Inevitable new bike thread

Anything you like about motorbikes
Horse

Re: Inevitable new bike thread

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:44 pm Science Of Being Seen.

The wonder is that the vast majority of drivers see the vast majority of bikes the vast majority of the time. If they didn't, know of us would get much beyond the end of our own road.

I'm more than happy to do a presentation to the forum - I did suggest it to Weeksy a while back
A small part of my day job is conspicuity, of vehicles, pedestrians, signs, etc. Spin knows more about this particular niche than I do. But he doesn't get the toys to play with that I do.

Although we were beaten by the group that were researching conspicuity for search and rescue at sea, comparing various retroreflective, including IR filtered, materials. They blagged a S&R helicopter with fugg off searchlight.

Final Report EASA_REP_RESEA_2017_2
Research Project: CIMSCY
Crew Immersion Suits Conspicuity
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:44 pm IF you accept that it's the rider who has to take responsibility for avoiding the driver's error. There's no benefit to be gained from being right when you're flat on your back.
When I started in rider training, we had a tame copper who said about the times when he had attended a bike crash. The rider would be flat out on the road and would ask "Are you going to nick him?" He would answer "Yes, but it's not going to help you."
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Ahhh well, shit happens, chick's dig scars, get back on the horse and all that, live n learn
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Whysub wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:31 pm
Which was my crash in a nutshell.
Lightning DOES strike occasionally... but mostly riders crash at a distant rumble of thunder

Despite me having over 30 years riding experience, having had THE best bike training you could ever wish for, having ridden for hundreds of thousands of miles in London, throughout the UK, Europe, crazy Russia, and not being complacent, it still happened.
JOOC who told you it was THE best?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Potter

Post by Potter »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:05 am
Lightning DOES strike occasionally... but mostly riders crash at a distant rumble of thunder
You could say the same about pretty much every accident humans have in any capacity, when the H&S nerd comes in he can always point to stuff that might have prevented it. I knocked my own coffee over yesterday, pissed me right off and looking back I can see how it happened and how I could have avoided it, but I'll probably do it again before I die.

This incident was a bloke stopped that didn't know where he was and was trying to follow directions on his phone, he didn't give due care and attention to multiple risks and moved from a static position near a school where loads of parked cars and school buses made it hard to see for both him and my lad. The car driver was a really nice bloke and I looked at it from both perspectives, I might (but probably not) have done what he did, and I might have ended up the same way my lad did. Sometimes shit happens.

Feel free to navel gaze, this is a bike forum and these discussions are all good, but the boy is ok and the bike is scuffed but back on the road, my view on this stuff is that bumps and spills are part of riding a bike, I'd rather accidents didn't happen and one should try and avoid them, but as long as you don't die or suffer a permanent disability then I just accept it for what it is and move on.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Glad to hear your boy didn’t hurt himself too much and he will certainly take something from the experience. Also very impressed at the KTM’s resilience- if that had been on the equivalent learner bike from my youth I’m pretty sure I’d be looking for a new front end
The Spin Doctor

Potter wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:50 am You could say the same about pretty much every accident humans have in any capacity, when the H&S nerd comes in he can always point to stuff that might have prevented it. I knocked my own coffee over yesterday, pissed me right off and looking back I can see how it happened and how I could have avoided it, but I'll probably do it again before I die.
What is it with this constant wish motorcyclists have to trivialise things? I don't get it. Spilling a coffee is in no way analogous to riding a bike and crashing it. You wouldn't argue that balancing a fan heater on the edge of your bath was sensible, but we seem to want to find a way of reducing bike crashes to the same level as balancing a hot coffee on the bath when the fact is one can kill, the other is highly unlikely to.
This incident was a bloke stopped that didn't know where he was and was trying to follow directions on his phone
So quite like millions of other drivers... there will be someone in just about every street in every town in the country who doesn't know where they are and is trying to follow directions on the phone. Heck, I've been struggling to find my own way round local streets I've known since the 80s thanks to the COVID street closures and HS2!
he didn't give due care and attention to multiple risks

Read what I've written about workload. Read about the limited 'visual data' memory buffer that can only hold five or six pieces of visual information at one time and shuffles it along - first in, first out.

