Bike meets, do they still happen ? Do you attend ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Bike meets, do they still happen ? Do you attend ?

Post by weeksy »

I know Mondays round here used to be Foxes Diner, which is now H Diner... Used to get a fair bunch of bikes and bikers up there back in the day. Was great to catch up with mates.

But i don't think i've been since my lad has been born....

Does anyone do bike meets these days ?
KungFooBob

Re: Bike meets, do they still happen ? Do you attend ?

Post by KungFooBob »

I live 25 miles from Squires, it's a bike meet everyday of the week (if it's sunny). The coffee taste like piss tho'
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I used to live 5 mins ride from the Ace Cafe so used to go about 3 times a week to see mates, I've probably been 3 times since I moved 16 years ago as it's a 30 mile shit ride.

I go through Finchingfield a fair amount but rarely stop, the cafe at Stadishall usually has a load of bikes and I stop there.

Occasionally do the Epping tea hut and when its dry I'll go to Krazy Horse's late nites.

Mainly though I'll ride alone and not stop or will ride with mates and stop at a random pub
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Couple near me, I don't go to either, I'd rather ride a bike than hang about with bell ends
Honda Owner
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:59 am I live 25 miles from Squires, it's a bike meet everyday of the week (if it's sunny). The coffee taste like piss tho'
Ace cafe coffee (and everything else) was like that. Although they did beer and that was alright as sometimes would walk on a Friday night and get pissed and watch the stunts :D Used to be some characters late on Fridays esp Ghosty baiting the police on his R1 and Sparky doing grass cutters and rolling 50 mph drifts on his old blade.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Great Bentley still happens but even though I only live 20mins away I haven't been for years, should show my face really....
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I've always avoided them as usually full of posers.

Only one I went to was Devil's Bridge at Kirkby Lonsdale as a stop off on way to The Lakes.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Yorick wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:19 pm I've always avoided them as usually full of posers.
And police! You can ride round Essex and not see a police car. Go the Dunmow to Finchingfield route on a weekend and you realise why they are all there, yet 2 miles away on just as good roads you can hoon to your hearts content
Le_Fromage_Grande

v8-powered wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:11 pm Great Bentley still happens but even though I only live 20mins away I haven't been for years, should show my face really....
I'm about 30 minutes away, but I don't think I've been since 2005.
Honda Owner
tricol

Post by tricol »

I was hoping there would be lots of meets getting arranged on sites like this, but I guess it's done on other platforms? I'm happy to go to bike meets as long as the ride there is half decent.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I occasionally used to when my Mate still lived round here, but since he emigrated i've not bothered. The reason I don't bother is because they are normally over Policed and attract a disproportionate amount of talentless show offs, which has resulted in a few near misses. Also I really prefer to ride alone, as I very rarely ride for fun anymore, so if I do get out its good to be alone with my thoughts etc.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Big meets is something I did in the first few years of riding but I soon lost interest in them. It was probably the Hastings May Day run that did it. More bikers go to the Hastings May Day run than to the IOM TT (apparently) and I have never seen such dangerous riding as I did that day on the A22.

I don't mind popping in on the well known biker cafes as I know where they are and what I'm getting - toilet, coffee and go. I don't enjoy hanging around and chatting to randoms and the nutters seem to find me quickly.

I often start and finish group rides at Rykas, Box Hill because everyone knows where it is so it's convenient.
Lockdown refugee
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I live in Locksbottom, where the Hastings May Day Run 'starts'. Never done one, mind. Doesn't float my boat.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:41 pm I have never seen such dangerous riding as I did that day on the A22.
Worrying, as it's the A21 that goes to Hastings from Locksbottom. ;)
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Going to Finchingfield on friday with a friend possibly .
Pop in to the Tea hut if i've been out for a mindless blast .
We went to North Weald cafe a few weeks ago in the sunshine - it was nice to sit outside and watch Biggles and his chums .
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

gremlin wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:56 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:41 pm I have never seen such dangerous riding as I did that day on the A22.
I went to the mayday run once, hordes of bikes and very little self control being exhibited by some riders, worst of which was the dickhead on the A 259 between Bexhill and Pevensey pulling a very bouncy wheelie whilst passing between two coaches, one travelling west the other travelling east. That could've been very messy.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:46 pm I went to the mayday run once, hordes of bikes and very little self control being exhibited by some riders, worst of which was the dickhead on the A 259 between Bexhill and Pevensey pulling a very bouncy wheelie whilst passing between two coaches, one travelling west the other travelling east. That could've been very messy.
Sounds like a hero, you're just jealous.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Trinity765 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:41 pm Big meets is something I did in the first few years of riding but I soon lost interest in them. It was probably the Hastings May Day run that did it. More bikers go to the Hastings May Day run than to the IOM TT (apparently) and I have never seen such dangerous riding as I did that day on the A22.

I don't mind popping in on the well known biker cafes as I know where they are and what I'm getting - toilet, coffee and go. I don't enjoy hanging around and chatting to randoms and the nutters seem to find me quickly.

I often start and finish group rides at Rykas, Box Hill because everyone knows where it is so it's convenient.
You're a woman on a motorbike, you'll be a random nutter magnet
Honda Owner
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

gremlin wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:56 pm
Oops - it is indeed :shhh:
Lockdown refugee
millemille

Post by millemille »

Wednesday night used to be bike meet night in Kent; the Oakdene, the Portobello, the Merry Chest, the Blue Boy, the Malta and others that escape me. Rapidly became a magnet for utter, utter fuck knuckles including some who were my mates. After 2 or 3 on the trot that ended up with us being chased by the 5-0 'cos of stupid shit like 120mph stand up wheelies down the M20 I knocked it on the head. It carried on getting worse and the police tried to educate people, with no effect. Then a random passer by got killed by an out of control stunter and the police, understandably, went full on nuclear apocalypse on anyone out on a bike on a Wednesday night.

Now, living 10 miles from Matlock Bath and driving through it pretty much every day and seeing it full of hundreds of bikes I just don't see the attraction...