The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: Seiko Tuna

Post by Potter »

Hairybiker84 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:43 am
The ones I like the look of are the Darth. Grandfather and Golden, pretty sure the spring drive and Emporer would be too expensive. Budget ideally £500 maybe £1k if it was something unlikely to lose any money. I've no idea what some of these go for.

Got no idea where to start really.
I can't help on these bud, I'm not a Seiko guy.

If I was shooting for something at <£1k I'd go for a secondhand Hamilton, they're a lot of watch for the money, or perhaps a Tissot, but I don't know much about appreciation or depreciation on them.

I know there are some real fanatical Seiko collector guys out there, but my feeling is that the market for these range of watches has increased dramatically because the higher end side of things has gone even higher, so people are looking at more affordable options. The danger here is that if the higher end bubble bursts then it will have a corresponding effect lower down and if your purchase depends on you being able to sell it and get your money back then you might want to be cautious.

It's obviously a gamble, if you're buying it because you really like it and could afford to swallow it if prices fall through the floor overnight then go for it, but if it's savings that you can't afford to lose then do your homework.
wheelnut

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by wheelnut »

You wouldn't really buy a seiko as an investment that you would expect to make a return on. That said you shouldn't lose a lot ether.
Potter

Post by Potter »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:06 pm You wouldn't really buy a seiko as an investment that you would expect to make a return on. That said you shouldn't lose a lot ether.
I only know from hearing side conversations but I think some Seikos are getting very collectable and people are even making Frankenstein watches and passing them off as originals to make a profit. I don't know if any are going up at the same rate as a Nautilus or anything but I think some are appreciating.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Potter wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:49 am
I only know from hearing side conversations but I think some Seikos are getting very collectable and people are even making Frankenstein watches and passing them off as originals to make a profit. I don't know if any are going up at the same rate as a Nautilus or anything but I think some are appreciating.
They can be, but it’s relative. I’ve got a couple of Japanese domestic model SKXs and they’re worth 2 or 3 times what I paid for them but we’re still only talking hundreds. Most of the Prospexes stay relatively static.

Modding the SKXs is a ‘thing’ so you will see a lot for sale with modded bezels and dials. That’s different to a frankenwatch which are normally butchered POS.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Still need to buy that SXK009J myself actually...

I've got a middle aged milestone birthday in a couple of years and I'm gonna spend a bit on a watch for it. Part of me wants to buy a Seiko Spring Drive just cause I love the movement, the trouble is I don't actually like the watches that much!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Seems like another step change in prices, according to Chrono24 the watches I have in the online collection have increased by at least 10%, one of them by 40% in the last week but it's quite rare and I suppose a single sale at a premium could change the average figure a lot.

I'm still not sure I believe it and I don't know how they work out the estimates, I assume it's by sale price (most people buy through their escrow type thing so they know exactly what the final sale price is), but I'm still a bit sceptical when I hear about people selling to dealers and getting a much lower figure than they expected.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Prices do seem a little mad - even my Seamaster is showing a 299% uplift on what I paid in yr 2000
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Potter wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:52 am Saw one of these earlier, I really liked the look of it. https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.u ... p/17601095
I think there would be a discount off that price too.

Also liked this...
(dunno what the cost is, I didn't ask)

I do like Oris’s styling … that is lovely
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Both nice, personal preference is the B&R though.....
Potter

Post by Potter »

I like the B&R but in the back of my mind I can't help feeling that it's just a blatant copy of the black Rolex Explorer 2 and I have one, so I don't need the B&R. Unfortunately B&R seem to have jumped on the copy bandwagon and they've done that GMT and other stuff like their BR05 (with SS bracelet) which seems to be their version of a Nautilus with a blue face.
I always felt they trod their own path, at least at first, they were never a serious horology house but they were good designers and brought something a bit fresh, although now jumping on the bandwagon seems to be more about revenue than fresh ideas.

I've been wearing my wife's B&R black BRS a lot lately, it looks quite stealthy in all black and it's a nice size on the wrist (39mm), plus it's got a BR03 strap on so it looks retro, like a band.
It's already a bit battered, we bought it at Christmas 2010 and my wife doesn't treat watches kindly, so it's got a new strap but the case has some marks and looks quite cool, plus I don't need to worry about knocking it about. It doesn't look great in pictures but IRL it looks as good as my Nautilus (IMHO).
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:22 am I like the B&R but in the back of my mind I can't help feeling that it's just a blatant copy of the black Rolex Explorer 2 and I have one, so I don't need the B&R. Unfortunately B&R seem to have jumped on the copy bandwagon and they've done that GMT and other stuff like their BR05 (with SS bracelet) which seems to be their version of a Nautilus with a blue face.
I always felt they trod their own path, at least at first, they were never a serious horology house but they were good designers and brought something a bit fresh, although now jumping on the bandwagon seems to be more about revenue than fresh ideas.