Casting "didn't try hard enough" blame doesn't explain the issues that cause these collisions... and that means WE never learn from them. Which is why your lad has just had a crash that every generation of biker has had, because the RIDER has never been given the means to understand why drivers make errors. We just carry on blaming them for not being perfect.
and moved from a static position near a school where loads of parked cars and school buses made it hard to see for both him and my lad.
Which means the rider has to slow down, try to get the best view to search for turning cars, try to find a position where he / she can be seen by the driver and be prepared to take evasive action if the driver still doesn't see the bike.

As I said - I'm not blaming your lad. Road safety generally and bike training specifically has failed riders on this point for a long time. Most trainers do their best to inject personal experience into the syllabus, but NOTHING in the DVSA's approach to bike training prepares riders to deal with the consequences of errors, whether they are the rider's or another road users. The emergency stop becomes a game of beating a radar gun and dodging cones rather than any kind of life-saving exercise. The Hazard Perception test is a game of pointing at the right object and hitting the mouse button at the right moment to score maximum points rather than trying to understand what could happen if the same situation developed in real life. The Highway Code teaches us that we can blame other people for getting it wrong and it's not our fault if that leads to a collision.

The police turn up and confirm that "it was the other guy's fault" for us after it happens. And post-crash the insurance companies then fight to establish blame.

No wonder it's so hard to understand the need to predict, then avoid errors.

And I will honestly tell you I wouldn't have been in a position to do any better when I was a new rider... I crashed my 125 returning it to the 500 mile service when a vehicle stopped unexpectedly in front of me when she didn't need to give way - I didn't hit it but I locked up the rear and fell off. Shortly after getting my 400-F, I smacked that into the back of a car that changed lanes without indicating. Three months later and three days after getting it back from the insurance rebuild with a complete new front end (tyre, wheel, brakes, forks) I crashed it on a wet road when a car stopped unexpectedly and I locked the front.

Every single crash was "the other guy's fault" wasn't it?

in fact, it wasn't till I was some months into my courier career that I began to understand that now, if I crashed, it wasn't just a case of someone else picking up the bill and me being inconvenienced by my missing bike and having to catch the bus to uni and missing out on the club rides, whilst dealing with the inevitable argument with the insurance company... no, this time, no bike - and potentially being injured - meant I didn't eat and couldn't pay the rent either.

And however much I yelled and shouted and swore at drivers, and had a good rant about them down the pub with my courier mates, it did absolute F*CK ALL to prevent the next driver from failing to spot me... and that being the case it was down to me to do the best I could to spot driver about to make the looked but failed to see error and then do something myself to avoid being in the place they were about to go. It didn't matter WHO made the error, the important bit was knowing that it COULD happen, and DOING something about it, not saying "the driver should have done better".
The car driver was a really nice bloke
And the vast majority of them are. The ones who caused me to crash were gutted to have done what they did (even if one woman's husband did get his solicitor to send the obligatory "you were speeding and my client couldn't avoid you" letter later). There are a few gits out there, just as there are a few bikers who DGAF about anyone who gets in their way. But most drivers who cause collisions didn't mean to put anyone at risk.
and I looked at it from both perspectives, I might (but probably not) have done what he did
And if he replayed that scenario 100 times he probably wouldn't have done what he did again, either. Most errors like this, though apparently catastrophic blunders, are actually trivial mistakes in themselves (even if the consequences aren't) and that's what makes them so hard to catch WHEN MAKING THEM... which is what renders the "should try harder" approach to road safety so utterly useless.
and I might have ended up the same way my lad did.

And so might I. We all - on both sides of a 'Two to Tangle' collision - get it wrong.
Sometimes shit happens. Feel free to navel gaze... my view on this stuff is that bumps and spills are part of riding a bike... as long as you don't die or suffer a permanent disability then I just accept it for what it is and move on.
And that's where we part company. This is not 'navel gazing'. This is trying to give you - and indirectly your lad - as well as anyone else who thinks "ride a bike, fall off" is an inevitable chain, 1) an insight into driver error, 2) an understanding of how those errors can impact us, and 3) what we can do about it.

