

Post by KungFooBob »

On paper the S10 looks good, all the reviews say it's good, but no one ever seems to buy them.

I think people either buy a GS, because it's a GS, or buy a KTM/Ducati, because they're 150bhp+ and completely ignore the 'average' S10.
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

I first noticed the S10 when there were some being used as camera bikes for cycle races a few years back, went over to one of the crews and had a chat, they seemed impressed.
I toyed with the idea of the 1290 but didn't particularly like it when I test rode it, savage throttle response and harsh front end. Chains get tiresome if you're doing long journeys, especially in the wet, too.
The S10 back end is much better than the BMW, doesn't seem to struggle with the unsprung weght, far fewer 'clunks'!
Only time will tell.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

What didn't you like about the GSA?
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

Great, hope you love it
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

Poor build quality, especially resistance to corrosion. The bike had only done 17k when I bought it, 1 owner from new. During the 3 years or so I had it I had;
Starting issues caused by initially starter motor which was improved once I stripped and rebuilt the motor. Then the side stand switch played up, along with a bit of a random gear position indicator. Eventually it wouldn't start at all which was cured by replacing the gear position sender. The battery had been replaced with an Odyssey but it didn't have a great deal of reserve - I replaced this with a Yuasa which seemed a bit better but you'd only get a couple of starts out of it before it started to struggle - queuing for a ferry or the tunnel was a nightmare as you daren't risk turning the engine off too many times so ended up cooking yourself instead!
Fuel gauge packed up within a few months of buying the bike, required a new 'fuel strip' which the supplying dealer provided, this one lasted a bit over a year, I ended up doing a float conversion instead.
Poor headlight.
Clutch slip - ended up putting a new friction disc in, what a mare of a job getting to the clutch.
Always had the feeling that I had to get my foot down quick when coming to a stop before the bike ended up too off balance, apparently something to do with lack of feel from the unconventional front suspension.
Uncomfortable seat for long journeys, I fitted a Touratech but that wasn't much better as you were too held in position.
I think that's it :wtf:
Last edited by Hairybiker84 on Fri May 28, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Needs far more pics.. but CONGRATS !
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

weeksy wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:21 am Needs far more pics.. but CONGRATS !
I'll need to put it back together first :thumbup:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Hairybiker84 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:17 am Poor build quality, especially resistance to corrosion. The bike had only done 17k when I bought it, 1 owner from new. During the 3 years or so I had it I had;
Starting issues caused by initially starter motor which was improved once I stripped and rebuilt the motor. Then the side stand switch played up, along with a bit of a random gear position indicator. Eventually it wouldn't start at all which was cured by replacing the gear position sender. The battery had been replaced with an Odyssey but it didn't have a great deal of reserve - I replaced this with a Yuasa which seemed a bit better but you'd only get a couple of starts out of it before it started to struggle - queuing for a ferry or the tunnel was a nightmare as you daren't risk turning the engine off too many times so ended up cooking yourself instead!
Fuel gauge packed up within a few months of buying the bike, required a new 'fuel strip' which the supplying dealer provided, this one lasted a bit over a year, I ended up doing a float conversion instead.
Poor headlight.
Clutch slip - ended up putting a new friction disc in, what a mare of a job getting to the clutch.
Always had the feeling that I had to get my foot down quick when coming to a stop before the bike ended up too off balance, apparently something to do with lack of feel from the unconventional front suspension.
Uncomfortable seat for long journeys, I fitted a Touratech but that wasn't much better as you were too held in position.
I think that's it :wtf:
That's a pretty honest and real world appraisal. I'd want away from that too.

I hope the Yam treats you much better. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Get in touch with Wiz performance in Leeds.
Or you can always go see Geoff!!!!!!
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

Got round to taking a photo, filthy already! It started raining just as the sales guy was about to do the handover - rained all the way home. I took it round to a mates, guess what - it started to rain 1/2 mile down the road and rained all the way there, and all the way back, stopped just as I came up the road to home! At least it was dry when I went to see my brother, just cooked instead!
Attachments
IMG_20210602_150249.jpg
IMG_20210602_150249.jpg (734.85 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Deadpool2

Post by Deadpool2 »

great looking bike. Hope this one has more happier miles than the BM
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

Been out on it again today, just under 500 miles done, will have to get the first service booked up! Can't really find anything not to like about it.
Drove over 30 miles without coming across a petrol station - even then had to detour to one I definitely knew existed, at least it has usable range once the light starts flashing, still had 2 litres left! Starting to sweat a bit though :shock:
Skub

Post by Skub »

With a new bike I always used to strap a gallon of petrol to the rear and run it until empty,then I know how long I have from the empty light flashing. Most bikes have about a gallon in their reserve.

I haven't done than with the current bike,I must be mellowing in my old age!
Walt Whitman
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Skub wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:10 pm With a new bike I always used to strap a gallon of petrol to the rear and run it until empty,then I know how long I have from the empty light flashing. Most bikes have about a gallon in their reserve.

Used to do the same on my despatch bikes, after I ran one brand new Kawa out after 8 miles on reserve... unfortunately, I was getting round Hanger Lane at the time... fortunately, in those days there was a filling station just off the northbound carriageway of the North Circ and I coasted into it.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Skub

Post by Skub »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:16 pm
Skub wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:10 pm With a new bike I always used to strap a gallon of petrol to the rear and run it until empty,then I know how long I have from the empty light flashing. Most bikes have about a gallon in their reserve.

Used to do the same on my despatch bikes, after I ran one brand new Kawa out after 8 miles on reserve... unfortunately, I was getting round Hanger Lane at the time... fortunately, in those days there was a filling station just off the northbound carriageway of the North Circ and I coasted into it.
T'was meant to be. 8-)
Walt Whitman