Inevitable new bike thread

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: Inevitable new bike thread

Post by The Spin Doctor »

"He's learning" you said... but isn't that what teachers are for? To help us learn from someone ELSES experience?

I forgot to include my Einstein quote...

"“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:24 pm
Horse wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:28 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:43 pm I once turned right into a side street, through a line of waiting cars.
The car at front of gap suddenly reversed, knocking me off.

That couldn't have been foreseen :D
True. It's a shame that cars don't have special lights to show that they might reverse ;)
Save your smart arse comments for somebody who cares.
It's not like you to be snarky, but I knew that if we waited long enough ...

:D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

I was riding up Bethnal Green road in light traffic - loads of market stalls closing for the day. A couple of Side roads people often turn into.

A small car I was following behind had its right-hand indicator on there was great temptation to pass on the inside where there was room as he,d moved over to make a turn , however I didn't and 3 seconds later the car pulled over to the left and parked.
It's just my massive suspicion and complete mistrust of other drivers in London where I do the majority of my riding.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:41 pm
Throwing your hands up and saying "they're inevitable!" just means you're more likely to have the same accident again some point down the line.
Yeah I do that all the time, I wander around throwing my hands up, moaning that there is nothing that can be done and taking a victim stance.
Silly boy.
Potter

Post by Potter »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:45 pm "He's learning" you said... but isn't that what teachers are for? To help us learn from someone ELSES experience?
Teachers point at information, then you either process it or you don't.

I just typed out a massive long post but I cut it because I don't want to get into pseudo-intellectual ming-mong.
So I'll just offer my own advice.

I lecture at two Uni's for MSc students and when I'm engaged in pointing at information (i.e. lecturing) I watch them intently. With the majority I can see light bulbs sparking in their heads, because they never would have stumbled across the information on their own and it opens doors in their mind, but with some I can see them just nod, because they already get it and there is no point trying to drive anything home to them, they might not know all the facts on my slides but they knew the essence of what I was saying before they even entered the room, they are few and they don't need more information, they just need experience. The rest need the lecture because they are able to take the information in but they'll never find the answers on their own and they'll only ever know what someone else tells them.

The key to being a good teacher is knowing the difference and not falling down the rabbit hole of thinking that everyone needs more of what you're pointing at.
Potter

Post by Potter »

By the way, thanks for the offer of the book, god bless :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:01 am
The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:45 pm "He's learning" you said... but isn't that what teachers are for? To help us learn from someone ELSES experience?
One of the most substantial changes, for me, was moving from 'aims and objectives' to 'learning intention' and success criteria'.

Although I had heard the term 'pupil centred learning', this was what made sense to achieve it (along with formative assessment).

Potter wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:01 am The key to being a good teacher is knowing the difference and not falling down the rabbit hole of thinking that everyone needs more of what you're pointing at.
As Spin has noted, crash stats show the riders are still having the main three types of crash, so whatever is currently being done isn't working. AFAIK Spin isn't Alice.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:01 am
As Spin has noted, crash stats show the riders are still having the main three types of crash, so whatever is currently being done isn't working. AFAIK Spin isn't Alice.
Honestly I cba to get into a polite ming-mong about who's the best at knowing more about human psychology and behaviour whilst using a motorised vehicle.

If we meet in the afterlife we'll have eternity to discuss it, but at the moment I'm busy.
Horse

Post by Horse »

That's a date, but you don't need to bring the hat.
The Spin Doctor

So... that's what I've been offering - information. As you say, the next step is yours (and your lad's)
The key to being a good teacher is knowing the difference and not falling down the rabbit hole of thinking that everyone needs more of what you're pointing at...
and being able to recognise a brick wall.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:02 am
So... that's what I've been offering - information. As you say, the next step is yours (and your lad's)
The key to being a good teacher is knowing the difference and not falling down the rabbit hole of thinking that everyone needs more of what you're pointing at...
Racers love a brick wall. Check out Handley's :banana-dance:
The Spin Doctor

Yorick wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:05 am Racers love a brick wall. Check out Handley's :banana-dance:
My first lap of the TT circuit (as a spectator of course) that particular corner scared the sh!t out of me.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:05 am
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:02 am
Racers love a brick wall. Check out Handley's :banana-dance:
https://www.hamleys.com/

:thumbup:
The Spin Doctor

The other one that made me wince was Hillberry.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:31 pm The other one that made me wince was Hillberry.
I once sat on the bank there in 91. Foggy and Hizzy came through flat stick in practice on the mighty RVF Hondas. Scaaaary.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

And GWS Potter junior
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:31 pm The other one that made me wince was Hillberry.
Is it brandish...left hander mild up from bungalow. Bit blind. 😬
Yamaha rocket 3
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

No its Brandywell. 🙂
Yamaha rocket 3
The Spin Doctor

It's the right hander after Brandish... there's just something about Hillberry that sucks you in... with a very solid bank on the outside.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

and a bump on the inside.
Yamaha rocket 3