I've been wearing my wife's B&R black BRS a lot lately, it looks quite stealthy in all black and it's a nice size on the wrist (39mm), plus it's got a BR03 strap on so it looks retro, like a band.
It's already a bit battered, we bought it at Christmas 2010 and my wife doesn't treat watches kindly, so it's got a new strap but the case has some marks and looks quite cool, plus I don't need to worry about knocking it about. It doesn't look great in pictures but IRL it looks as good as my Nautilus (IMHO).
IMHO, that looks like a £5.99 special from Lidl.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:32 am IMHO, that looks like a £5.99 special from Lidl.
I can't remember what we paid, but I also have a Timex that I really like that cost me something like £4.99 from Asda George - cheaper than your expensive Lidl shite :lol:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Screenshot_20210620-130355_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20210620-130355_eBay.jpg (500.38 KiB) Viewed 517 times
Just purchased this. Probably not to everyone's liking but am quite happy with it as a cheap daily.....
Potter

Post by Potter »

My chap at Rolex called with a yellow gold 41mm submariner that had just come in, but I don't fancy another one, I could flip it at the grey dealers down the road and make a couple of grand but if Rolex found out I'd be blacklisted and no more watches for me. I asked him to swap it out with a stainless steel submariner for my sons 18th birthday which is later this year but he said he couldn't, so I passed on it. My lad wouldn't wear a solid gold sub, it's an elder statesman's watch and it's too expensive to send an 18yr old kid out in anyway.

I feel a bit burned out with watches, there isn't any that I really want now I've got the ones I wanted.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Potter wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:48 am My chap at Rolex called with a yellow gold 41mm submariner that had just come in, but I don't fancy another one, I could flip it at the grey dealers down the road and make a couple of grand but if Rolex found out I'd be blacklisted and no more watches for me. I asked him to swap it out with a stainless steel submariner for my sons 18th birthday which is later this year but he said he couldn't, so I passed on it. My lad wouldn't wear a solid gold sub, it's an elder statesman's watch and it's too expensive to send an 18yr old kid out in anyway.

I feel a bit burned out with watches, there isn't any that I really want now I've got the ones I wanted.
I'd have thought a Rolex would be a bit over the top for a youngster anyway.

Have to say that a good automatic is something special though, if your kid is in any way mechanically minded? I know that at 18 I was dead chuffed to receive my TAG Heuer auto and its the one watch I've kept all these years (I've had lots of others), because it's not only a lovely piece of machinery and tough as old boots, but also because it's tangible evidence of my father's love for me. Now he's gone that's even more important to me.

A decent modern auto that will last many years will still be a good gift for your boy.
non quod, sed quomodo
Potter

Post by Potter »

Rockburner wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:56 am
I'd have thought a Rolex would be a bit over the top for a youngster anyway.
Honestly, he doesn't give a shit, he cares not a jot for material things, he's never coveted them because since he was born we've always been able to have them if we wanted. Him and his mates don't wear designer stuff, it's just whatever shorts and t-shirt come to hand, they could all have whatever they want (within reason) so that latest fashion competition thing you get with most kids in the UK just doesn't exist here.

I told him I was getting him a Sub, he said not to bother, but I'm getting it anyway, right now his horizon is short, he doesn't see the sentimental value in his dad giving him a watch as an 18th birthday present, but when he's my age, if he still has it, he'll be glad that I did.
Stig

Post by Stig »

This is mine, nothing else has ever made me want a watch other than this
Attachments
2FD2A6D0-E8AC-4892-91F5-FCF60021F54B.jpeg
2FD2A6D0-E8AC-4892-91F5-FCF60021F54B.jpeg (837.3 KiB) Viewed 680 times
806722D1-C501-4ACC-8344-F5CF2003B826.jpeg
806722D1-C501-4ACC-8344-F5CF2003B826.jpeg (648.96 KiB) Viewed 680 times
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Got to be a targeted attack?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57818938

I'd imagine they're not the most common of things, easy to spot if they try to sell it?
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:48 pm Got to be a targeted attack?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57818938

I'd imagine they're not the most common of things, easy to spot if they try to sell it?
I doubt they knew what he was wearing, they just saw the car and decided to hang around to mug the owner.

If you read any UK watch forums it's a massive problem in the London area, and other cities are starting to follow.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Want a watch with a GP paint job?

Moto Culture got you covered.

https://motoculture.co.uk/shop

I think #4 is the least worst. Who doesn't like Yamaha Speedblock?

I was surprised to see they've got Seiko movements rather than Chinese.