We ride on a knife-edge on a bike. I mentioned elsewhere the crash that woke me up. It was a 'minor' spill - I wanted to get across a pedestrian crossing before a pedestrian stopped the traffic, and was caught by surprise when he didn't stop and wait for everything to stop but walked straight out and forced vehicles to come to a halt to avoid running him over. I locked the front and toppled off at walking pace. It barely hurt, did little damage to the bike...

...but as I hit the deck and rolled over onto my back, I had to watch a Routemaster's front wheel stopping about a metre before it crushed my head.

And that made me realise there is no such thing as an acceptable bike crash.

That's why I've spent ten years on the Science Of Being Seen project (https://scienceofbeingseen.wordpress.com) which has gone nationwide with Biker Down, have three times been a 'keynote speaker' on the Shiny Side Up project, a radically different approach to rider safety in NZ, etc.
this is a bike forum and these discussions are all good
They are if they don't conclude:

"there was nothing I could do"
"it was the other guy's fault anyway"
and "shit just happens".

Yes, I've pleased he's survived, the bike's survived, and I hope he bounces straight back up and gets back on two wheels, and I would also "rather accidents didn't happen" but we have to go further than "try to avoid them"... we need to be taught HOW, WHERE, WHEN and WHY then happen and then HOW we can avoid them.

PM me an email addie and I'll email you a PDF of the Science Of Being Seen book. And if the forum would like me to, I'll happily organise an evening to give you the same SOBS talk I was delivering for Biker Down Kent till COVID intervened.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

And one final word before I go out and run a www.survivalskills.co.uk rider training course...

The expression "live and learn" is the wrong way round. We need to "LEARN IN ORDER TO LIVE".
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:15 am And one final word before I go out and run a www.survivalskills.co.uk rider training course...

The expression "live and learn" is the wrong way round. We need to "LEARN IN ORDER TO LIVE".
And 'learning from experience' requires that you survive it first. Learning from others is far less painful.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Just seen this, glad your kid is ok mate, hope it doesn't put him off :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:50 am
What is it with this constant wish motorcyclists have to trivialise things?
I don't get it. Spilling a coffee is in no way analogous to riding a bike and crashing it. You wouldn't argue that balancing a fan heater on the edge of your bath was sensible, but we seem to want to find a way of reducing bike crashes to the same level as balancing a hot coffee on the bath when the fact is one can kill, the other is highly unlikely to.
For me, if I don't make light of things to do with the less fun side of bikes, it becomes just that, not fun

I don't think I 'trivialise' because that implies that I don't care/learn/think

I definitely learn from every incident - not just the ones that hurt/cost. I learnt a lot from the guy that forced me to the other side of the road and still didn't stop pulling out! I learnt a lot from crashing the blackbird a couple of times. More from crashing the TLs. But I really have learnt as much, if not more, from incidents that 'could have been worse' if I hadn't reacted the way I did. But every incident (avoided or crashed) is different so we are always learning. I read your's and Horse's posts, your stuff on FB. And listen to people more experienced and learn when I get to ride with them

Here, I don't think anyone is Actually trivialising things. Yes it could read like that, but you have a bunch of pretty experienced riders who almost certainly all know that we never stop learning, many of whom are also parents, showing concern for another guy who's son walked away from what 'could' have been bloody serious. I don't disagree with the things you say and it's interesting reading - I hope it doesn't stop Iccy posting updates on how his son gets on when he goes back out

But I do take issue with the word trivialise. That may be how you read it but almost certainly not how it is written/meant

We all know how dangerous our hobby is. We all know we can learn more. And I suspect that I'm not the only one that tries to learn by reading and from riding with others. But if we concentrate on the danger side of the sport/hobby, focus on what might happen, try to eliminate those things, then we lose part of what makes it fun and a passion?

Yes, keep learning, but if we make jokes or don't focus on things, we aren't trivialising at all. Just keeping it a bit light in the immediate aftermath of a scary situation for one of our friends and his family
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Everyone. It is the most difficult course to pass, even getting an application accepted is difficult.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Whysub wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:48 pm
Everyone. It is the most difficult course to pass, even getting an application accepted is difficult.
I think what Spin meant was about comparisons with training available in other countries, making it THE best.

Although, even in the UK, regional police driving schools are never as good as Hendon, are they? ;)
Potter

Post by Potter »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:15 am And one final word before I go out and run a www.survivalskills.co.uk rider training course...

I applaud your passion for the thing that you are passionate about, I appreciate your offer and I'd struggle to put up an argument against good training, however, consider this, a ​geezer I know is one of these tactical urban survival experts, he teaches people how to appropriately deal with a potentially violent encounter. He's ex-military and good at it and he makes a living from it. He lives and breathes this stuff.

Just out of interest, how many advanced urban defence type courses have you been on in the last twelve months?

I ask because you're at least five times more likely to be stabbed in the street than you are to be killed whilst riding your motorcycle. And that's just stabbed, if we consider all violent crime then it's many more times than that. If you're nipping down the road for a pint of milk or a Cornetto without going on one of these courses, especially if you're a young man, then you're taking a big risk.

I take my parenting seriously, but since he's been 5yrs old I let my boy ride/race motorcycles without an advanced course, I don't want to do one and he doesn't want to do one and I don't force it, am I a bad parent for this?

I could offer a pretty similar argument asking how you reconcile letting anyone you love walk the streets without doing multiple advanced urban defence courses, seeing as the risk is more significant.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Potter wrote:you're at least five times more likely to be stabbed in the street than you are to be killed whilst riding your motorcycle.
You reckon a motorcyclist in the U.K. is five times more likely to be stabbed in the street than die crashing his bike?

I’m afraid I’ve known quite a few motorcyclists who were killed in a bike crash. I’ve never known anyone at all who was stabbed to death.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

JackyJoll wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:20 pm
Potter wrote:you're at least five times more likely to be stabbed in the street than you are to be killed whilst riding your motorcycle.
You reckon a motorcyclist in the U.K. is five times more likely to be stabbed in the street than die crashing his bike?

I’m afraid I’ve known quite a few motorcyclists who were killed in a bike crash. I’ve never known anyone at all who was stabbed to death.

You're at least fifty times more likely to be stabbed in the street than you are in the downstairs bog!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:41 pm Just out of interest, how many advanced urban defence type courses have you been on in the last twelve months?

I ask because you're at least five times more likely to be stabbed in the street than you are to be killed whilst riding your motorcycle. And that's just stabbed, if we consider all violent crime then it's many more times than that.

If you're nipping down the road for a pint of milk or a Cornetto
Jeez, mate, what is it with you and dangerous comestibles? :)

As it happens, part of my job sometimes involves working at the side of high speed roads, eg on the hard shoulder of motorways, or with coned-off roadworks. So I have had to take training to deal with those situations. And, FWIW, the first thing I do when getting out of a vehicle is to look for an escape route. Plus, I'll be ready to jump*, listening for tyre squeal or impact on a cone, or tyres along the rib line.

Also, I've had lone worker training too. As it happens, i co-wrote a roadside working training course and planned the lone working check-in procedures our team use.

Earlier in this thread, RockB mentioned avoiding the situation as an option. And that's how I mitigate assault. In fact, on Tuesday morning I crossed a road (no traffic) to avoid someone who looked dodgy. There are places I wouldn't go to at certain times, etc.
0_20210603_165307.jpg
0_20210603_165307.jpg (925.53 KiB) Viewed 756 times
* as I started typing the j, Spotify started playing Van Halen (2015 remix) :)
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

242 deaths by stabbing in the UK in 2019
45,627 knife/sharp instrument incidents in 2019

336 motorcyclists killed in the UK in 2019 - failing to pay proper attention was given as the cause for a majority of them.
16,224 casualties

So your nonsense figure of five times more likely to be stabbed than killed on a motorbike is just that, nonsense. You're actually far more likely to be stabbed. However if you choose to ride a bike then your chance of dying is significantly higher - not just than any other road user (including cyclists and pedestrians) but also of someone walking down the street taking their chances of being stabbed to death.

As with all these things, it's all down to participation levels. More people walk down the street or are at risk of being a victim of a knife crime but the likelihood of it happening is much smaller because the population that participate in that is huge.

Anyway, don't tell your mate - it won't help him to sell self-defence courses.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Pantomime season has come early this year

:banana-dance:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Do I blame the villain or the victim. ?? 🤔
Yamaha rocket 3
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:41 pm Do I blame the villain or the victim. ?? 🤔
He's behind you.